What, realistically, would have to happen for the Bills to Contend

Virgil

We can't changed what's already happened. It's done. We know that a good majority of the fans out there are unhappy with our coaching situation, how the season ended, and what how our current offseason is going.

Now, Ralph know's that he has to have the confidence of the fans to sell tickets next year and, due to last years collapse, the normal optimism really isn't going to cut it. When you blow a 5-1 lead, you really have to do something to earn the faith of your fanbase.

So, the question is, what would the Bills have to do going forward to make you believe in their ability to contend next season? I'm not asking what it would take for you to support the team. (I'm not opening that one). I'm asking what would it take in the offseason, and maybe even into the season to make you believe the Bills will have a shot at the playoffs.

Right now, I believe that a team lives and dies by their QB, unless you have an amazing D like the Ravens and Titans last year. Case and point, look at the games when Trent played scared and JP played....well whenever JP played. I don't know which Trent Edwards is going to show up next year and Fitzpatrick, I believe, would have to compete to be a back-up on most other teams. I would love to see the team trade for Cutler, even if it's a first because I don't think that there is a player out there at 11 who would bring a better value to us. But, I don't see this happening. (While in the realm of not happening, I would also trade for Owen Daniels from the Texans. Once again, I don't really see anyone outside the top 5 bringing more value to the team than this guy.)

What do I really think they can do, nothing. There isn't enough talent in this year's draft to make that much of a difference and while I believe that many of the Free Agents so far have gotten overpaid, that was what needed to be done to bring talnet to the team, and it's money we had. Plus, Brady being back puts the Pats back on top and there is rumor of Peppers going there which...well, you know. The Jets appear to be building a solid D, but their offense is still a mystery and who knows if the Phins can repeat last years success. No matter what, the Pats still have us beat and the Jet's pry do too.

Unfortunately, due to how the team collapsed last year, the normal pre-season marketing of having a great group of young guys with great potential isn't going to cut it. I don't say this out of spite, because there is nothing more that I want than to see this team succeed. Unfortunately, I just see us slipping more and more down the ranks of respectability with the Lions.

And for all the fans out there saying, "it's only been a few days, calm down", please let us know what it is that has you excited about next season, or what you are hoping to see happen. I'm hoping it's not just blind faith.

The Team needs to be gutted. New FA Talent evaluators, new scouts, new coaches except for April.

While I don't disagree...What I'm asking is, what can they do this offseason to make them contenders this upcoming year.

New owner, new front office, new coaches, new scouts, new players but the same old hard headed fans that stick with them through all the low quality crap they throw at us can stay.

Realistically - We would need to trade Lee Evans and use the extr 9 million to shore up our offensive live with legitimate NFL lineman. At least that way we run effectively and allow Edwards time to read the field. At best we're a mediocre offense at that point. Reed, Jackson, Roscoe and Hardy... that sounds about like Jacksonville WR core. Lynch and Freddy behind a real line could put up good numbers.

We'd need to catch lightning in a bottle and draft an absolute Rookie of the Year for our definsive line. Our defense would have to be the best in the league to make up for our weak offense.

Brady would need to bust his knee again.

Ralph must seel the team

We must hire a real coach

We must hire a real GM who can bring in real talent evaluators

as long as Ralph owns this team we will never be a contender again. He got lucky with Polian and he then went ahead and fired him

I have seen owner's with deep pockets invest heavily in "proven" talent and still not get to the playoffs (redskins).

Money helps, but selecting the right starting talent with a strong bench is what will get us back to the promised land. Unfortunately, we don't appear to have either in great quantity. Therefore when we lose a starting player, we lose a bunch. Some areas have great depth and others don't even have adequate starting talent ( i.e DE, TE, LB)

We can't changed what's already happened. It's done. We know that a good majority of the fans out there are unhappy with our coaching situation, how the season ended, and what how our current offseason is going.

Now, Ralph know's that he has to have the confidence of the fans to sell tickets next year and, due to last years collapse, the normal optimism really isn't going to cut it. When you blow a 5-1 lead, you really have to do something to earn the faith of your fanbase.

So, the question is, what would the Bills have to do going forward to make you believe in their ability to contend next season? I'm not asking what it would take for you to support the team. (I'm not opening that one). I'm asking what would it take in the offseason, and maybe even into the season to make you believe the Bills will have a shot at the playoffs.

