Julian Peterson to be released

Another reason the Bills might want to wait for upgrading their OLB spot.

The LB pool in free agency is insanely deep right now and talent keeps getting added.

I would love to see us make a play for Peterson, he's only 30 and has made 5 Pro Bowls, including the last 3 years in a row. Would make a great addition to our crew and give our team a lot of added toughness

The LB pool in free agency is insanely deep right now and talent keeps getting added.

I would love to see us make a play for Peterson, he's only 30 and has made 5 Pro Bowls, including the last 3 years in a row. Would make a great addition to our crew and give our team a lot of added toughness

Why was he let go??

Now he's a 30 year old LB that I would sign in a minute. The guy keeps himself in top physical condition and he play hasn't fallen off at all from what I've seen. He's hovered around 90 tackles a season his whole career. He also is effective gettting to the QB blitzing.

There are still a lot of good LBs out there right now. I wonder if Peterson will last long though. The Bills and other teams look to almost be in a holding pattern right now. Maybe focusing more on the draft, and after that seeing what players they need. I for sure would not mind seeing him in a Bills uni, what was he making for the Seahawks? 30 LB still has a couple good years left.

Why was peterson released? Statistically still seems very productive,and at 31 years old, logic would say he still has a couple productive years left. As much as I would prefer re-signing Crowell to signing June or Keiaho. If Julian Peterson is medically cleared I'd take him over any of these free agent lb's. Guy is a sack machine, and good in coverage. and forces fumbles. 24.5 sacks, 3 picks and 9 forced fumbles his last 3 years with the Sehawks. Hopefully Buffalo looks into him.

Why was peterson released? Statistically still seems very productive,and at 31 years old, logic would say he still has a couple productive years left. As much as I would prefer re-signing Crowell to signing June or Keiaho. If Julian Peterson is medically cleared I'd take him over any of these free agent lb's. Guy is a sack machine, and good in coverage. and forces fumbles. 24.5 sacks, 3 picks and 9 forced fumbles his last 3 years with the Sehawks. Hopefully Buffalo looks into him.

See post above concerning the money situation in Seattle, particularly after the signing of Housh. Another solid FA cap casualty that the Bills would do well to sign. Hangartner was a guy the Panthers really wanted to keep but in order to try and keep some of superstars, they had to make some unwanted cuts. Such was the case here. Peterson was a huge signing when he went to Seattle from SF a few years back, and the Bills would do well bringing him in to play for us. He is a solid tackler on the outside and he is a fairly good blitzing LB, who would compliment Mitchell well bringing pressure from the other side, something that Ellison was not effective at last year. I still like June and Keiaho, and I think the Bills should also bring one of those two in to solidify the LB corps with veterans, but Peterson would have a huge impact on the starting rotation. Let's see if we don't at least bring him in for a visit.

I don't think that he's been released yet, but the Hawks have $20 million tied up in their linebackers and Peterson is the oldest of the group. Peterson reportedly refused to take a paycut from his $6.5 million annual salary. There is also talk that the Hawks could draft Curry to replace Peterson (if he lasts to pick number 4).

He's being released, or at least suggested to being released because he won't take a paycut in salary, which coupled with Tatupu's contract and Hill's franchise tag, there's 20 million being spent this year for their linebackers...

If we can sign Peterson, we would be really set with our LB position for the next few years with Mitchell/Peterson/Poz and we can focus on DT and OT in the draft.

I am still not sold on Crowell. He is a ok player....not a very good player.

It would also be nice to have two solid Vets surrounding Poz next year. Mitchell is a good player . Not great but good. And Peterson on the other side with Poz in the middle. Damn. That sounds like a very solid bunch. Then in the draft go after Dline help. It amazing how a good Dline makes a linebacker group look even better. Just ask Ray Lewis.

He might want a big contract but i doubt anyone is going to give him one. There are too many other guys out there right now. Like one other poster said FA LBs are plentiful. That usually isnt good news for guys looking for a big payday. Of course there are exceptions for 'elite' LBs but Peterson i dont believe is seen as an elite LB. Good but not elite. And mostly because he is now in his 30s. Probably gets a 2-3 year deal. How much and do the Bills have it? Guess the Peters deal effects that a lot. But i wont get into that too many other threads.

Grade: 84 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Peterson is a playmaker who brings more than his share of athleticism, speed and versatility to the position. He excels coming off the edge on a blitz and has several ways of pressuring the pocket, using power, speed or a good package of counter moves. He uses his hands very well to keep blockers at bay and rarely stays blocked for very long. He also has the ability to man up on most tight ends or running backs out of the backfield and can cover the downfield routes. He does not have great size, but plays strong. While he can get engulfed by bigger tackles, he does not give them enough of himself to stay blocked very long. Two things he needs to improve on are his ability to recognize blocking schemes as well as his ability to locate the level of the ball. With his rare speed, he is able to compensate for some slow reads. His speed allows him to make plays on both sidelines as well as downfield and he is not the type to take plays off