Tim Graham on AFC East

On ESPN RADIO today, Tim Graham mentioned that Buffalo will have a hard time in F.A. and moving out of the cellar of the AFC East.

He cites several reasons. I don't live in New York and have never been to Buffalo, so some insight will be helpful.

Graham said the following:

1. Buffalo, N.Y. is small. No large hotels, sites, or attractions for free agents. No nightlife for free agents.

2. The stadium is old and run down compared to the newer facilities for the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets. And, the weather is more attractive, especially for free agents to go to Miami.

3. Bills haven't been to playoffs in 9 years and Buffalo is the cheapest with spending. The only attraction to Buffalo for a free agent would be its more historic past.

4. The Bills have too many holes to fill and so rather than signing 1-2 mid-level to upper-level free agents, Buffalo will buy 5-6 free agents on the cheap. Graham also says that Buffalo playing in Canada may bother potential F.A.'s.

5. The Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins already have gotten significantly better with draft picks (for Cassell) and top of the line F.A. signings such as Scott with the Jets. Graham says Buffalo has already fallen further behind.

COMMENTS Welcome!

Graham's sad report says don't expect anything better than the Fitzpatrick signing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ESPN RADIO, Tim Graham mentioned that Buffalo will have a hard time in F.A. and moving out of the cellar of the AFC East.

He cites several reasons. I don't like in Buffalo, N.Y., so some insight will be helpful.

1. The Patriots just got better by opening up cap space with Vrabel and Cassell traded. According to Graham, the Patriots now have and additional $20 million to resign players and go into free agency. And, the Patriots signing of Fred Taylor and a high second round pick improves the Patriot's depth.

2. The Jets have had multiple signings to improve their team and play in a newer stadium that is more attractive to free agents.

3. The Dolphins have young talent, resigned key players, including linebacker, Channing Crowder and have Bill Parcells for draft and operations.

Graham believes the Bills won't leave the cellar in the AFC East for the following reasons:

1. Buffalo, N.Y. is small. No large hotels, sites, or attractions for free agents.

2. The stadium is old and run down compared to the newer facilities for the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets.

3. Bills haven't been to playoffs in 9 years and Buffalo is cheap with spending. The only attraction to Buffalo for a free agent would be its more historic past.

4. The Bills have too many holes to fill and so rather than signing 1-2 mid-level to upper-level free agents, Buffalo will buy 5-6 free agents on the cheap.

5. Buffalo is a small town with no nightlife for free agents.

COMMENTS Welcome!

I've never lived or visited Buffalo, but Graham's sad report says don't expect anything better than the Fitzpatrick signing.

Radio comments are hard to provide a link for, but for what it's worth:

I hate to say it, but FA is mostly about the coin. Some players will sign with a team like

the *patsies for the chance to win (Taylor), then others will sign with a team stricly for

the dollars (Haynesworth).

Buffalo isn't that bad. We seem to have quite a few explayers from both the Bills and especially

the Sabres wo still live in town.

Like Tim Grahm, but if he actually said these things, maybe he should do a bit more

research.

I really don't think that nightlife is as important as it gets made out to be - during the season, how many nights per week are these guys going out? They work on Sundays - it sort of puts a crimp in their late-night style. And when they've got some time off, they can jet out to anywhere in the country. I can understand there being some appeal to being a celebrity in New York City, but I really don't believe there's such a huge gap between the social lives of Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Baltimore, or Phoenix.

2. The stadium is old and run down compared to the newer facilities for the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets. And, the weather is more attractive, especially for free agents to go to Miami.

I never knew the weather was more attractive in NYC and Foxboro over Buffalo? Miami, well duh, but it's pretty much a wash between the other two or has it stopped snowing in those two other areas during the winter?

Funny thing is, on WGR the other day, Graham said that he was moving back to Buffalo in June.

I heard that too. The bottom line is money. The majority of players go to the highest bidder. It's just business.

On ESPN RADIO, Tim Graham mentioned that Buffalo will have a hard time in F.A. and moving out of the cellar of the AFC East.

He cites several reasons. I don't live in New York and have never been to Buffalo, so some insight will be helpful.

1. Buffalo, N.Y. is small. No large hotels, sites, or attractions for free agents. No nightlife for free agents.

3. Bills haven't been to playoffs in 9 years and Buffalo is the cheapest with spending. The only attraction to Buffalo for a free agent would be its more historic past.

4. The Bills have too many holes to fill and so rather than signing 1-2 mid-level to upper-level free agents, Buffalo will buy 5-6 free agents on the cheap. Graham also says that Buffalo playing in Canada may bother potential F.A.'s.

5. The Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins already have gotten significantly better with draft picks (for Cassell) and top of the line F.A. signings such as Scott with the Jets. Graham says Buffalo has already fallen further behind.

COMMENTS Welcome!

I've never lived or visited Buffalo, but Graham's sad report says don't expect anything better than the Fitzpatrick signing.

1. Outside of the bay area (49ers and Oakland), NYC (Giants ans Jets), and Miami (dolphins) I think the nightlife compares with the majority of NFL cities ....... I find it hard to believe Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburg or Detroit are happening towns nightlife wise.

2. I really don't think a FA will base a career move on the shineness of the stadium ..... practice/workout facilities maybe ... medical facilities maybe .... but not stadiums. And good weather is in the eye of the beholder ..... would you rather practice and have camp through a cool autumn in WNY or in the 98degree heat of Miami?

