Tim Graham's Buffalo Bills Hot Button

lets_go_bills

TG likes us to grab either Orakpo or Brown to solve our DE issues. I like how he mentions our new D-Line coach and the challenge ahead: getting Schobel back to 100%, giving McCargo one more shot and drafting a DE.

He thinks that ownership has alienated fans (which is very true), and that Bills fans need something to get excited about (which is very true).

Here's hoping that they make a splash and sign someone great via Free Agency and have a good draft.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-5-62/...--AFC-East.html

TG likes us to grab either Orakpo or Brown to solve our DE issues. I like how he mentions our new D-Line coach and the challenge ahead: getting Schobel back to 100%, giving McCargo one more shot and drafting a DE.

He thinks that ownership has alienated fans (which is very true), and that Bills fans need something to get excited about (which is very true).

Here's hoping that they make a splash and sign someone great via Free Agency and have a good draft.

Thoughts are spot on .... Bills need an excellent draft and active FA period to recapture the fans goodwill

I think the Bills will make a splash in FA. I think they'll actively pursue one or two key guys and sign at least one of them. No so much because they want to, but because they have to. There really isn't much to be excited about and the FO needs to try and recapture the excitement we felt last offseason.

I think the Bills will make a splash in FA. I think they'll actively pursue one or two key guys and sign at least one of them. No so much because they want to, but because they have to. There really isn't much to be excited about and the FO needs to try and recapture the excitement we felt last offseason.

There is nothing in recent history which suggests the Bills will make a "splash" in FA that helps this team into the playoffs next year. Point to Dockery and Walker, but both were more of a wish than a guarantee of acquiring good players. They were not solid UFA acquisitions. I'd make the case that for the money, the team did better last off-season with Mitchell and Johnson.

Too many fans are overestimating discontent among the masses as a principal reason to sign big names. Above all else, it's how many dollars come in versus how many go out. With Peters and Jackson looking for extensions, the team may sign 1-2 guys that are starting quality. As long as the team hits the minimum cap hit (approx. 102M), there's nothing forcing them to spend.

Besides, even if they do, we already know John Guy and his folks aren't really all that hot anyway. I'll believe they're successful if they ever get something right. For now, I won't be placing any wagers.

There is nothing in recent history which suggests the Bills will make a "splash" in FA that helps this team into the playoffs next year. Point to Dockery and Walker, but both were more of a wish than a guarantee of acquiring good players. They were not solid UFA acquisitions. I'd make the case that for the money, the team did better last off-season with Mitchell and Johnson.

Too many fans are overestimating discontent among the masses as a principal reason to sign big names. Above all else, it's how many dollars come in versus how many go out. With Peters and Jackson looking for extensions, the team may sign 1-2 guys that are starting quality. As long as the team hits the minimum cap hit (approx. 102M), there's nothing forcing them to spend.

Besides, even if they do, we already know John Guy and his folks aren't really all that hot anyway. I'll believe they're successful if they ever get something right. For now, I won't be placing any wagers.

Wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

Schobel.....right.

And orakpo looks like an undersized weight room bulked up guy.

I think DE(s) in FA and rushing LB or DT in the draft

You're right, the weakness in your argument is Dockery and Walker. Getting them was a splash whether or not you want to admit it. When Butler came back last year, this o-line started playing very well indeed. And that is without a center. When we plug a genuinely good center into the mix, look out. When lines have one guy who isn't very good, it limits everyone, because everyone has to compensate by helping out the weak link.

With a good center, this line is going to be very good indeed.

You're right, the weakness in your argument is Dockery and Walker. Getting them was a splash whether or not you want to admit it. When Butler came back last year, this o-line started playing very well indeed. And that is without a center. When we plug a genuinely good center into the mix, look out. When lines have one guy who isn't very good, it limits everyone, because everyone has to compensate by helping out the weak link.

With a good center, this line is going to be very good indeed.

I'm in this camp.

Yes, I'd love to see a great center come aboard, but this is a pretty solid line. With the 3-4 so in vogue, very few centers can handle NT's by themselves. Plus -and this is my biggest issue here- with no threat down field other than Evans AND a checkdown-style QB, opposition Safety's camp in the box. IMO, changing the attack and actually challenging the secondary will hide an average center, while opening run lanes.

That front office has pushed fans away......im one of them. I honestly can careless what happens with them right now......sad to see Lynch get busted, classic case of dumbmode being stupid. Anyways the organization as a whole has a long ways to go to grab my attention again.

