I Guess Our Hope For a TE Now Rests on Draft Day

H2o

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/19/...-tag-tight-end/

He was the only other FA that I believe we would've considered. With Daniels being an RFA that will be too pricey, it's now pretty much a sure bet that TE will be addressed via the draft.

I think that I'm among the minority, but I'd prefer it that way. Free agent tight ends that defect from their previous clubs haven't historically had the type of impact most expect them to (save for Visanthe Shiancoe last year and Shannon Sharpe back in 2000).

I know a lot of people wanted Scaife, but I'm a much bigger proponent of drafting a TE.

Am I the only one who thinks that we have our future TE on the roster in the form of Derrick Fine?

I think the bills agree with you. Fine does have a good chance of becoming a good te. I do not think the bills will draft a te until at least the 3rd. It does not hurt to have a couple of good tes however. Dallas drafted a TE in the 2nd with Whiten on the roster. The Patriots drafted tes in the 1st round in consecutive drafts.

Am I the only one who thinks that we have our future TE on the roster in the form of Derrick Fine?

I would not be surprised if Buffalo thinks Derek Fine is capable of handling the job. He was injured for the first half of 08, and fits their requirement of a guy who can block first and catch second.

Behind him are the undersized Schouman and the fumbler, Robert Royal on the depth chart.

Not going TE in the draft allows them to address their needs at DE, C, OLB, S depth, LB depth, DT depth, interior OL depth.

I think that I'm among the minority, but I'd prefer it that way. Free agent tight ends that defect from their previous clubs haven't historically had the type of impact most expect them to (save for Visanthe Shiancoe last year and Shannon Sharpe back in 2000).

I know a lot of people wanted Scaife, but I'm a much bigger proponent of drafting a TE.

The positive to this is that there are some really good TE's in this years draft and even if we don't address it this year for whatever reason, there's some good ones coming down the pipe next year as well.

I would not be surprised if Buffalo thinks Derek Fine is capable of handling the job. He was injured for the first half of 08, and fits their requirement of a guy who can block first and catch second.

Behind him are the undersized Schouman and the fumbler, Robert Royal on the depth chart.

Not going TE in the draft allows them to address their needs at DE, C, OLB, S depth, LB depth, DT depth, interior OL depth.

Why then pray tell did he not supplant Royal by season's end?

Why then pray tell did he not supplant Royal by season's end?

Well, he was mixed in there for the last 8 games of the season and started the last 4 games (according to the NFL site). I think a rookie, coming off of a preseason injury is a pretty tough spot to be in. He probably spent most of the season last year working to get his body ready, and couldn't focus as much on the mental aspect of the game. I think this offseason will be very important in his development.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/19/...-tag-tight-end/

He was the only other FA that I believe we would've considered. With Daniels being an RFA that will be too pricey, it's now pretty much a sure bet that TE will be addressed via the draft.

I was really hoping that we would go after him. Maybe there is a silver lining to be found. More $ for other FA's. Not to mention this year's draft seems to have some talent at that position.