OWENS IN BUFFALO

I had to chime in on the signing, but definitely was not looking forward to reading today's posts as I know most would be a bit on the ridiculous side. I started to read some such as "it's a R Brandon move", "it's a pr move", "why bring a cancer in", "this is just to boost season ticket sales", and several other idiotic posts. So, I am going to post and run, I just can't handle this board sometimes.

I'll start by saying, I was blown away when I heard the news. I was surprised earlier in the week when the Bills were not on the list of teams that had no interest in TO, but signing him was just crazy news. And I really really like the move. The Bills have been looking for solid number two receiver for many years now. And this signing improves the offense by miles. Opposing teams can no longer afford to double Lee consistently, they can no longer blitz at will, or put 8 in the box and focus on stopping the run. They have to now respect the Bills passing game. Plus, I feel that TO can bring a wealth on experience to this team. Who better to give advice on lessons learned to M Lynch than TO? I really feel he can fit in better in a smaller market, where he will not be hounded relentlessly by the media.

I have never been a TO fan, but the Bills really needed a legitimate #2. This guy, even at 35, can still play and is in incredible shape. Crabtree, as some people posted, most likely won't be there at 11 and the Bills need an impact player this year. Crabtree, as with most rookie WR's, would not provide an immediate impact. Now the Bills can focus on the O of D line, or even a TE, with the first round pick. This signing helps the Bills become legitimate contenders. They still have some more work to do in free agency and the draft to complete this team, but they are a much better team today with TO.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first, I didn't like the idea (plus I didn't think he'd come here anyhow), but this team needs players with a little passion -- someone who can light a fire under his teammates -- someone who will be a leader and demand accountability.

I agree, a shakeup is what this team needs and TO might be the sparkplug that gets this train rolling.

I had to chime in on the signing, but definitely was not looking forward to reading today's posts as I know most would be a bit on the ridiculous side. I started to read some such as "it's a R Brandon move", "it's a pr move", "why bring a cancer in", "this is just to boost season ticket sales", and several other idiotic posts. So, I am going to post and run, I just can't handle this board sometimes.

I'll start by saying, I was blown away when I heard the news. I was surprised earlier in the week when the Bills were not on the list of teams that had no interest in TO, but signing him was just crazy news. And I really really like the move. The Bills have been looking for solid number two receiver for many years now. And this signing improves the offense by miles. Opposing teams can no longer afford to double Lee consistently, they can no longer blitz at will, or put 8 in the box and focus on stopping the run. They have to now respect the Bills passing game. Plus, I feel that TO can bring a wealth on experience to this team. Who better to give advice on lessons learned to M Lynch than TO? I really feel he can fit in better in a smaller market, where he will not be hounded relentlessly by the media.

I have never been a TO fan, but the Bills really needed a legitimate #2. This guy, even at 35, can still play and is in incredible shape. Crabtree, as some people posted, most likely won't be there at 11 and the Bills need an impact player this year. Crabtree, as with most rookie WR's, would not provide an immediate impact. Now the Bills can focus on the O of D line, or even a TE, with the first round pick. This signing helps the Bills become legitimate contenders. They still have some more work to do in free agency and the draft to complete this team, but they are a much better team today with TO.

Good post, I agree with your points !

I agree but can we take this one step further. Is TO a stop gap measure until Hardy recovers form his ACL surgery and will he act as a mentor to not only Hardy but possibly Edwards as well? Yes I am excited but do have some reservations about his ME attitude. This is just some rumblings from an old fart.

I agree but can we take this one step further. Is TO a stop gap measure until Hardy recovers form his ACL surgery and will he act as a mentor to not only Hardy but possibly Edwards as well? Yes I am excited but do have some reservations about his ME attitude. This is just some rumblings from an old fart.

Good point. And I think he will help Hardy, Johnson, and Edwards...maybe/hopefully. Actually, I hope Hardy trains with TO and develops a body like TO as well. His work ethic is second to none as well...

One more quick point, what do the Bills have to lose?

This has to be the most stunning turn of events at OBD in years. On the one hand, I've always hated the "me first, look at me!" attitude as personified more than anyone in sports by T.O. On the other hand, what a marketing coup! Holy cow! The Bills just went from National Joke to Nationally Relavent" w/ one move! The dwindling and demoralized fan base is instantly back, and excited. Our offense is certainly better. We'll be on National TV games again, and the merchandise sales are already through the roof. This was pure genius on the part of Russ, w/ a nod to Ralph for signing off on it. My money says says Jouron's input was not a factor at all. Regardless, I always disliked TO, but I think this move, for this team, at this time, was pure marketing genius. Really.

Adam what in the hell kind of Bills fan are You? :thumbsup:

I don't want to get too bent out of shape, since I don't think you meant anything by that comment, but after all the family tragedy and my own health problems over the last few years, I have learned that winning football games isn't everything. I coached different sports for two years and didn't learn as much as I have over the past few years. Character counts more than anything as far as I am concerned- if anyone disagrees, thats fine by me.

If you can't enjoy the game, its not worth it- football is ONLY a game- not the life and death experience that some would make it out to be.

Having been at the Houston comeback game- and believing that our win was never in doubt- thats the type of fan I am.

I don't want to get too bent out of shape, since I don't think you meant anything by that comment, but after all the family tragedy and my own health problems over the last few years, I have learned that winning football games isn't everything. I coached different sports for two years and didn't learn as much as I have over the past few years. Character counts more than anything as far as I am concerned- if anyone disagrees, thats fine by me.

If you can't enjoy the game, its not worth it- football is ONLY a game- not the life and death experience that some would make it out to be.

Having been at the Houston comeback game- and believing that our win was never in doubt- thats the type of fan I am.

I really think the issue of TO's character is way overblown. He works hard in practice, and on the field. He's a model citizen off the field.

He's just a jerk, really. A "me first" jerk.

Still, he hasn't even been a jerk in his first year with a new team.

I think you will be surprised how easy it is to root for him, and the Bills, once the season starts.

Adam You can get as bent out of shape as You wanna get Bro...No biggie...And sure there are Real Life things that are FAR more important than winning Football Games...But the comment came in response to a Football comment...Not a Real Life commentary...I played Organized Sports My whole Young life...I played with some Guys who were straight up arrogant jerkoffs...But if they were jerkoffs who played hard and worked hard I did not care as much...I simply did not hang with them after Games, that's all...

I made the comment purely because You stated You hoped TO led the League in dropped Passes next Season...And regardless of how much character counts to you, and all that stuff, I can't imagine anyone who is a Bills Fan wanting Our Starting WR to lead the League in dropped Passes...Like I said in a previous Post, that kind of attitude is indirectly wishing pain on each and every Bills Fan because it's going to effect the outcome of Games...And We have to sit through it...It's just a strange thing for a die-hard Fan like yourself to say...And I know You are die-hard...

So I asked what the hell kind of Fan You are...If You're the type of Fan who puts character before anything...OK...fine...But hoping someone on Your favorite Team fails...well...that's just messed up if You ask Me...Maybe that's just Me...I don't know... :thumbsup:

This line from an SI article and it's effing funny as hades;

And maybe the most intriguing of all, how is T.O.'s flash gonna play in blue-collar Buffalo? I mean, picturing T.O. in Buffalo is kind of like imagining the Queen of England at a monster truck show. Just doesn't seem to fit.

about as strange as it would be to see the Bills in the playoffs... well here's to hoping!

Adam You can get as bent out of shape as You wanna get Bro...No biggie...And sure there are Real Life things that are FAR more important than winning Football Games...But the comment came in response to a Football comment...Not a Real Life commentary...I played Organized Sports My whole Young life...I played with some Guys who were straight up arrogant jerkoffs...But if they were jerkoffs who played hard and worked hard I did not care as much...I simply did not hang with them after Games, that's all...

I made the comment purely because You stated You hoped TO led the League in dropped Passes next Season...And regardless of how much character counts to you, and all that stuff, I can't imagine anyone who is a Bills Fan wanting Our Starting WR to lead the League in dropped Passes...Like I said in a previous Post, that kind of attitude is indirectly wishing pain on each and every Bills Fan because it's going to effect the outcome of Games...And We have to sit through it...It's just a strange thing for a die-hard Fan like yourself to say...And I know You are die-hard...

So I asked what the hell kind of Fan You are...If You're the type of Fan who puts character before anything...OK...fine...But hoping someone on Your favorite Team fails...well...that's just messed up if You ask Me...Maybe that's just Me...I don't know... B-)

I want him to do that so he'll be gone. Unless we make some real additions, we won't be any better than last year- and we won 7 with smoke and mirrors. We need more than just 1 DL (Stroud). The new center is better than we give him credit for, but Walker is still a hole at RT- and I don't care if people think he was our best lineman- that is a statement of how bad the OL is. Adding a WR on the back end of his career that was get in people's faces won't help. Not man y WR's are leaders. If we were going to sign a jerk, we should have considered Ray Lewis.

Watching the Bills last year seemed like more of a job than something to relax with. If that continues, I will just check online how they did. Football just isn't all that important- and the way the league regards the health of its players......

Guest dog14787
So to celebrate TO's signing, I had to change my avatar. Let me just say, and this is with 53 years of heterosexuality in so far, but this guy is REALLY RIPPED!!!

TO is very intimidating looking even by football standards, but we are looking at the body of one of the best athletes that ever played the game.