I'm in this camp.

Yes, I'd love to see a great center come aboard, but this is a pretty solid line. With the 3-4 so in vogue, very few centers can handle NT's by themselves. Plus -and this is my biggest issue here- with no threat down field other than Evans AND a checkdown-style QB, opposition Safety's camp in the box. IMO, changing the attack and actually challenging the secondary will hide an average center, while opening run lanes.

Beg to differ here. A good center can hold his own against big interior defensive lineman. Guys like Saturday, Birk, Mangold, Olin Kreutz, J. Brown, and others hold up very well no matter which alignment they face.

There's no hiding a bad center. The reason Buffalo ran well late in the season can be directly attributed to defenses saturating the secondary with defenders. And it wasn't like those defenses were any good. Unless you count Cleveland, KC, Denver, San Fran, and Miami. I'll admit, Buffalo ran well against NYJ, but it was clear the Jets weren't the team which beat Tennessee earlier in the season.

Besides, the quickest way to the QB is through the middle of the line. It's one of the reasons the Bills were apprehensive about running the PA and having the QB turn his back to the LOS.

Beg to differ here. A good center can hold his own against big interior defensive lineman. Guys like Saturday, Birk, Mangold, Olin Kreutz, J. Brown, and others hold up very well no matter which alignment they face.

OK, but..

These guys rarely handle NT's by themselves. It's the design of the NT to tie up 2 interior linemen, plug the middle. Only the most exceptional NT's penetrate effectively as their main responsibility -run or pass- is to clog it up.

I think we agree though, the Bills need an upgrade at center.

OK, but..

These guys rarely handle NT's by themselves. It's the design of the NT to tie up 2 interior linemen, plug the middle. Only the most exceptional NT's penetrate effectively as their main responsibility -run or pass- is to clog it up.

I think we agree though, the Bills need an upgrade at center.

I'd definitely agree there is a serious need at center.

Yes, those big NT's are frequently handled by two blockers. The 3-4 looks for a pass rush from the OLB's. A front line is there to tie up blockers as you've pointed out. Hence, the larger DL in a 3-4.

That front office has pushed fans away......im one of them. I honestly can careless what happens with them right now......sad to see Lynch get busted, classic case of dumbmode being stupid. Anyways the organization as a whole has a long ways to go to grab my attention again.

you cay you could care less, but you post as much as anybody here and you will still go to game or watch them sundays amd you still probably wear your Bills gear. you care what they do because you are here.

There are an awful lot of qualities and variables that NFL college scouts have to consider when weighing the potential success a prospect can have once he reaches the pro level. Naturally there are the measurables as well as football skills and the intangible qualities like motivation, work ethic and leadership. But there can also be another factor that at times can be hard for a scout to keep out of the equation.

That factor is draft history.

A perfect example in this year’s class is Florida State DE/OLB Everette Brown. Widely considered a top 10 pick, Brown has impressive stats with 13.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss last season alone. But there is a history of Seminole pass rushers that’s difficult to ignore.

Cleveland took Kamerion Wimbley in 2006 with the 13th pick and his career to this point has been average at best.

Andre Wadsworth was the third pick in the draft in 1998 by Arizona and injuries and difficulty adjusting to the pro game led to a disappointing career.

Jamal Reynolds was the 10th pick in the draft in 2001 by Green Bay and was an unquestioned bust.

So as enticing as Brown’s abilities might be for a team in need of pass rush help, it’s hard to overlook Florida State’s recent history at the position.

“It does enter your thinking,” said Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak speaking generally. “Whether you want to admit that or not, you do think about it. Now what you do with it is another matter.”

I could have sworn that the Bills oline set a franchise record in 2007 of fewest sacks given up in franchise history with a rookie QB and a very mistake prone one. :w00t:

I know how much we all like to remember the past on this board. But remember back in the Glory Days (the late 80's and early 90)? The guy that is always forgoten is Kent Hull. He was the base of that OLine. Responsible for making the line calls. While Kelly Orchastrated the play. If the Bills could get a good center in FA or the draft, then we will see a huge improvement. Then center is the shortest distance from the line to qb. If the qb has a pocket form he can be succesful. He will be allowed to step up and make a play. On offense the Bills need a center. TE is a possibilty but i would not want to draft a guy in the 4th round or higher. Thats what you already have in Fine. Get center in FA get LB in the draft and Dline help. And pray that the coaching staff has a labotomy and can coach the guys up.