Right now, I believe that a team lives and dies by their QB, unless you have an amazing D like the Ravens and Titans last year. Case and point, look at the games when Trent played scared and JP played....well whenever JP played. I don't know which Trent Edwards is going to show up next year and Fitzpatrick, I believe, would have to compete to be a back-up on most other teams. I would love to see the team trade for Cutler, even if it's a first because I don't think that there is a player out there at 11 who would bring a better value to us. But, I don't see this happening. (While in the realm of not happening, I would also trade for Owen Daniels from the Texans. Once again, I don't really see anyone outside the top 5 bringing more value to the team than this guy.)

What do I really think they can do, nothing. There isn't enough talent in this year's draft to make that much of a difference and while I believe that many of the Free Agents so far have gotten overpaid, that was what needed to be done to bring talnet to the team, and it's money we had. Plus, Brady being back puts the Pats back on top and there is rumor of Peppers going there which...well, you know. The Jets appear to be building a solid D, but their offense is still a mystery and who knows if the Phins can repeat last years success. No matter what, the Pats still have us beat and the Jet's pry do too.

Unfortunately, due to how the team collapsed last year, the normal pre-season marketing of having a great group of young guys with great potential isn't going to cut it. I don't say this out of spite, because there is nothing more that I want than to see this team succeed. Unfortunately, I just see us slipping more and more down the ranks of respectability with the Lions.

And for all the fans out there saying, "it's only been a few days, calm down", please let us know what it is that has you excited about next season, or what you are hoping to see happen. I'm hoping it's not just blind faith.

You asked what do they need to do to be competetive again.

1. Bring in a competent center- Though he was a back up he did start on a line the gave up the fewest sacks I am willing to say they upgraded here thus far.

2. Bring in a veteran Possession reciever at number 2 slot (though we know hes the #1 guy just dont want o upset the deep threat) They are pursuing Coles but unlikely to happen if it did our offense has already improved with these two moves.

3. Bring in a Vetern LG - Rumor has it this is already in the works even still you know this is what they are going to do.

4. Sign Greer and trade mcgee- so tire of seeing him get burnt only trade mcgee after you got another returner in the draft.

5. Bring in a OLB or MLB or both- maybe through a trade Parrish should be availbale dont need an overpaid punt returner that can do nothing else. Especially since they dont even use him in end arounds.

6. Either bring in the SS or the FS that is starting capable- probably through a trade

7. Draft talent and not need for depth. The problem with this team is they get too focused o their need instead of the best talent available at the position they are drafting. Since everyone talks about the Pats that is EXACTLY what they do- They shore up the need in FA and draft the best possible player.

8. Finally the HC (dick) needs to play to win. His philosophy though kept the game close the results were usually the same a LOSS. Take the game from the first possesion and dictate their game dont let your game be dicatated by the other team.

Create an Identiy for your team. DONT CONCEDE THE DIVISION fight for the division I dont care how good the other teams are let your team know you believe in them and they can win in this leaugue against any team, as Bruce smith says in the move the little giants Football is 90 % mental and 10 % physical build up the toughness and practice outside, give your team the true home field advantage.

This is all realisitic. But the reality all falls on the scouting of players and the HC ability to change his philosphy.

*** Sorry i did overloook one thing A BIG DT that can hold up a couple of guys to give our ends a chance to get to the QB.

In the NFL all teams have an equalized cap to spend so that part is even for all teams.

What the top teams have is:

1) An owner who is committed to spending the money that he is allowed to spend.

2) A personnel group who are able to find the proper veteran players in FA and who draft top players right through round 7

3) A top notch coaching staff that can teach these newly acquired players how to win.

I question whether any of the 3 points above applies to the Bills so my answer to your question is ................

ralph must die

bills must move to toronto

new owner with pockets he's willing to reach into

Harsh, but its probably true

The city of Buffalo, I believe, is the 68th biggest city in America surpassing cities such as Orlando, Glendale, Anchorage, Las Vegas, Green Bay, Hartford, and Hollywood.

Boggles me.

While I don't disagree...What I'm asking is, what can they do this offseason to make them contenders this upcoming year.

Good question we need a #2 WR, LG and some depth on the O-line. On defense they need at least 1 LB, 2 DE's, DT and a better scheme. The trade route may be a better option. Waters at gaurd, Braylon and or Rogers from Cle. Just some Wags, may not be realistic. FA's Tank Johnson, Coles, Harrison, Brooks or Lewis.???

