So Wait a Second

BillsNYC

1) There were handwritten notes thrown into it by dems at the very end before it was released that weren't seen until the day it was voted on

2) Republicans were left out of the meetings finalizing the bill

3) The bill has been stripped of things and had other things added in several times over the week

Maybe that's why zero Republican members of the House and only 3 from the Senate voted for it. Ladies and gents, that cannot be a good sign of things to come. The Dems seemed to have all jumped over the cliff for Obama without looking at the way down. :w00t:

President Obama is the legacy of George W. Bush and the incompetent GOP. He has a mandate, and so does Congress, thanks to the mishanding this country suffered at the hands of the wingnuts and their misguided ideas. Obama said he was going to pass a stimulus package, and he did. He watered it down more than he should have, trying to build bridges with the GOP.

Now he knows that the GOP isn't going to play ball no matter WHAT, look out. He doesn't need them and every time he reaches out and they rebuff him, THEY look bad and he looks better. The American people are totally disgusted with the GOP and it's pretty obvious that there are only a handful of them mature enough to put their country first and have a dialog with the President.

For the last 8 years "The Decider" and his party strong-armed their wingnut agenda any way they could. Along comes a guy who asks them to work with him, and they have a hissy fit and insist their way is the only way that will work (when it has already failed).

The bill is what it is. Anyone who thinks that Obama's "vacation" doesn't include a good portion of time spending reading the bill in its entirety, although he's pretty familiar with it already, is a simpleton.

He doesn't need them and every time he reaches out and they rebuff him, THEY look bad and he looks better. The bill is what it is. Anyone who thinks that Obama's "vacation" doesn't include a good portion of time spending reading the bill in its entirety, although he's pretty familiar with it already, is a simpleton.

This, of course, assumes that the decisions being made by Obama and his buddies (Pelosi, Reid, Frank et. al.) are actually GOOD decisions that won't make things worse. You're of the mindset that simply ANYTHING that isn't from the GOP is golden.

The bill is what it is. Anyone who thinks that Obama's "vacation" doesn't include a good portion of time spending reading the bill in its entirety, although he's pretty familiar with it already, is a simpleton.

Looks like he has read it and already plans to change some things, much to the dismay of Barney Frank.

I love this gem from Frank after hearing Gibbs say that Obama may change restrictions on executive compensation after he signs the bill:

“Mr. Gibbs may not like it, but it is going to be enforced,” Representative Barney Frank, Democrat of Massachusetts and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said on CBS. “This is not an option. This is not, frankly, the Bush administration, where they’re going to issue a signing statement and refuse to enforce it.”

If I were on the left, I'd worry less about having the GOP ruffle feathers and worry more about how you all can't even get out of each other's way to save this country from its pending "catastrophe."

Even my most staunch liberal friends are admitting embarrassment with the way this is being handled.

This, of course, assumes that the decisions being made by Obama and his buddies (Pelosi, Reid, Frank et. al.) are actually GOOD decisions that won't make things worse. You're of the mindset that simply ANYTHING that isn't from the GOP is golden.

I don't think you are qualified to represent my mindset, any more than I know what's on yours.

I am not an economist either, so whether these are good decisions that won't make things worse - I can't say. But I do know that the economy is built on confidence. Too much confidence, and things go haywire...people come to their senses and things adjust. Too little confidence, and things tank. As we have seen. Obviously that's an oversimplified statement but at the root of everything are very human emotions, which need to be addressed.

I didn't like spending a bazillion dollars last year to bail out banks, and I'm not that thrilled about spending a bazillion more now. However - I do believe that it's time to invest in this country. To the extent that our roads and bridges are improved and we have new industry, the bill's a good thing.

The alternative - tax cuts - was a joke. Didn't work before, won't work now - not alone. You need something that puts people to work, and a little something to give them hope. Doing nothing? While tens of thousands of jobs are lost weekly? Not really an option. Funny how many people think it is...until THEIR job goes away. The real rate of unemployment, when you add those looking to those working only part-time because it's all they can find, plus the discouraged workers who have quit looking, is around 10%. And it's not going to improve any time soon. Doing nothing is really not an option.

If your liberal friends are embarrassed, that's their problem. I'd be more embarrassed to be of the party that drove us into this mess. Barack Obama and his team are extremely intelligent and have the best interests of people in mind...yeh, they'll make mistakes. Seems to me George Bush got a pass for 9/11, almost 9 months after being in office. Obama has been in office less than a month. He's going to make some mistakes...but unlike his predecessor he will ADMIT them, which is the only way you can ever FIX them.

