Why Milloy was cut - Peter King

dave mcbride

3. I think if you want to know why the Atlanta Falcons whacked safety Lawyer Milloy on Sunday night, all you need to know is this: He was a gigantic pain in the rear end. Clubhouse lawyer, yakker, complainer. Totally not a Mike Smith, one-for-all, all-for-one guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../22/mmqb/3.html

Apparently, he was hardly the leader some would want us to believe he was!

3. I think if you want to know why the Atlanta Falcons whacked safety Lawyer Milloy on Sunday night, all you need to know is this: He was a gigantic pain in the rear end. Clubhouse lawyer, yakker, complainer. Totally not a Mike Smith, one-for-all, all-for-one guy.

First of all, Milloy wasn't "cut." He was a free agent. That's akin to saying the Bills cut Jabari Greer.

Second, PK has no clue WTF he's talking about. Milloy was universally praised by the coaching staff week after week. He was a team leader and was like another coach on the field. If he was so selfish, why was he elected team captain for the 3rd season in a row?

Peter King and Milloy have a long history of beef with one another ever since King accused Milloy and his agent of negotiating with another team while still under contract with the Patriots. After the Bills' opening day victory against the Pats in 2003 ("The Milloy Game") King reported:

He's furious with me for reporting the tampering story, and I can't repeat what he said to me in a hallway outside the Bills' locker room after Sunday's game against his former club. Suffice it to say he was fairly strident in telling me never to approach him again as long as I dwell on the planet earth, with quite a bit of emphasis.

Bottom line, Milloy was allowed to walk because he's getting up there in age and his best days are behind him. PK is full of it on this one and he took a swipe at Milloy just because he could.

First of all, Milloy wasn't "cut." He was a free agent. That's akin to saying the Bills cut Jabari Greer.

Second, PK has no clue WTF he's talking about. Milloy was universally praised by the coaching staff week after week. He was a team leader and was like another coach on the field. If he was so selfish, why was he elected team captain for the 3rd season in a row?

Peter King and Milloy have a long history of beef with one another ever since King accused Milloy and his agent of negotiating with another team while still under contract with the Patriots. After the Bills' opening day victory against the Pats in 2003 ("The Milloy Game") King reported:

Bottom line, Milloy was allowed to walk because he's getting up there in age and his best days are behind him. PK is full of it on this one and he took a swipe at Milloy just because he could.

It makes so much sense. So much for "objective observation." You like Milloy, even though he's over the hill and hasn't been at his prime in years. You got pissed that the Bills let him go, which is why you hate Whitner, his replacement. Its like the JP-Trent syndrome, only with our safeties. Your boy got cut, so you have nothing but vitriol for his replacement.

It makes so much sense. So much for "objective observation."

Yes, because King was so objective in his reporting. I presented facts as to why he isn't objective. Those 2 have a history and it's fairly obvious. If you can't handle facts, that's no surprise.

You like Milloy, even though he's over the hill and hasn't been at his prime in years.

True, he is past his prime. The sad thing is.. despite being past his prime and over the hill, he has played better than "your boy" Donte Whitner. He covers tight ends better than Whitner (well that's not saying much, my grandma does).

He is better in run support.

He is 35. Whitner is 24.

You got pissed that the Bills let him go, which is why you hate Whitner, his replacement. Its like the JP-Trent syndrome, only with our safeties. Your boy got cut, so you have nothing but vitriol for his replacement.

If only it were that simple. Perhaps my dislike for Whitner has to do with his lack of production on the field. While you and the rest of Donte's peanut gallery continues to manufacture excuses for his sub-par play, those that actually watch the games with an objective eye know that Whitner really needs to elevate his game to justify your man-love for him.

It makes so much sense. So much for "objective observation." You like Milloy, even though he's over the hill and hasn't been at his prime in years. You got pissed that the Bills let him go, which is why you hate Whitner, his replacement. Its like the JP-Trent syndrome, only with our safeties. Your boy got cut, so you have nothing but vitriol for his replacement.

milloy is getting old, yet he's still better than whitner, kinda sad

See the anguish, the controversy that surrounds our sports multi-millionaires? No wonder many of them act up in public.

