Tim Graham on AFC East

On ESPN RADIO today, Tim Graham mentioned that Buffalo will have a hard time in F.A. and moving out of the cellar of the AFC East.

He cites several reasons. I don't live in New York and have never been to Buffalo, so some insight will be helpful.

Graham said the following:

1. Buffalo, N.Y. is small. No large hotels, sites, or attractions for free agents. No nightlife for free agents.

2. The stadium is old and run down compared to the newer facilities for the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets. And, the weather is more attractive, especially for free agents to go to Miami.

3. Bills haven't been to playoffs in 9 years and Buffalo is the cheapest with spending. The only attraction to Buffalo for a free agent would be its more historic past.

4. The Bills have too many holes to fill and so rather than signing 1-2 mid-level to upper-level free agents, Buffalo will buy 5-6 free agents on the cheap. Graham also says that Buffalo playing in Canada may bother potential F.A.'s.

5. The Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins already have gotten significantly better with draft picks (for Cassell) and top of the line F.A. signings such as Scott with the Jets. Graham says Buffalo has already fallen further behind.

COMMENTS Welcome!

Graham's sad report says don't expect anything better than the Fitzpatrick signing.

Alll being said, I would never buy another ticket from this franchise....We will not win until new ownership shows up and that could spell the end of the Bills in WNY....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alll being said, I would never buy another ticket from this franchise....We will not win until new ownership shows up and that could spell the end of the Bills in WNY....

Thanks for all thoughts. Winning and solid contract offers will change F.A.'s and all players perspective of playing for the Bills. I just want a season where Buffalo makes the playoffs again. I'm at the point where I would settle for a close first round loss.

There are no other Bills fan that I'm aware of in Reno, NV. Most of the AFC EAST coverage I get through national news or by west coast/local media outlets only give comments or thoughts like what I heard by Tim Graham. All thoughts both positive and negative for those closer to Orchard Park have been great.

Thanks!

On ESPN RADIO today, Tim Graham mentioned that Buffalo will have a hard time in F.A. and moving out of the cellar of the AFC East.

He cites several reasons. I don't live in New York and have never been to Buffalo, so some insight will be helpful.

1. Buffalo, N.Y. is small. No large hotels, sites, or attractions for free agents. No nightlife for free agents.

2. The stadium is old and run down compared to the newer facilities for the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets. And, the weather is more attractive, especially for free agents to go to Miami.

3. Bills haven't been to playoffs in 9 years and Buffalo is the cheapest with spending. The only attraction to Buffalo for a free agent would be its more historic past.

4. The Bills have too many holes to fill and so rather than signing 1-2 mid-level to upper-level free agents, Buffalo will buy 5-6 free agents on the cheap. Graham also says that Buffalo playing in Canada may bother potential F.A.'s.

5. The Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins already have gotten significantly better with draft picks (for Cassell) and top of the line F.A. signings such as Scott with the Jets. Graham says Buffalo has already fallen further behind.

COMMENTS Welcome!

Graham's sad report says don't expect anything better than the Fitzpatrick signing.

That rundown is sort of true ... But everything I said was in response to a question from the hosts about how you sell an organization that hasn't been to the playoffs in nine years. I then went down the list of how losing teams can recruit, and told a story of how I tried to figure out which WNY hotel Laveranues Coles was staying in and thought to myself "He can't be thrilled with his surroundings," because Buffalo hotels are substandard compared to what athletes are used to. When I covered the NHL, Buffalo hotels were a running joke. These guys usually stay in Ritz Carltons and Renaissances. When they come to Buffalo, they stay at the Hampton Inn.

I also imagined what it must have been like for Fred Taylor to see Ralph Wilson Stadium and Gillette Stadium on back-to-back days. I said The Ralph is fine, but it doesn't compare to a brand new arena with a cool mall, a Hall of Fame, hospital and movie theater attached to it.

I never came remotely close to saying what's in No. 4. Canada wasn't even mentioned during the segment and I never predicted what types of players the Bills would sign or how much they would spend.

I also never said Fitzpatrick was going to be their best signing. Hangartner alone is more significant, and as Bulldog and I discussed Friday on WGR, I think they have a legit shot at Laveranues Coles.

Not sure where Nightcrawler got all that.

As for No. 3, the first part is true, the second part I did not say.

I did say Buffalo's best shot of getting free agents is to overspend to compensate for its lack of recent success. They'll have to way overbid to compete with teams like the Patriots.

But it's cool that somebody would listen to what I have to say and take notes. Thanks for posting this.