Good question we need a #2 WR, LG and some depth on the O-line. On defense they need at least 1 LB, 2 DE's, DT and a better scheme. The trade route may be a better option. Waters at gaurd, Braylon and or Rogers from Cle. Just some Wags, may not be realistic. FA's Tank Johnson, Coles, Harrison, Brooks or Lewis.???

Boys...because that's what it seems many of you are when it comes to Bills Fandom...the answer to this question is very simple and not even debatable. The smart will choose to think about this, and not take offense to my abrasive style that has come from years of my self head bashing trying to make people understand....Seriously - remove my venom and you will find there is only one answer to this man's question.

The Question

What Realistically, Would have to Happen for the Bills to Contend?

The Answer

Nothing.

There is not one realistic thing that can happen to change this team into a winner. The closest possibility would be hiring a bonafide proven GM and about 5-7 years. But even that is out of the realm. Ralph is your problem. Beginning middle and end of story.

My 2 cents....

1. I dont know why there isnt much talk about resigning Greer. Hes younger than Mcgee and Mcgee will be a free agent next year. I would sign the younger guy and let Mcgee go in free agency next year. With McKelvin and Parish on special teams Mcgees return skills arent needed like they use to. But hey were the Bills so we'll probably lose Greer this year and Mcgee next so we can draft another CB in RD 1.

2. Sign proven talent and dont overpay for journeymen. Pat Williams wasnt asking for crazy money yet we still let him go. Winfield probably makes about the same as kelsay and Clements was probably close to what we signed Dockery for. As soon as its feasable financially cut Kelsay.

3. Trade down before you trade up. The Losman and McCargo picks were simply horrendous. More 2nd picks are gold, quality players without the first round price.

4. If Edwards doesnt develop, get one of the blue chip QBs in next years draft. I agree with the poster above, if you dont have a Ravens type defense you are not going to win without a top QB. When i found out on here Trent has never

had a 300 yard game I went wow, didnt realize that.

5. Fire the entire front office.

6. Fire Jauron.

7. Do whatever it takes to get Cowher, give him GM position too if he wants that. Whatever it takes, money-title I dont

care just get it done. If not get a Shanahan.

8. I said this before, if were going to turn this around I almost think we need to take a step back this year and have a top 5 draft pick next year to get one of the great QBS coming out next year.

Here's what needs to happen:

Free Agency/offseason moves

1. Coles is signed and can produce his 2008 numbers.

2. We sign or trade for a competent LG that is at least a marginal upgrade over Douchebag Dockery.

3. Peters is extended and gets his fat, lazy ass to OTAs and camp

Draft

1. we draft an impact pass rusher(s) at DE, preferably not a white, high-motor guy.

2. We draft a solid receiving threat at TE. He is ready to play on day one.

3. We draft a LB that's an upgrade over Ellison

Players

1. Trent takes another step. Plays at least 14 games.

2. ML's suspension is short and/or Fred Jackson can carry the load while he's out. Jackson plays like the end of last year.

3. Evans becomes a 10-15 TD guy with Coles in the lineup.

4. Josh Reed stays healthy.

5. Peters returns to 2007 form and stays healthy. Butler stays healthy.

6. Schobel returns healthy, gets double-digit sacks with help on the other side.

7. Whitner is embarrassed by his 08 performance and takes a step forward.

8. Youboty picks up where he left off and contributes to nickel blitz again.

9. Leodis takes a step forward at CB.

10. Poz disrupts the backfield more.

11. Stroud stays healthy

12. Trent/Evans or ML steal a couple games with big performances to offset coaching blunders.

Coaching

1. Dick really does improve game management.

2. Dick gets team ready to play in the 1st quarter. Not the second half.

3. Dick ends infatuation with deferring and gets the offense on the field first.

4. Kugler gets his head out of his a** and gets these guys physical. Or else fans throw him in Erie canal and float him back to Lockport and we beg Mouse to come back for a season.

5. Turk remains committed to the run like the last 3 games. Only asks Trent to make 2-3 big plays in the passing game a game.

6. Bobby April doesn't get run over by bus (or by Marshawn)

Schedule/AFC

1. Some opponents not as strong as they appear. God knows we won't outcoach them.

2. Pats D fails them, we steal a game. Because there's no way Golden Boy and Moss don't come back strong.

3. Jets don't get an answer at QB.

4. Miami takes a step back. Especially Pennington.

5. 10 games gets a wild card, not 11+

We hit 80% of these, we got a shot at the wild card. IMHO, of course.