Who wouldn't, with such stress, with so many fraught with the worry of years of having a great car, a mansion of a house, fine food, and the promise of a rich retirement?

anyone thinking milloy is better than whitner, especially in coverage, didnt watch much Falcons football last year or their playoff game.

i, unfortunately, have. and he looks like he is in his 50s trying to keep up with high school kids.

i like(d) milloy, but he is far passed his prime. and even passed his "a 70% Milloy is better than...." stage. he was a heck of a ball player, and someone will probably pick him up for his expertise, but he shouldnt be anyone's starting safety.

anyone thinking milloy is better than whitner, especially in coverage, didnt watch much Falcons football last year or their playoff game.

i, unfortunately, have. and he looks like he is in his 50s trying to keep up with high school kids.

i like(d) milloy, but he is far passed his prime. and even passed his "a 70% Milloy is better than...." stage. he was a heck of a ball player, and someone will probably pick him up for his expertise, but he shouldnt be anyone's starting safety.

And, yet, he is still better than Whitner. :devil:

Yes, because King was so objective in his reporting. I presented facts as to why he isn't objective. Those 2 have a history and it's fairly obvious. If you can't handle facts, that's no surprise.

True, he is past his prime. The sad thing is.. despite being past his prime and over the hill, he has played better than "your boy" Donte Whitner. He covers tight ends better than Whitner (well that's not saying much, my grandma does).

He is 35. Whitner is 24.

If only it were that simple. Perhaps my dislike for Whitner has to do with his lack of production on the field. While you and the rest of Donte's peanut gallery continues to manufacture excuses for his sub-par play, those that actually watch the games with an objective eye know that Whitner really needs to elevate his game to justify your man-love for him.

Haha. There is nothing funnier than you of all posters calling someone else for being biased. I like Milloy and felt we should have kept him. But if honestly think Milloy is a better player than Whitner, you know absolutely nothing about football. Not one GM would chose Milloy over Whitner.

Here are some facts, try and spin them. The Bills finished 14th in total defense, the Falcons finished 24th. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go The Bills finished 13th against the pass, the Falcons finished 21st. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go The Bills finished 28th in sacks, the Falcons finished 11th. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-p=1

But I'm sure Whitner had no part in being a part of a much better overall defense and pass defense despite having a much worst pass rush. :D The really sad part is that you're supposedly a Bills fan yet look for every reason to hate on the team.

And Whitner is 23. But who cares about facts when you're the Dawgg and have your silly Bills' hating agenda to push. :devil:

Milloy was not cut. he was told he would not be resigned by the Bills. If PK said that then he should do better fact checking. However Milloys skills have diminished each year since he left the Patsies. Belichek does not let good/great players get away. Brady, Seymore, Vrabel, etc.... Milloy was not very good at all in Atlanta the last two years. He probably would have been cut before this year, but the Falcons had such a young inexperienced deffensive backfield. Watching him play this year was hard. I am not sue what he was like in the lockerroom. Nor will any of us really. But his talent is gone and the Falcons are getting young and aggresive players to fill out their roster. Pair that with good cord, and a head coach with fire and brains. The Falcons seem to have the recipe for being succesful.

Milloy could not hold Whitners cup for him right now. They are on two opposite sides of the career hill.

Haha. There is nothing funnier than you of all posters calling someone else for being biased. I like Milloy and felt we should have kept him. But if honestly think Milloy is a better player than Whitner, you know absolutely nothing about football. Not one GM would chose Milloy over Whitner.

Way to state the obvious. I clearly stated that Milloy was allowed to leave in free agency because his best days are behind him. I too would rather have Whitner at 23 than Milloy at 35. Duh. :D That doesn't mean Whitner outplayed Milloy this year. Milloy had a fairly mediocre-to-solid season. He spent most of his time in the box but at least he was a sure tackler. Running backs generally didn't get by him. He wasn't run over by jouneymen like Sammy Morris. He covered tight ends fairly well. Whitner's play was poor in comparison. He needs to step up his play. He's certainly capable of doing so, but thus far it's just talk. And make no mistake, Whitner has an awful lot of "talk" in him.

