Jabari Greer

We let HIM go?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WAY TO DROP THE BALL RALPH.

I think he's easily our best cover guy and if he goes on a team where he can play in man coverage he'll look like a star, make the pro bowl, and all of our fans will be calling it an idiot move that we let him go.

This is all IF we let him go. The thread on how he's not even mentioned in Clayton's article is what got me thinking this way.

The sad thing about all of this, though, is that most of you guys are okay with him leaving, since he's our 3rd best cornerback. FALSE. Wait 2 years and you'll all be saying Ralph's the dumbest piece of sh-- ever, even though right now you're fine with it.

I say keep him and trade McGee.

You're on board. Sadly, many others disagree.

Plus, I feel like Dick never actually sees he has talent, he just lucks into it. Greer, Jackson, Scott, etc. I still feel like they underrapreciate Greer and overappreciate McGee.

If McGee never made the Pro Bowl returning kicks, you guys would think of him as a great mid-round pick that isn't of starting caliber. Kinda like Ellison, but maybe a little better. Instead we all saw him on ESPN a few times and think that makes him a great corner.

Guest dog14787
you're nuts, he's the best corner in he afc east. Those who watch games on TV don't get to see him play much, but at the games he is shut down.

We need to keep them both ;)

I say we keep all 3. McGee isn't getting any younger and I'm not sold on Reggie Corner in the nickel

When its dime - who else do we have?!

Keep Greer ;)

Anyone you know that is getting younger? I agree about keeping all 3 but it depends if another team offers Greer a starting job.

no mention's of youboty? He was coming on strong last season before he got hurt. He'll be kept as a RFA, and I think Greer is out, which is sad. But the bills should be fine with McLovin, McGee, Youboty, and Corner

youboty can't seem to stay on the field for more than 3 weeks... otherwise he would be great

As soon as they drafted Leodis, the writing was on the wall that Jabari was gone this year. It's the way this organization has dealt with the CB position since the last years of the Super Bowl era. Draft a CB in the first round one year, play him at nickel that first year, then take over for the free agent departure the next year. Thomas Smith replaced Nate Odomes...Burris for Mickey Washington...Winfield for Smith...Clements for Irvin...McGee for Winfield...Youboty was expected to be the successor to Clements but it wound up being Webster, Youboty, and then Greer. The only time in that period that they did anything different was when Ken Irvin replaced the outgoing Jeff Burris. As some may recall, Irvin and Marlon Kerner were the pair of CBs drafted in the midrounds of 1995...both of them proved to be solid selections but if not for 2 ACL injuries, I think Kerner would've gotten that starting job that Irvin got.

I remember telling McGee to expect 2006 to be Nate's last season with us after we drafted Youboty (McGee and Stamer were at the Jills Congrats Party the 1st night of the draft)

1- Revis/Greer

3-McKelvin

4-McGee

So, McKelvin, after roughly 5 games of good corner play, is already better than McGee? You are a tough evaluator of talent.

IMO, when healthy last season, McGee was maybe the best player we had on defense. Don't get me wrong, I like Greer a lot, and wish the Bills would resign him, but to say he, or McKelvin, is better than McGee is nuts.

So, McKelvin, after roughly 5 games of good corner play, is already better than McGee? You are a tough evaluator of talent.

IMO, when healthy last season, McGee was maybe the best player we had on defense. Don't get me wrong, I like Greer a lot, and wish the Bills would resign him, but to say he, or McKelvin, is better than McGee is nuts.

I think your wrong. Teams regularly picked on McGee. McKelvin proved to me that he's better.

WOW, Mcgee has one bad game and everyone wants to trade him away. It only took Greer like 5 years to crack a starting lineup.

Sorry but i don't think Greer is anywhere near the talent Mcgee is.

I completely agree with you. McGee was clearly still hurt in that Miami game.

I've been thrilled with Greer's continued improvement, but McGee is the better player IMO. I'd like to see more defenses where McGee is in man coverage. While he's gotten much better in zone coverage, I think he's always been a playmaker when man-on-man.

Here's an idea: extend McGee now before he hits FA.

Either way, I think the Bills should also keep drafting and developing CBs, in the neighborhood of one per year. You need 3-4 able to play each game and they're signed to a few years at a a time. So yes, it requires constant investment. As long as FA CBs cost so much, most are going to have to come from the draft.

WOW, Mcgee has one bad game and everyone wants to trade him away. It only took Greer like 5 years to crack a starting lineup.

Sorry but i don't think Greer is anywhere near the talent Mcgee is.

Kota, it's not that everyone wants to trade Mcgee based on his play. There has been some harsh criticism by a couple of people, but the general over all consensus is that he is a quality db. The reason why it makes sense to consider trading Mcgee is for a few reasons.

1. His age is 29 and seems to be getting injured a little more now than in the past.

2. He is more expendable in the KO department, now that we have McKelvin.

3. We have good depth at the DB position with Greer, McKelvin, Corner and Youbouty

4. He becomes a FA at the end of next year. He would probably command a higher priced contract than Greer, considering his reputation and his value as a KO returner. Greer is not that much of a drop off from Mcgee and he is younger than Mcgee.

5. If we Resign Greer and look to trade Mcgee, we would at least get something decent in value in return, as opposed to him hitting the FA market.

6. If we don't resign Greer and Resign Mcgee next year, we would most likely spend more and we wouldn't get anything for letting Greer hit FA.

So basically, by trading Mcgee we save money, have no drop off from KO return duties, not much of a drop off in db coverage with Greer in, have a younger DB in Greer and gain a valuable draft pick or player in return.

