Whitner might play free safety full time

BeastMode54

The Bills are reportedly considering moving Donte Whitner to free safety full time.

Buffalo toyed with this idea last offseason, but nixed it to keep Ko Simpson in the lineup. The Bills believe Whitner's cover skills are wasted playing "in the box," however, and think he'll be a bigger playmaker in center field.

This worries me for the simple reason that I watched an interview with Fewell where he talked about added a safety. If we draft a DB with the first pick because of this move I will cry. If Mays from USC was in the draft, I wouldn't have a problem, but he's not. PLEASE no DB with the 11th

Scott played decently for us as a SS didn't he? What are the FA SS prospects like?

Sean Jones. If we get him I'd gladly have Whitner playing FS. I've said over and over that I think Whitner reminds me of a young Brian Dawkins. I think that he'd make more big plays from that position. Sean Jones is a hard hitting guy who makes plays on the ball from the SS spot. I think that him and Whitner would be the perfect compliment to one another.

Sean Jones. If we get him I'd gladly have Whitner playing FS. I've said over and over that I think Whitner reminds me of a young Brian Dawkins. I think that he'd make more big plays from that position. Sean Jones is a hard hitting guy who makes plays on the ball from the SS spot. I think that him and Whitner would be the perfect compliment to one another.

It would be awesome if we got Sean Jones

A young Brian Dawkins? Wow, what Bills games have you been watching? What has he done to be compared to a future Hall of Famer? You must be one of those guys comparing Trent to Tom Brady after week 6 too....

I've always thought Whitner would be better at FS. Coming out of tOSU he had good speed,decent coverage skills and was a hitter but lacked ideal size for an NFL SS. It surprised me they put him there. Some draft experts even projected him to CB. Bring in a hammer at SS and move DW to FS and I bet he excels.

I like it. I don't know if Ko Simpson will be back next year. Sean Jones would be a good addition, Dawan Landry is a RFA but he would be a good addition as well. I'm not sure if he plays SS, but that Atogwe from the Rams is a real good player and I think he is a UFA.

As far as the draft goes, I don't think we are going to draft a safety in the first round, but Patrick Chung from Oregon is a real good player who should be there at our 2nd round pick. He is fast and can flat out level people. He is a bit on the small side though.

A young Brian Dawkins? Wow, what Bills games have you been watching? What has he done to be compared to a future Hall of Famer? You must be one of those guys comparing Trent to Tom Brady after week 6 too....

No, smart guy, I'm not really a Trent supporter at all. Check my posts :thumbsup: If you've ever watched the way Whitner throws himself around on the field, when healthy, and the ground he can cover it reminds me of a young Brian Dawkins. Granted Dawkins makes more INT's, but with the proper compliment on the other side and the freedom to roam I think Whitner makes more plays on the ball as well. I think that Whitner would greatly benefit from the switch, especially if he had Sean Jones out there on the other side.

I remember being high on Sean Jones when he came out of Georgia. I know he missed his entire rookie year but other than that I haven't followed his NFL career. What kind of a player did he turn out to be?

I like it. I don't know if Ko Simpson will be back next year. Sean Jones would be a good addition, Dawan Landry is a RFA but he would be a good addition as well. I'm not sure if he plays SS, but that Atogwe from the Rams is a real good player and I think he is a UFA.

Atogwe was franchised (I think).

In order to be a bigger playmaker, wouldn't that mean that you were a playmaker in past seasons. :thumbsup:

Seriously.

The biggest play Whitner made last year was a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he drew against the Raiders.

Gibril Wilson was just let go by the Raiders due to the salary cap.

Comment: Wilson is a starting FS with a good combination of size, speed and quickness. He is a good athlete for the FS position. He has developed into a solid frontline player with a strong upside. He is a tough player with a good competitive demeanor and has some size and athletic skills for the position. He shows good anticipation, looks to communicate calls on the backend and he has an upright pedal with good transitional skills. However, he has some stiffness when opening his hips while getting depth in deep zones, but does have good recovery quickness and speed. Wilson can also plant and re-align his hips and feet, while closing on underneath routes. He has the ability to match up in man-to-man situations versus TE in coverage. He showed good ball skills and can make plays in space. He shows good awareness in deep zones and as a run defender, he is a physical downhill player who can be effective versus the run. He has good anticipation and downhill speed while running the alleys and maintaining leverage over the ball carrier. He plays under control as an open-space tackler. He is an aggressive tackler who attacks the ball carrier. Overall, Wilson is a good-sized free safety who attacks plays going downhill. He is a sure tackler who has excellent measurables and a great nose for the ball.

He's a free safety so it probably won't happen but according to Scout's Inc (admittedly shaky ratings) he's the top rated safety available right now.

Wilson is 6'0" and 210 pounds.