Here are some facts, try and spin them. The Bills finished 14th in total defense, the Falcons finished 24th. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go The Bills finished 13th against the pass, the Falcons finished 21st. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go The Bills finished 28th in sacks, the Falcons finished 11th. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-p=1

Yawn. Leave it to you to cite team stats and use them to extrapolate the value of 2 players on the same team. Did you watch the games? Did yo see how Whitner was abused time and time again by tight ends? Did you see how Bryan Scott, a free agent we picked up off the street was far more effective than Whitner at his supposed position of strength? Did you watch Sammy Morris bulldoze Whitner in the New England game (And injury is not an excuse. Whitner tried to tackle the guy head-on, which is a basic no-no when you're a small DB) Did you see Whitner miss tackles on a semi-regular basis? Most objective Bills fans saw that. I watched a lot of Falcons games. Milloy clearly lost a step. Despite that, he was more consistent and more effective than Donte Whitner. Does that mean I'd rather have an aging Milloy on the team than Whitner? You said that, not me.

In any case, it's only fitting that you failed to see the sub-par play of Whitner. Afterall, you were singing the virtues of John McCargo for quite some time. :devil:

The really sad part is that you're supposedly a Bills fan yet look for every reason to hate on the team.

You sound like a kindergartner. I'm here to talk football... Whitner was supposed to be a major piece of the Bills' puzzle. You can cite injuries, "team rankings," pass rush, or any other hairbrained excuse that has seemingly become your specialty. It doesn't change the act that he has been a disappointment thus far. Here's to a breakout season in 2009. :beer:

He hung out with Troy Vincent too long.

He is 35. Whitner is 24.

You presented no facts whatsoever. None. All you're doing is extrapolating from an unproven supposition about King's real view on a years-old episode. The player involved is one among thousands who have passed through the league since then; I doubt that King holds a grudge or even cares, frankly, about a player's contractual dispute, a dime-a-dozen incident that occurs all the time. Yeesh. I watched a good bit of Milloy this past season, and frankly, he sucked. And that's not really a knock on him -- everyone slows down at some point.

He is 35. Whitner is 24.

There is nothing objective about your opinion on Whitner. If Milloy was so great, he would still be on the Falcons, despite his age. They do keep high producing players that are older, he just isn't one of them. Truth be told he can't cover you and we all know you are a mule.

You presented no facts whatsoever. None. All you're doing is extrapolating from an unproven supposition about King's real view on a years-old episode. The player involved is one among thousands who have passed through the league since then; I doubt that King holds a grudge or even cares, frankly, about a player's contractual dispute, a dime-a-dozen incident that occurs all the time. Yeesh. I watched a good bit of Milloy this past season, and frankly, he sucked. And that's not really a knock on him -- everyone slows down at some point.

He accused Milloy of negotiating with other teams while on the Pats.

He ripped Milloy for bickering with the Patriots about his contract.

He wrote about how Milloy looked like a fool for leaving the Pats and playing for a losing team while he was on the Bills.

Finally, when Milloy and the Falcons part ways because he is a free agent, he reports that Milloy was "whacked" -- riiiight Peter, Milloy was whacked. Just like Jabari Greer was "whacked" by the Bills. Just like Haynesworth was "whacked" by the Titans.

In any case, I'm not making Milloy's case for the 2009 Pro Bowl. He obviously showed signs of slowing down. The Falcons made the right move in letting him walk. Having said that he was STILL better than Whitner in terms of his play on the field. He rarely missed tackles and he covered tight ends fairly well. Whitner, on the other hand, frequently missed tackles in run support and sucked against tight ends. If you can watch Falcons games and say Milloy sucked, yet you can't see how poorly Whitner played in a Bills uniform, then I question your judgement.

I would certainly rather have an underachieving Whitner than an aging Milloy.

But to call Milloy a me-first player when he was elected team captain for 3 years in a row is absurd. It was simply King's chance to rip him once again and it's pretty obvious. Mike Smith repeatedly cited Milloy as a leader on this team.

Head Coach Mike Smith 12/29:

Q: Lawyer’s importance to the run defense was evident yesterday. It will really help to get him back.

A: “Lawyer has been a starter for us and a leader on the defensive unit since we got here. Of course, we were undermanned in a few positions yesterday, but that is no excuse. I know that we are a better football team when we have Lawyer Milloy on the football field.”

