With the signing of Hangartner

in FA? With Wood, Unger and Mack available in the draft, do we still use a top pick. I know they all have huge upside, but Hangartner is only 26 and if he plays well then there wouldn't be a spot for them. I would have rather signed Birk and had him groom a young lineman, but now I don't know what we do. I also hope we don't use one of our first two picks on a guard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we need a G not a C now

I vote for some pass rush with the first round pick. DE is a glaring need to me, and now that we've signed a center, getting a potentially better center is a "moderate need". If the opposition's QB doesn't have 6 seconds to throw each pass, our CBs, LBs and Safetey's will all be better.

This is a good question.

Part of the answer is that both Mack and Unger rotated between guard and center at the Senior Bowl.

The skill set of both positions is similar but as a rule of thumb, centers can play guard a bit more easily than guards can play center.

I think the beauty of the Hangartner signing is that he gives us flexibility in terms of future personnel. As is common, OLs are put together with the 5 best OLs on the team who can man those positions.

Not to be technical, but didn't the Bills make it clear that they were going to play him at center? That seemed to be the pretty clear message from OBD and on all the major reporting notes that came out on the trade.

I vote for some pass rush with the first round pick. DE is a glaring need to me, and now that we've signed a center, getting a potentially better center is a "moderate need". If the opposition's QB doesn't have 6 seconds to throw each pass, our CBs, LBs and Safetey's will all be better.

i agree about DE is the biggest need overall. I was just talking about the oline. He was asking if we need a C in the draft. The answer is no, we do not. Right now Hangartner is listed at the center, so we need a G on the oline, because there is no one there right now.

Also, while I like this signing, wasn't the biggest complaint about Fowler that he wasn't big enough to handle the massive NTs we face in the division? If that's true, Hangartner isn't much of an upgrade in terms of size. Fowler was 6'3" and 310. Hangartner is listed at 6'5" 301. I realize that leverage means a lot on the line of scrimmage in terms of size, but he's basically the same build as Fowler. Does anyone else see this as a problem? Either way, I think Buffalo must still get another OL in FA, and certainly should draft a G or C in the third round as this class is pretty deep for OL.

Not to say that I don't like the pick up ....... I do.

But everything I've read says he is a "technique" type of blocker who relies on angles and leverage. I'll be the first to admit I'm not real knowledgable about line play but it sounds to me he may not be the right man to face a 3-4 NT six times or more a year. Sounds like he'd make a bang up guard, but personnally I'd still be looking for the big strong anchor kind of center.

But everything I've read says he is a "technique" type of blocker who relies on angles and leverage. I'll be the first to admit I'm not real knowledgable about line play but it sounds to me he may not be the right man to face a 3-4 NT six times or more a year. Sounds like he'd make a bang up guard, but personnally I'd still be looking for the big strong anchor kind of center.

I would definitely explore the option of picking up a center through the draft. Either way, I believe this will be an upgrade over Fowler or Preston. Hangartner can play guard if need be, thats a plus

By the way, there are very few big, strong, anchor type of centers. The vast majority of centers are the "technicians who understand leverage and blocking angles."

Duke Preston (6'5" 326) I believe was the heaviest starting center in the league last year.

Geoff Hangarten is 6'5" 301.

Jeff Saturday (6'2" 295) is considered a finesse center.

Birk is said to anchor well although he's listed at 6'4" and 309 pounds.

Here's the heights and weights of the 2009 Pro Bowl Centers:

Andrew Gurode 6'4" 318

Shawn O'Hara 6'3" 303

Kevin Mawae 6'4" 289

Nick Mangold 6'4" 300

Casey Weigman 6'2" 285

As you can see, only one of them is heavier than Hangarten.

People get all hung up on heights and weights but really the only question that counts is "can a guy play football?"

Furthermore, centers tend to be the smallest of offensive linemen.

By the way, there are very few big, strong, anchor type of centers. The vast majority of centers are the "technicians who understand leverage and blocking angles."

Duke Preston (6'5" 326) I believe was the heaviest starting center in the league last year.

Andrew Gurode 6'4" 318

Shawn O'Hara 6'3" 303

Kevin Mawae 6'4" 289

Nick Mangold 6'4" 300

Casey Weigman 6'2" 285

People get all hung up on heights and weights but really the only question that counts is "can a guy play football?"

Good point :doh:

Andrew Gurode 6'4" 318

Shawn O'Hara 6'3" 303

Kevin Mawae 6'4" 289

Nick Mangold 6'4" 300

Casey Weigman 6'2" 285

My point wasn't so much on size but on technique ...... and maybe the lack of that "type" of center is why the 3-4 defense is so sucessful. Mawae is a GREAT example @ 289 not one of the biggest centers in the league, but he's one of the best (or at least he used to be) stopping the inside rush.

The article I read from Tim Graham said that GH is 6'5" and 315# and will definitely play center, as this is his preferred position. He's also looking forward to the challenge of facing Wilfork, Jenkins (his former teammate), and Ferguson twice a year.

The article I read from Tim Graham said that GH is 6'5" and 315# and will definitely play center, as this is his preferred position. He's also looking forward to the challenge of facing Wilfork, Jenkins (his former teammate), and Ferguson twice a year.

I really don't want to be so easily appeased by the Bills (and most every other team's) lack of aggression in the free agent market.

That having been said, I'm liking their calculated and shrewd moves. There's a chance of them getting some really good value, some real good return on investment on some of the players they've signed (Hangarten, Fitzpatrick) and pursued (Coles, Simmons).

They've been a bit underwhelming but so has most everyone else.