3. sounds good at first blush ..... but the Pats stunk for years and were able to build through it ...... Cowboys stunk for years ..... Green Bay stunk for years ....... Cards stunk forever ....... the NFL is cyclic every team stinks for a while and is good for a while

4. Very valid point about the number of holes needing to be filled ..... that shouldn't scare away FAs, it should attract them. I do agree it would scare away the "premire" 100 million dollar FAs, but like you said we don't need him right now we need ten 10 million dollar men. As far as Canada ..... I say bull sh--.

5. I may have to agree with point #5 ..... but before I do let's see if Brady is fully recovered from his knee, and I want to see who the Jets have at QB.

our facilities are a big problem, we need to tear down the ralph and put a stadium up by the water like all other cities that have access to a lake or rivers. why do you think players like to play for dallas or new england or mark cuban in basketball, its because these owners will spend money to make their players happy with nice work our facilities and stadiums. we are a poor small market team i know but ralph needs to stop being so stingy.

On ESPN RADIO today, Tim Graham mentioned that Buffalo will have a hard time in F.A. and moving out of the cellar of the AFC East.

COMMENTS Welcome!

Graham's sad report says don't expect anything better than the Fitzpatrick signing.

1 is true, or at least players (some of them, anyway) think it's true. See: Chidi Ahanotu living in Toronto, and Willis' cracks about Applebees.

2 is absolutely true. I've seen some of the newer stadiums in the league in recent years, and the Ralph doesn't compare. At this point in its lifespan, it's functional, nothing more. More about the weather later.

3 speaks for itself. Players take pay cuts to sign with the Pats. Why? They think they'll have a chance to play for a championship. Buffalo used to be like that. Lately, not so much.

4: He's probably right about the FAs. (Look where all the $$$ they threw at Dockery and Walker got them, and to be honest, there aren't all that many big names left out there.) Not so sure about the Toronto angle, although that might have changed once the players saw what that alleged "home game" was actually like.

5: To read it in Tim's own words, click here: Buffalo out to slow start in free agency

Last year, they went 0-6 against the rest of the AFC East.

Two days into the free-agency period, the gulf between the Bills and the rest of the division seems to have widened.

Funny thing is, on WGR the other day, Graham said that he was moving back to Buffalo in June.

He is. When he told me he was being mocked for the decision, I replied, "People across the country are going to say, "He's doing WHAT ?!?" ... but the ones from around here will completely understand." However, there's a big difference between the Grahams moving home (his wife is from here), and a young, single, rich football player from someplace like Florida or California moving here. And it's not all about the snow. Y'all know that. If the money is equal, does that guy move to NYC or Boston or Denver ... or Buffalo?

I would think house prices would be in Buffalo's favor.

very true, except our cheap real estate is offset by INSANE property and income taxes.... FL doesnt have state income tax... thats a big take home difference when you are making millions! their property taxes are FAR LESS than NY.

thank our worthless politicians.

COMMENTS Welcome!

#6-10 Coaching staff

These cats dont care about the weather nightlife or whatever. They wanna get paid. They play football for a few months, deal with living there, then after the season they go where ever they want.

1. Outside of the bay area (49ers and Oakland), NYC (Giants ans Jets), and Miami (dolphins) I think the nightlife compares with the majority of NFL cities ....... I find it hard to believe Cincy, Cleveland, Pittsburg or Detroit are happening towns nightlife wise.

2. I really don't think a FA will base a career move on the shineness of the stadium ..... practice/workout facilities maybe ... medical facilities maybe .... but not stadiums. And good weather is in the eye of the beholder ..... would you rather practice and have camp through a cool autumn in WNY or in the 98degree heat of Miami?

3. sounds good at first blush ..... but the Pats stunk for years and were able to build through it ...... Cowboys stunk for years ..... Green Bay stunk for years ....... Cards stunk forever ....... the NFL is cyclic every team stinks for a while and is good for a while

4. Very valid point about the number of holes needing to be filled ..... that shouldn't scare away FAs, it should attract them. I do agree it would scare away the "premire" 100 million dollar FAs, but like you said we don't need him right now we need ten 10 million dollar men. As far as Canada ..... I say bull sh--.

5. I may have to agree with point #5 ..... but before I do let's see if Brady is fully recovered from his knee, and I want to see who the Jets have at QB.

1. I'd add Dallas to the list, and Atlanta, if you are talking about hip-hop oriented entertainment...maybe a few others. But your point is taken, and one I have argued for awhile. Unfortunately, for the Bills, they are in a division with a team from NYC and Miami...both on the "better night life list". Boston has more upscale stuff, but overall, is a fairly crappy city for nightlife...at least it was years ago. Plus, Foxboro isn't exactly near any real nightlife.

2. While I'd like to believe the stadium wouldn't play a big part, I'm guessing it does. A new stadium, dressing rooms, training room, etc., can be pretty impressive to a young man, I imagine. I know that when I looked at prospective employers, a great corner office, in a new and well equipped building really made an impression. The stadium is their office. Also, think it makes a statement, to some, about the commitment to the team, from the owner and community.

3. True...but, players like most people, are driven more by the short-term. I think that works most for NE* (and maybe the Fins, because of Parcells).

4. The Bills really don't have many holes to fill, IMO. They have some depth needs, but only need to make real impact at about 4 positions between FA and the draft.

5. Far too early to make an offseason assessment. FA just began, and the draft is yet to come. So far, the others have made more progress...but this isn't a sprint.

These cats dont care about the weather nightlife or whatever. They wanna get paid. They play football for a few months, deal with living there, then after the season they go where ever they want.

Why did Dockery go to Washington, instead of Detroit (who offered more $$, from what I am reading)?