I don't think you are qualified to represent my mindset, any more than I know what's on yours.

I am not an economist either, so whether these are good decisions that won't make things worse - I can't say. But I do know that the economy is built on confidence. Too much confidence, and things go haywire...people come to their senses and things adjust. Too little confidence, and things tank. As we have seen. Obviously that's an oversimplified statement but at the root of everything are very human emotions, which need to be addressed.

I didn't like spending a bazillion dollars last year to bail out banks, and I'm not that thrilled about spending a bazillion more now. However - I do believe that it's time to invest in this country. To the extent that our roads and bridges are improved and we have new industry, the bill's a good thing.

The alternative - tax cuts - was a joke. Didn't work before, won't work now - not alone. You need something that puts people to work, and a little something to give them hope. Doing nothing? While tens of thousands of jobs are lost weekly? Not really an option. Funny how many people think it is...until THEIR job goes away. The real rate of unemployment, when you add those looking to those working only part-time because it's all they can find, plus the discouraged workers who have quit looking, is around 10%. And it's not going to improve any time soon. Doing nothing is really not an option.

If your liberal friends are embarrassed, that's their problem. I'd be more embarrassed to be of the party that drove us into this mess. Barack Obama and his team are extremely intelligent and have the best interests of people in mind...yeh, they'll make mistakes. Seems to me George Bush got a pass for 9/11, almost 9 months after being in office. Obama has been in office less than a month. He's going to make some mistakes...but unlike his predecessor he will ADMIT them, which is the only way you can ever FIX them.

Classic. The new president and congress don't work together effectively because of the previous president's lack of leadership. You're a hoot. ;)

1) There were handwritten notes thrown into it by dems at the very end before it was released that weren't seen until the day it was voted on

2) Republicans were left out of the meetings finalizing the bill

3) The bill has been stripped of things and had other things added in several times over the week

So even though it was discussed over the week, the final bill was not "gone over by the GOP with a fine toothed comb" as by all accounts that would be impossible in less than 24 hours (when the Dems promised 48 hours...you're saying its ok they broke that promise?) Even one democrat admitted to the press he wasn't sure what was in the final bill.

I never said the recession would end when the ink was dry? Not sure where that came from?

As others have said, liberals are still losing their minds about the Patriot Act....but they give a free pass on this. Both are fear mongering.

And bitching that its not signed in seconds? Obama is screaming on national TV that there cannot be a delay and the time for discussion was over, it had to be finalized NOW.....then he goes off on vacation for a couple days.

Pot meet Kettle. I hear you, and as horrible as this sounds this is the only way Congress gets anything done, when it appears something is urgent. You would have seen 10 times the pork on both sides if there was more time given to it. Also, this is the same way the Republicans (you don't hear Collins or Snowe complaining) treated the Democrats.

That being said when the shoe was on the other foot, we complained just as much to little avail. But it makes of nice theatre, little else.

I don't think it was rank and file Democrats jumping off the cliff for Obama, they were just following Nancy their Pied Piper

She is a nice foil for the Republican to blame... they hate her anyway and it is better for Obama if she is blamed then anyone else. I don't like her, but at least she is a loyal Republican hating Dem... And so is Boehner on the other side. You have to respect their motives, they can't stand the other side with every fiber of their being.... Can anyone say "War of the Roses"!

Classic. The new president and congress don't work together effectively because of the previous president's lack of leadership. You're a hoot. ;)

It was only a matter of time before this one would blame Bush for Obama. Too predictable.

Can someone please explain to me how tax cuts add to the cost of a spending package. It keeps being presented that Democrats made some concessions to have tax cuts as part of the bazillion dollar bill. Huh?

I've read enough of your posts to know your mindset, and it plays as unbelievably simple as this: the absolute worst thing ever done by a Democrat will forever be better than the absolute best thing ever done by a Republican.

In a nutshell.

I've read enough of your posts to know your mindset, and it plays as unbelievably simple as this: the absolute worst thing ever done by a Democrat will forever be better than the absolute best thing ever done by a Republican.

In a nutshell.

Like Abe Lincoln the Republican freeing the slaves and Democrats forming the KKK, he'd find a way to justify that the Dems were right and Republicans were wrong on that one!

Ha! Joking Blz...

Can you point to any post-WWII examples where a large expansion of public spending pulled a countries economy out of stagnation and/or recession? And compare them to examples where reducing taxes and denationalizing economic interests led to the same?

I can think of no examples of the former and plenty of examples of the latter. Maybe I'm missing some...