Fox Sports/Pat Moran reports Bills not confident they will get Coles

LINK

I spoke with a source this morning that tells me the Buffalo Bills are not confident Laveranues Coles is going to sign with the team, and that the club is prepared to investigate other options for landing a number two receiver alongside Lee Evans.

What’s known is the Bills have an offer on the table to Coles. What’s not is how much the offer is for and how many years, although I'm told it's for three years for around $18-million. According to the source, Roosevelt Barnes, the agent for Coles is seeking a deal of $25-million over four years with at least $10-million being guaranteed. Coles left $6-million on the table with the New York Jets last week to become a free agent. He’s to arrive in Cincinnati this morning and a decision between the Bengals and Bills should come by late this afternoon.

The Bengals are looking towards Coles as a replace...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open up the check book and get him signed. Getting another WR and a TE threat for Trent to get the ball to as a safety valve will make everything better. After that, add a couple more guards, and the offense will be pretty good.

Are the Bills stupid. If he left 6 million behind to look for more, how can they offer that contract???? That's insulting. Do the math. 18 divided by 3 is 6! They offered exactly what he left on the table. What about 3 years for 21 million. This is ridiculous. I don't know what to think anymore

Are the Bills stupid. If he left 6 million behind to look for more, how can they offer that contract???? That's insulting. Do the math. 18 divided by 3 is 6! They offered exactly what he left on the table. What about 3 years for 21 million. This is ridiculous. I don't know what to think anymore

He left 6 million guaranteed on the table. Different from how much per year. Plus that is more than I think Coles is worth.

You do realize that they don't just divide the total amount of the contract by the years and that's what the player makes, right? It's all about the guaranteed money, that's what's important.

You do realize that they don't just divide the total amount of the contract by the years and that's what the player makes, right? It's all about the guaranteed money, that's what's important.

I understand that, but it's possible that he and his agent don't see it that way. I know they don't want to overpay, and I know he's not a stud anymore, but I think he's exactly the kind of WR we need as a #2

Open up the check book and get him signed. Getting another WR and a TE threat for Trent to get the ball to as a safety valve will make everything better. After that, add a couple more guards, and the offense will be pretty good.

You're forgetting: an 11th overall draft pick, and starting LB, DE, CB and SS. Unless the Bills are getting some of the earmarks in Obama's spending spree -- I'd say Ralph better take on a second job to afford the kind of contracts that you are negotiating.

Coles is not worth the type of money he is seeking and I don't fault the Bills for not "showing him the money."

Do you think his agent comes back to us to see if we will up the offer?

I'd fully expect that, yes. This situation, like the Houshmandzadeh one, seems like its purely about the cash. So they're going to do whatever they can to get as much as possible, and that means pitting the two teams against each other in a bidding war.

Wow,

Everyone's freaking out.

When Coles walked away from the Jets, it was widely viewed as a big risk on his part. There was much skepticism that he would get a free agent offer which would have justified his decision to enter free agency.

Doesn't the fact that the Bills are the only team to offer him a contract show that in fact they might have offered him a contract which will overpay him?

No other team was even interested until the Bengals lost T.J.

And isn't it significant that the Miami Dolphins with his buddy Chad Pennington, and the man who drafted him Bill Parcells, had no interest in him?

The Bills made him a damn good offer. I'm surprised it was that much in view of the lack of competitive bidding. If he goes to Cinci, good riddance I say. He's always been a high-maintenance, ego-driven player. Let him take his act to someone who'll give him stupid money.

If he accepts the Bills offer, fine. If that isn't good enough for him, that's fine too.