That rundown is sort of true ... But everything I said was in response to a question from the hosts about how you sell an organization that hasn't been to the playoffs in nine years. I then when down the list of how teams can compensate for losing, and told a story of how I tried to figure out which WNY hotel Laveranues Coles was staying in and thought to myself "He can't be thrilled with his surroundings," because Buffalo hotels are substandard compared to what athletes are used to. When I covered the NHL, Buffalo hotels were a running joke. These guys usually stay in Ritz Carltons and Renaissances. When they come to Buffalo, they stay at the Hampton Inn.

I also imagined what it must have been like for Fred Taylor to see Ralph Wilson Stadium and Gillette Stadium on back-to-back days. I said The Ralph is fine, but it doesn't compare to a brand new arena with a cool mall, a Hall of Fame, hospital and movie theater attached to it.

I never came remotely close to saying what's in No. 4. Canada wasn't even mentioned during the segment and I never predicted what types of players the Bills would sign or how much they would spend.

I also never said Fitzpatrick was going to be their best signing. Hangartner alone is more significant, and as Bulldog and I discussed Friday on WGR, I think they have a legit shot at Laveranues Coles.

I did say Buffalo's best shot of getting free agents is to overspend to compensate for its lack of recent success. They'll have to way overbid to compete with teams like the Patriots.

But it's cool that somebody would listen to what I have to say and take notes. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the clarifications, Tim. I found it hard to believe you said a couple of those things...turns out you didn't.

The hotel situation in Buffalo really is sad. But, instead of the Hampton, the Bills should consider a suite at The Mansion, and show them a different kind of style. That is, if The Mansion is still nice.

Thanks for the clarifications, Tim. I found it hard to believe you said a couple of those things...turns out you didn't.

The hotel situation in Buffalo really is sad. But, instead of the Hampton, the Bills should consider a suite at The Mansion, and show them a different kind of style. That is, if The Mansion is still nice.

I did check The Mansion first. It's the only place in Buffalo that should be used to impress celebrities, prominent politicians, etc.

I did eventually find out where his room was booked. Without naming it, you would be disappointed in the choice.

But before you bag on the team ... the Bills might not have sent him there. He and his agent might have booked it on their own just in case they needed to stay overnight.

I did check The Mansion first. It's the only place in Buffalo that should be used to impress celebrities, prominent politicians, etc.

I did eventually find out where his room was booked. Without naming it, you would be disappointed in the choice.

Oh, God forbid, the Adam's Mark. (Just a guess, of course.)

F.A. signings such as Scott with the Jets. Graham says Buffalo has already fallen further behind.

COMMENTS Welcome!

The catch 22 is that winning would change all of this.

That rundown is sort of true ... But everything I said was in response to a question from the hosts about how you sell an organization that hasn't been to the playoffs in nine years. I then went down the list of how losing teams can recruit, and told a story of how I tried to figure out which WNY hotel Laveranues Coles was staying in and thought to myself "He can't be thrilled with his surroundings," because Buffalo hotels are substandard compared to what athletes are used to. When I covered the NHL, Buffalo hotels were a running joke. These guys usually stay in Ritz Carltons and Renaissances. When they come to Buffalo, they stay at the Hampton Inn.

You're a celebrity here, you know. :rolleyes:

So you essentially said the same things you wrote about on the blog last night. Guessing the rest of Nightcrawler's notes may have been the host's reactions to your statements? Dunno.

And as Dean said, thanks for clearing up any confusion.

Tim, as you know many Bills fans sleep, eat and breathe the Bills, probably to a point of being unhealthy. More importantly, thank you for the clarification.

How about the Pats with,Brady Back, tougher running game, Probably Greer, and two draft choices in the top 32?

where they will surely find one or two of those really good linebacker in this class.?

I said the *Pats with Brady back will be better. I am not worried about Fred Taylor, a team with pretty good injury prone RBs got another pretty good injury prone RB, there is still only 1 football to run.He is no better at this point in his career as Sammy Morris. Up until last year with Mayo the *Pats have had a pretty bad run of drafting early as well. Maurony, Chad Jackson, and that safety that I cant even remember his name come to mind. Now they have a new guy running the draft, maybe they will do well maybe not.

You're a celebrity here, you know. :rolleyes:

So you essentially said the same things you wrote about on the blog last night. Guessing the rest of Nightcrawler's notes may have been the host's reactions to your statements? Dunno.

And as Dean said, thanks for clearing up any confusion.

That's exactly true (the story part, not the celebrity part). What I wrote last night was the substance of my radio segment. In fact, the moment I hung up, I wrote that blog while the ideas were fresh in my mind. I had a one-liner about the Dolphins that made the hosts laugh out loud, so I made sure to use it again ...

Doesn't sound like he has many options then.

Miami may not be interested at the money Coles wants

But their tune would certainly change when you start talking about the money the Bills are willing to spend- which is a fare cry what Coles wants

then they get very interested