This is why it makes sense.

thank you very much. this is a very good post. mcgee is a very good corner. greer is good and mckelvin has shown flashes but a healthy mcgee is much better than greer and mckelvin.

I'm on board with the keep Greer, deal McGee people.

I don't know if Greer is better, but they're very close to being equals IMO. Greer is younger, bigger, and after McGee hits free agency next year, most likely cheaper as well.

What happens if they ignore Greer, let him walk, and then McGee bolts via free agency next year? If it's an uncapped year like a lot of people are speculating, he won't sign the franchise tender the Bills would give him. If they don't give him the franchise tender, well, he's gone seeing as how it's an uncapped year. McGee would be an idiot to sign a contract extension right now.

Gotta know how to manage your assets- at best, McGee is SLIGHTLY better than Greer, and that's arguable. But, my guess is we just let Greer go, McGee follows suit, and it's back to drafting corners in the first round to play a defensive system that corners aren't even valued that highly in.

I think your wrong. Teams regularly picked on McGee. McKelvin proved to me that he's better.

Okay, how many games did McKelvin start? You do realize that McGee played injured a good part of the season? You did see McGee shut down Randy Moss, when he was healthy? McKelvin was, honestly, awful early in the season, when he played corner. It wasn't until the last few games of the season that he started to look like a starting NFL corner.

I honestly feel that the performance of the Bills secondary kept them in games this past season, where they should have been blown off the field. The front seven rarely showed even a hint of a pass rush, but the corners (and McGee was huge in some games) played their asses off. You may think that McGee was picked on regualrly, but you aren't taking into account how many plays he broke up, and how little help the secondary received from the defensive front seven. QB's had all day to pass against the Bills. All things considered, the secondary (corners in particular) played very well.

Corner is probably the most difficult position, to play, beyond quarterback. Some of the best corners in NFL history have taken 2-4 years to really develop. I am not so positive that McKelvin is quite there yet. Sure, he had a great game against the Chiefs, but the entire team played like a Super Bowl contender that day.

It sucks that we have to make this decision. I agree that Greer has been a very pleasent surprise the last two seasons, and wold love to see the Bills re-sign him.But don't underestimate McGee.

Also, call me crazy, but for the short time he was healthy last season, I think Youboty was starting to finally look like that "draft steal" that he was reported to be, by some. I don't think he was looking like just a good corner, but a play making difference maker. If the kid could bulk up, he might even make a decent safety. He flashed speed, solid tackling, and a desire to hit.

I'm on board with the keep Greer, deal McGee people.

I don't know if Greer is better, but they're very close to being equals IMO. Greer is younger, bigger, and after McGee hits free agency next year, most likely cheaper as well.

What happens if they ignore Greer, let him walk, and then McGee bolts via free agency next year? If it's an uncapped year like a lot of people are speculating, he won't sign the franchise tender the Bills would give him. If they don't give him the franchise tender, well, he's gone seeing as how it's an uncapped year. McGee would be an idiot to sign a contract extension right now.

Gotta know how to manage your assets- at best, McGee is SLIGHTLY better than Greer, and that's arguable. But, my guess is we just let Greer go, McGee follows suit, and it's back to drafting corners in the first round to play a defensive system that corners aren't even valued that highly in.

I'm so upset with these comments because they are so true.

You guys really can believe what you want. I dont know what games you showed up to where McGee personally impressed you with anything other than his reputation. I remember one big deflection in the Denver game and thats it. His interceptions were thrown directly to him(as opposed to Greer's 2 OUTSTANDING interceptions). This could go on all day, but I feel like you guys just listen to ESPN.

Some of you guys thought Marshawn was a bust early on, you think Whitner should be cut b/c of stats, you think Evans is overpaid cuz of his stats, you think so many things because of what you see other teams doing on ESPN. McGee didn't do anything to impress us this year, whether ESPN thinks so or not. He got beat plenty of times, though.

You guys really can believe what you want. I dont know what games you showed up to where McGee personally impressed you with anything other than his reputation. I remember one big deflection in the Denver game and thats it. His interceptions were thrown directly to him(as opposed to Greer's 2 OUTSTANDING interceptions). This could go on all day, but I feel like you guys just listen to ESPN.

Some of you guys thought Marshawn was a bust early on, you think Whitner should be cut b/c of stats, you think Evans is overpaid cuz of his stats, you think so many things because of what you see other teams doing on ESPN. McGee didn't do anything to impress us this year, whether ESPN thinks so or not. He got beat plenty of times, though.

Nobody is denying that Greer has been good. But you simply don't know what you are watching, if you think McGee didn't have a good year. He had one really rough outing against Miami, where he was obviously playing at less than full strength. So, we should discount the "one big deflection in the Denver game", because you rememeber the "2 OUTSTANDING interceptions" that Greer had? You win this round... ;)

Nobody is denying that Greer has been good. But you simply don't know what you are watching, if you think McGee didn't have a good year. He had one really rough outing against Miami, where he was obviously playing at less than full strength. So, we should discount the "one big deflection in the Denver game", because you rememeber the "2 OUTSTANDING interceptions" that Greer had? You win this round... ;)

I never see McGee make plays. That's how it is.

I personally played CB in high school. I like the position. I pay attention. Greer's always with his man and never gets picked on. McGee gets beat a lot.

I would like to know how you quantify him being good. He's a decent player, never really gets burned, but not nearly the cover man Greer is.

Greer is a starter and given a choice wil go where he will be given that opportunity. If we can sign him, it would be a very very good idea. Do you really think we will go through a season without one of our starting quarterbacks missing at least a few games? Youbooty is like a china doll...pretty when he plays but very breakable. We'll be lucky to keep Greer but we should make a serious run at resigning him.