So Wait a Second

BillsNYC

The President goes on National TV saying if the stimulus isn't passed right away we will have an irreversible catastrophe.

Congress rushes through passing almost a trillion dollars in stimulus money in record time.

The vote HAS to occur on Friday, when it is physically impossible for anybody to have even reviewed the most expensive bill in history, going back on a promise to have 48 hours to review it.

Bill is passed by congress and is sitting on the President's desk.

President goes on vacation for 3 days, went out to dinner at an expensive restaurant in Chicago last night while the bill is sitting on the desk.

My questions are:

1) If it was so urgent, why is he going on vacation and not signing into law asap?

2) If he's not going to sign it, why not let Congress actually review it?

3) I don't care what party you are in, the above is disturbing.

1) If it was so urgent, why is he going on vacation and not signing into law asap?

1) So as not to interfere with his vacation, just taking a page from W's playbook

2) Nancy didn't want to give Congress time to read the bill also because that would also give voters (aka the great unwashed masses) time to read the bill

3) Agree

The President goes on National TV saying if the stimulus isn't passed right away we will have an irreversible catastrophe.

Congress rushes through passing almost a trillion dollars in stimulus money in record time.

The vote HAS to occur on Friday, when it is physically impossible for anybody to have even reviewed the most expensive bill in history, going back on a promise to have 48 hours to review it.

President goes on vacation for 3 days, went out to dinner at an expensive restaurant in Chicago last night while the bill is sitting on the desk.

My questions are:

Press was saying so he could sign it on Presidents Day. Symbolism over substance maybe.

My questions are:

And now I'm seeing statements from the administration saying that the bill won't have an immediate effect...even though it had to be passed immediately...but not signed immediately.

So basically...it's fear mongering to ramrod legislation through. Meet the new boss...

Get real. You make it sound like it was written from scratch in a couple of hours and voted on without any review. Kinda like the Patriot Act you all love so much. It was written over a period of time and gone over, particularly by the GOP, with a fine-toothed comb.

And now you're bitching because it's not signed within seconds? Maybe the President wants to read it one more time. If he signed it right away you'd B word that he probably didn't bother to read (understandable given the precedent set by the previous Administration).

And are you THAT naive that you think as soon as the ink's dry the recession will end? No-one believes that and no-one ever claimed it would.

Silly boys. Now you're just clutching at straws.

There is some good stuff in there- I particularly like the ideas about medical records. I also like the push for alternative energy- that is one of the things that makes me think we will eventually come out of this mess.

What we STILL need is to fix the educational system. Its almost impossible for a student to fail, we are afraid to push them and they have too much free time. The school day and year needs to be longer and the material needs to be much more difficult.

I agree, the way it was pushed through was very disturbing

My questions are:

-And-

4) How much did Obama's inauguration cost the US tax payer?

5) How much did it cost the US tax payer for Obama to travel to Indiana to promote the Bill?

6) How much did it cost the US tax payer for Obama to travel to Florida to promote the Bill?

Get real. You make it sound like it was written from scratch in a couple of hours and voted on without any review. Kinda like the Patriot Act you all love so much. It was written over a period of time and gone over, particularly by the GOP, with a fine-toothed comb.

And now you're bitching because it's not signed within seconds? Maybe the President wants to read it one more time. If he signed it right away you'd B word that he probably didn't bother to read (understandable given the precedent set by the previous Administration).

And are you THAT naive that you think as soon as the ink's dry the recession will end? No-one believes that and no-one ever claimed it would.

Actually, I'm complaining about the people like you who B word about the "This has to be done IMMEDIATELY or we're ALL DEAD" mentality surrounding the Patriot Act, while excusing the "This has to be done IMMEDIATELY or we're ALL DEAD" mentality surrounding this stimulus package.

They're both bull sh-- fear-mongering.

Actually, I'm complaining about the people like you who B word about the "This has to be done IMMEDIATELY or we're ALL DEAD" mentality surrounding the Patriot Act, while excusing the "This has to be done IMMEDIATELY or we're ALL DEAD" mentality surrounding this stimulus package.

Yeah but this time her party is the one that needs it passed NOW NOW NOW!!!!, so fear mongering is OK

I thought it was obvious. But what the hey.

Never mind that the final bill wasn't even released until minutes before the House voted for it. And yes, it's totally believable that each member of Congress read all 1,000 pages in 10 minutes.

1) There were handwritten notes thrown into it by dems at the very end before it was released that weren't seen until the day it was voted on

2) Republicans were left out of the meetings finalizing the bill

3) The bill has been stripped of things and had other things added in several times over the week

So even though it was discussed over the week, the final bill was not "gone over by the GOP with a fine toothed comb" as by all accounts that would be impossible in less than 24 hours (when the Dems promised 48 hours...you're saying its ok they broke that promise?) Even one democrat admitted to the press he wasn't sure what was in the final bill.

I never said the recession would end when the ink was dry? Not sure where that came from?

As others have said, liberals are still losing their minds about the Patriot Act....but they give a free pass on this. Both are fear mongering.

And bitching that its not signed in seconds? Obama is screaming on national TV that there cannot be a delay and the time for discussion was over, it had to be finalized NOW.....then he goes off on vacation for a couple days.

1) There were handwritten notes thrown into it by dems at the very end before it was released that weren't seen until the day it was voted on

2) Republicans were left out of the meetings finalizing the bill

3) The bill has been stripped of things and had other things added in several times over the week

So even though it was discussed over the week, the final bill was not "gone over by the GOP with a fine toothed comb" as by all accounts that would be impossible in less than 24 hours (when the Dems promised 48 hours...you're saying its ok they broke that promise?) Even one democrat admitted to the press he wasn't sure what was in the final bill.

I never said the recession would end when the ink was dry? Not sure where that came from?

As others have said, liberals are still losing their minds about the Patriot Act....but they give a free pass on this. Both are fear mongering.

And bitching that its not signed in seconds? Obama is screaming on national TV that there cannot be a delay and the time for discussion was over, it had to be finalized NOW.....then he goes off on vacation for a couple days.

It sucks with both and both are likely to have heavy consequences

It sucks with both and both are likely to have heavy consequences

Topic for another thread....but I feel the Patriot Act is more of an umbrella effect that many might never even experience yet is just as harmful, whereas the stimulus could have a bad/good effect on each us personally.

Topic for another thread....but I feel the Patriot Act is more of an umbrella effect that many might never even experience yet is just as harmful, whereas the stimulus could have a bad/good effect on each us personally.

I do agree very much about the fear mongering....its ridiculous