Head Coach Mike Smith 11/12:

Q: Were you surprised at how far they have come along?

A: “This is a unit that is very young in terms of our corners and a player that has been in the league for four years but has only been with us from the beginning of the season. He did not go through our OTA’s or minicamps. I think he has done a nice job learning our system. I think we have had solid play throughout the year with our two safeties. The free agent acquisition of Erik Coleman was great. He has come in and is leading the team in interceptions. Lawyer Milloy has been very, very solid and has really been the leader of that unit back there.”

Head Coach Mike Smith 11/10:

Q: Could you talk about Lawyer (Milloy’s) play back there and being your leader on the defense?

A: “Lawyer has had a very solid first half of the season for us. I think he, like the other guys, is becoming familiar with our scheme and what Brian (VanGorder), Emmitt (Thomas) and Alvin (Reynolds) are trying to get done back there. He’s seen a lot of football throughout his years and he has been our stabilizing force. He’s someone that we can go to on the sidelines and talk about adjustments. When we make those adjustments, he is the one that can take that to the rest of the group.”

Head Coach Mike Smith 7/26:

Lawyer Milloy comes to work everyday with a passion and a drive to be as good as he can be. You have to have those veterans on your football team to bring these young guys along. We do have a lot of young guys on our team.”

If you want to gobble up whatever King says, that's your prerogative.

Way to state the obvious. I clearly stated that Milloy was allowed to leave in free agency because his best days are behind him. I too would rather have Whitner at 23 than Milloy at 35. Duh. :beer: That doesn't mean Whitner outplayed Milloy this year. Milloy had a fairly mediocre-to-solid season. He spent most of his time in the box but at least he was a sure tackler. Running backs generally didn't get by him. He wasn't run over by jouneymen like Sammy Morris. He covered tight ends fairly well. Whitner's play was poor in comparison. He needs to step up his play. He's certainly capable of doing so, but thus far it's just talk. And make no mistake, Whitner has an awful lot of "talk" in him.

Yawn. Leave it to you to cite team stats and use them to extrapolate the value of 2 players on the same team. Did you watch the games? Did yo see how Whitner was abused time and time again by tight ends? Did you see how Bryan Scott, a free agent we picked up off the street was far more effective than Whitner at his supposed position of strength? Did you watch Sammy Morris bulldoze Whitner in the New England game (And injury is not an excuse. Whitner tried to tackle the guy head-on, which is a basic no-no when you're a small DB) Did you see Whitner miss tackles on a semi-regular basis? Most objective Bills fans saw that. I watched a lot of Falcons games. Milloy clearly lost a step. Despite that, he was more consistent and more effective than Donte Whitner. Does that mean I'd rather have an aging Milloy on the team than Whitner? You said that, not me.

In any case, it's only fitting that you failed to see the sub-par play of Whitner. Afterall, you were singing the virtues of John McCargo for quite some time. :devil:

You sound like a kindergartner. I'm here to talk football... Whitner was supposed to be a major piece of the Bills' puzzle. You can cite injuries, "team rankings," pass rush, or any other hairbrained excuse that has seemingly become your specialty. It doesn't change the act that he has been a disappointment thus far. Here's to a breakout season in 2009. :(

It's sad when people just can't admit they were talking out of their @ss. Good attempt though with all this nonsense. A starting safety has no impact on team stats??? Gotcha buddy. :D

A starting safety has no impact on team stats??? Gotcha buddy. :rolleyes:

Donte Whitner has had an impact on the most important team stat out there: 3 straight 7-9 seasons.

It's funny how you use team stats to justify your convoluted logic because clearly Whitner's individual stats don't measure up.

Making matters worse, he doesn't measure up even when you take stats out of the equation. He missed tackles with regularity, got beat by tight ends, and failed to make plays even when they were staring at him in the face (such as the Denver game where he whiffed on a sure INT). Or the Miami game where he made Anthony Fasano look like Tony Gonzalez. How about the Dallas Monday night game when he stood around and watched the onsides kick roll by him, costing the team the game?

It's unfortunate that you can't recognize poor play when it stares you in the face. Then again, you were convinced McCargo was the real deal. :pirate: