Any questions?

VJ91

Here's the thing. Coles walked away from 6 Million a year guaranteed from the Jets. Now to me, that is a strong clue he just may have wanted more money then that. He came to Buffalo first, and I'm just spit-balling here, but my guess is that he conveyed that desire to Brandon and his circle jerks. No matter what we think Coles might be worth, Brandon knew what needed to be done to sign the guy. I read from "sources" Brandon offered 3 years at 6 Million a year? I'm not a math genius, but that's not more then 6 Million a year, it is the same.

Miami passed, surprised me, I thought for sure the Fins would sign him. But there was good old "cheapskate" Mike Brown, of all NFL owners, willing to give Coles an extra million dollars a year for an extra year in the contract. Who ever thought Mike Brown and the Bengals would "overpay" for a free agent? Small market Cincinnati?

Well, they did not overpay for Coles. They paid the right amount to sign him, according to him and his agent. Sure Brandon, Wilson, the circle jerks and even the vast majority of TSWers out here can sit around and laugh at the money the Bengals overpaid to get Coles. Bottom line? Brandon blew it when he had the chance to "overpay" for Coles himself. And if he would have offered Coles 28 Million dollars last week before he ever left Buffalo and signed him, I'm sure most of the fans out here would be freakin' happy about it, and not mocking out the Bengals right now.

But that's just me.

What you guys are missing when you bring up the fact he walked away from $6M for one year, is he could've made more than that in his first year with a new team without averaging that much in annual salary.

For example, he could've signed somewhere for 4 years, $16M. Thats only an average of $4M/season. But if $8M of that money is guaranteed, he still did the right thing by turning down the Jets' offer.

Here's the thing. Coles walked away from 6 Million a year guaranteed from the Jets. Now to me, that is a strong clue he just may have wanted more money then that. He came to Buffalo first, and I'm just spit-balling here, but my guess is that he conveyed that desire to Brandon and his circle jerks. No matter what we think Coles might be worth, Brandon knew what needed to be done to sign the guy. I read from "sources" Brandon offered 3 years at 6 Million a year? I'm not a math genius, but that's not more then 6 Million a year, it is the same.

Miami passed, surprised me, I thought for sure the Fins would sign him. But there was good old "cheapskate" Mike Brown, of all NFL owners, willing to give Coles an extra million dollars a year for an extra year in the contract. Who ever thought Mike Brown and the Bengals would "overpay" for a free agent? Small market Cincinnati?

Well, they did not overpay for Coles. They paid the right amount to sign him, according to him and his agent. Sure Brandon, Wilson, the circle jerks and even the vast majority of TSWers out here can sit around and laugh at the money the Bengals overpaid to get Coles. Bottom line? Brandon blew it when he had the chance to "overpay" for Coles himself. And if he would have offered Coles 28 Million dollars last week before he ever left Buffalo and signed him, I'm sure most of the fans out here would be freakin' happy about it, and not mocking out the Bengals right now.

But that's just me.

Either way its done whos left that can really catch the ball and is worth 6mil or less a year???

Coles is a slightlty above average number two WR at this point of his career. I don't think he's all that better than Josh Reed, either. Without even thinking about his contract, I could care less that he's a bengal. If the Bills had a playoff caliber team, maybe sign him as a compliment player and overpay a little but we got much bigger issues. I'd like to see the team trade for or draft someone better than Coles.

Coles is a slightlty above average number two WR at this point of his career. I don't think he's all that better than Josh Reed, either. Without even thinking about his contract, I could care less that he's a bengal. If the Bills had a playoff caliber team, maybe sign him as a compliment player and overpay a little but we got much bigger issues. I'd like to see the team trade for or draft someone better than Coles.

c'mon, he's way better than reed, who is a borderline WR3 (but could be effective in that role). almost certainly not worth $7M for the expected production, however.

Either way its done whos left that can really catch the ball and is worth 6mil or less a year???

I count about 20 FA WR's left that can catch the ball OK, worth way less then 6 Million a year.

c'mon, he's way better than reed, who is a borderline WR3 (but could be effective in that role). almost certainly not worth $7M for the expected production, however.

It will be interesting to see how Coles works out with Palmer.

He's very much a "timing" QB on the short and intermediate passes to wide-outs, and since his '05 knee injury, tends to toss a high ball.

I agree he is better than Josh Reed. I also think that his career was far better than Reeds. I guess what I was trying to say was that Coles right now on this team, in this offense, is not that better than Reed. I flat out don't believe we could make things come together in the couple good years he might have left. Build the goddamn lines, run the fricking ball, and play great defense. Screw Coles he's a compliment piece. Let the Bengals give him one last payday.

That's the correct point. Yes, he is better, but at what price? And is signing a Free Agent more important? Because if we did sign him and he was a bust, the same people criticizing the non-signing would be criticizing the contract if we cut him.

But that's just me.

Have you watched Laverneus Coles play the past couple of seasons? He is nothing special. Certainly not worth 4 years and 28 million dollars. Receivers are a fickle bunch. Very few have great seasons year after year. I don't think the Bills wanted him that badly to get into a bidding war with the Bengals. What is more important is getting Trent Edwards to play like an NFL QB. A good QB can make very mediocre receivers look very good.

Have you watched Laverneus Coles play the past couple of seasons? He is nothing special. Certainly not worth 4 years and 28 million dollars. Receivers are a fickle bunch. Very few have great seasons year after year. I don't think the Bills wanted him that badly to get into a bidding war with the Bengals. What is more important is getting Trent Edwards to play like an NFL QB. A good QB can make very mediocre receivers look very good.

Signing Coles at those dollars would have been a problem. If he makes the pro bowl we will look pretty dumb but that is not happening.

He certainly did NOT need to pay him 7M per year. Good job Russ....this was a win for the Bills. I would have taken the 32yo WR for 4M per year...certainly NOT 7M....way overpaid!!!

It will be interesting to see how Coles works out with Palmer.

He's very much a "timing" QB on the short and intermediate passes to wide-outs, and since his '05 knee injury, tends to toss a high ball.

I think several people on this board tend to toss a high ball (or two) before posting. :wallbash:

Signing Coles at those dollars would have been a problem. If he makes the pro bowl we will look pretty dumb but that is not happening.

I thought the idea was to get to the playoffs, not get your players to the Pro Bowl?

PTR