TE and TO need to do some photo shoots working out together, the ladies will love it, for a QB, TE is ripped also. :lol:

I want him to do that so he'll be gone. Unless we make some real additions, we won't be any better than last year- and we won 7 with smoke and mirrors. We need more than just 1 DL (Stroud). The new center is better than we give him credit for, but Walker is still a hole at RT- and I don't care if people think he was our best lineman- that is a statement of how bad the OL is. Adding a WR on the back end of his career that was get in people's faces won't help. Not man y WR's are leaders. If we were going to sign a jerk, we should have considered Ray Lewis.

Watching the Bills last year seemed like more of a job than something to relax with. If that continues, I will just check online how they did. Football just isn't all that important- and the way the league regards the health of its players......

I might think that you would want him to be the model citizen he is in his first year, in a new town, and become a changed man, in Buffalo...and have great success, and help the team to achieve great success, too.

Does anybody else feel this move smells like DESPERATION?

It feels like the guy who has lost almost all his money gambling and then spends his last dollar on a lottery ticket.

Is this how you build a championship contender?

Well it sure has created some buzz around an organization that has been asleep for a decade.

So I asked what the hell kind of Fan You are...If You're the type of Fan who puts character before anything...OK...fine...But hoping someone on Your favorite Team fails...well...that's just messed up if You ask Me...Maybe that's just Me...I don't know... :lol:

Because its the wrong move and I want it to come to an end. This is the guy that called out his quarterback in the media in both San Francisco and Philly. In protest to what happened in Philly, he created a public spectacle by working out in his driveway.

This is a results-oriented move. People who run businesses with results as the primary goal instead of how they are supposed to get that results end up with the wrong result

Because its the wrong move and I want it to come to an end. This is the guy that called out his quarterback in the media in both San Francisco and Philly. In protest to what happened in Philly, he created a public spectacle by working out in his driveway.

This is a results-oriented move. People who run businesses with results as the primary goal instead of how they are supposed to get that results end up with the wrong result

You seem to want to be right, more than you want the Bills to succeed. If it works, and he stays for a year and contributes, and the Bills do well...if Johnson and Hardy learn from watching how hard he works, and plays...wouldn't that be a better outcome than you being right?

Most of us, when we disagree with a Bills move, get upset, want to be wrong about our opinion of the move. You seem to have more hatred for TO, than love for the Bills, this time.

You seem to want to be right, more than you want the Bills to succeed. If it works, and he stays for a year and contributes, and the Bills do well...if Johnson and Hardy learn from watching how hard he works, and plays...wouldn't that be a better outcome than you being right?

Most of us, when we disagree with a Bills move, get upset, want to be wrong about our opinion of the move. You seem to have more hatred for TO, than love for the Bills, this time.

I'll probably forget about it in a few months anyways.....

Because its the wrong move and I want it to come to an end.

Then you better buy the team from Ralph, because otherwise I don't think OBD gives a sh-- what you think. For that matter, neither does TBD.

3 years of 7-9, what's the risk? If we're worse, so what. If we're better.......... :blink:

I just back from a trip and I have heard it from a couple of people who know I am a big fan of the Bills. When I first saw that we signed him on Saturday, I was in shock. I am for this move. Owens is a great wide receiver. Could we maybe focus on a guard now and sign Peters to a contract extension?

Then you better buy the team from Ralph, because otherwise I don't think OBD gives a sh-- what you think. For that matter, neither does TBD.

3 years of 7-9, what's the risk? If we're worse, so what. If we're better.......... :blink:

So you don't givea sh-- what I think, but I should give one about what you think...........keep being fickle- I remember all the fans calling OBD and threatening to cancel their season tickets on the day that Doug Flutie was signed........Then he "saved" the team

So I was out of the office yesterday and am back today. I need a podium for my own presser...as the only documented Bills fan in the building, I spent all morning answering question after question from my coworkers about my thoughts on the TO signing. :doh:

My thoughts you might ask... :D:oops:

It feels like the guy who has lost almost all his money gambling and then spends his last dollar on a lottery ticket.

Well it sure has created some buzz around an organization that has been asleep for a decade.

I'm not gonna argue with you. Dead nut on.

Not even close to desperation. Desperation would have been Galloway or Toomer. I really don't think your analogy is even close. This is a solid #2 receiver, how can you question that? Sure, you can debate his attitude to no end, but you can not dispute his talent. To say that this is desperation move is ridiculous...

Not even close to desperation. Desperation would have been Galloway or Toomer. I really don't think your analogy is even close. This is a solid #2 receiver, how can you question that? Sure, you can debate his attitude to no end, but you can not dispute his talent. To say that this is desperation move is ridiculous...

I would argue that since it is only a one year deal coupled with his history of volatility, it reeks of desperation. I don't expect to have after next year, so this to me is almost like they're saying,"..... hey, why not give this a shot....."?

We're further away than just this one player. I certainly don't argue his ability to contribute, but the rest of the puzzle can't be fixed enough this offseason for him to pay off. So he leaves next year, which he will, and you are back to having a hole there and in all likely hood other holes to fill.

just my opinion.