Will Tony Gonzalez reconsider the Bills now?

SKOOBY

We might trade down to get a extra shot at a TE / DE, which would make sense if can't get another solid FA.

While I'm never opposed to extra draft picks, I'm afraid that trading down would rob us of the opportunity to get a blue chip pass rusher, which, even at the 11 position, could be limited...

Are there any good free agent DE's available right now? even mid level that could come in and produce right away?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy

Tony G isnt going anywhere... I dont know if you have been watching the news but KC is being revitalized also.. Cassel NEEDS a TE.

Never gonna happen (althought thats what i said about Owens)

Are you confusing the Tonys? I'm talking about Tony Scheffler who plays for the Denver Broncos.

We need two new TEs. The vast majority of rookies at any position don't really add serious production for a year or two. I think a TE for a couple years plus a rookie in the first, second or third, would not be a stretch. I would love a Gonzalez or Shefler. I dont really expect it but just because we need to draft one doesnt preclude a trade or FA signing.

How about Gonzo/Scheffler and a blocking TE even later in the draft?

You pick up a blocking TE in free agency (Gonzo is actually a decent blocker, Scheffler's better) and draft Jared Bronson TE Central Washington in the 7th Round. We have a very good receiving TE in Fine. I also like Bear Pascoe--great hands, strong mauling blocker. Not fast, but looks like a football player.

How about Gonzo/Scheffler and a blocking TE even later in the draft?

You pick up a blocking TE in free agency (Gonzo is actually a decent blocker, Scheffler's better) and draft Jared Bronson TE Central Washington in the 7th Round. We have a very good receiving TE in Fine. I also like Bear Pascoe--great hands, strong mauling blocker. Not fast, but looks like a football player.

I have no confidence in Fine becoming a good NFL player. It's possible but I hate TEs like fine who the Bills have been drafting and signing for a decade that don't do anything really good let alone great. You either need to be a great blocker or great receiver or have great speed IMO or you're pretty much worthless in this league as a TE. Fine is a nice little player with some little skills who will make a couple plays here and there but does nothing well and scares no one. We had that with Neufeld and Cieslak and Shouman and 21 other guys.

I think Coffman would be a decent pick in the second or third. I wouldnt mind Pettigrew at all. A couple of those other guys like Ingram look intriguing. I think a 6th or 7th round pick TE has about a 5% chance of becoming a good player.

I have no confidence in Fine becoming a good NFL player. It's possible but I hate TEs like fine who the Bills have been drafting and signing for a decade that don't do anything really good let alone great. You either need to be a great blocker or great receiver or have great speed IMO or you're pretty much worthless in this league as a TE. Fine is a nice little player with some little skills who will make a couple plays here and there but does nothing well and scares no one. We had that with Neufeld and Cieslak and Shouman and 21 other guys.

I think Coffman would be a decent pick in the second or third. I wouldnt mind Pettigrew at all. A couple of those other guys like Ingram look intriguing. I think a 6th or 7th round pick TE has about a 5% chance of becoming a good player.

If you use TE's all the time, they don't "signal" a particular play. If the Bills plan on using Tight Ends in pass plays, then they need a better O-Line and playmaking WR. They just got the latter. Watch for the Bills to swing a deal for a playmaking TE in free agency this week. If they don't luck out, I think we'll take Pettigrew in RD1 or Casey in RD2.

If you use TE's all the time, they don't "signal" a particular play. If the Bills plan on using Tight Ends in pass plays, then they need a better O-Line and playmaking WR. They just got the latter. Watch for the Bills to swing a deal for a playmaking TE in free agency this week. If they don't luck out, I think we'll take Pettigrew in RD1 or Casey in RD2.

I agree. I think we may need to or very well may do both.

l think that he is smart enough to realize that 2 #1 WR's will leave the TE open quite often now. Is there a chance he reconsiders his original stance and comes to Buffalo??

P.S. After getting T.O., this is less of a stretch than we might think.

one old fart is enough..I like the TO move but no Jason Taylors or TGs

absolutely. That would be a formidable, formidable offense. Hopefully noone flames me for the statement I'm about to make, but...with an offense with Trent at the QB, Marshawn and Fred in the backfield, Evans, Owens, and Gonzalez catchin passes, there's no way we couldn't add at least 3 - 4 extra wins to last years total. Dare I even say, we could outscore teams, and not even make any additions to our defense, and still be a playoff contender...

So what if TE's on his back every other play... :thumbsup:

l think that he is smart enough to realize that 2 #1 WR's will leave the TE open quite often now. Is there a chance he reconsiders his original stance and comes to Buffalo??

P.S. After getting T.O., this is less of a stretch than we might think.

No! Time to get an OG. The TE we need is in the draft.

No! Time to get an OG. The TE we need is in the draft.

I'm beginning to think that the TE we need is either Pettigrew or nothing. That's because I want my tight end able to block, and blocking is a major flaw in each tight end except Pettigrew. We may reach for him, or we may trade down for him, but I think if you don't see Scheffler/Gonzales sign with us, that's who we get.