Combine Attendees Should be in the Starting Block

H2o

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/12/...be-wise-to-run/

Among our favorite features is a segment from Colts G.M. Bill Polian (yeah, the same guy we rip from time to time) regarding the importance of the Combine. And he makes a great point about the annual group of players who choose not to run the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis.

“Any time a player doesn’t run at the Combine, it raises a yellow flag,” Polian tells Clifton Brown. “If you’re fast, you shouldn’t be afraid to show people that you’re fast.”

Amen.

Then again, we continue to believe that the precise amount of time that it takes a guy to cover 40 yards in his underwear is largely irrelevant to his overall skills. Still, Sporting News points out on the page across from Polian’s comments that there’s talk Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree could slide out of the top ten if he can’t beat 4.5 seconds.

If Crabtree is there at #11 we'd be flippin retards not to take him. Period. I know we have other needs, but this guy is going to be a monster in the NFL. He's like a Fitz clone.

If Crabtree is there at #11 we'd be flippin retards not to take him. Period. I know we have other needs, but this guy is going to be a monster in the NFL. He's like a Fitz clone.

I think he's overrated. No doubt that he had a great career and he had stats that make you want to salivate, but you have to take into consideration the college system he was in. They threw and threw and threw not to mention Mike Leach is a genius and put his players in a position to win and have great Stats, I mean look at Grahm Harrel's numbers.

I know your hell bent on getting a WR, and I agree that we need one, but we do have more pressing needs.

I think he's overrated. No doubt that he had a great career and he had stats that make you want to salivate, but you have to take into consideration the college system he was in. They threw and threw and threw not to mention Mike Leach is a genius and put his players in a position to win and have great Stats, I mean look at Grahm Harrel's numbers.

I know your hell bent on getting a WR, and I agree that we need one, but we do have more pressing needs.

Nah bro', not bent on getting a WR though I do think we need one. My opinion is that I think Crabtree is that much of a difference maker. His overall skillset and ability is what makes the guy stand out to me. I buy into the "system" arguement for the QB's, but not for WR's. He played against Big XII competition for these last couple of years and put up those #'s. I just think he's that good that we'd be idiots not to take him if he falls into our lap. I was also thinking that some one would almost certainly be calling us on draft day to move up to get him. Some one could also very well make us an offer we could not refuse, like Philly wanting to move up and take him. They also have 2 late first round selections. If they would give us both of those? Done without a second thought.

I want to see what my boy Maclin runs.....and no I'm saying we should draft him, just want to see what he runs.

I bet Macklin is one of the top 3 fastest guys at the combine for real. I think he'll run a sub 4.35 almost certainly.

The offense, be it TE taking the safest option or the plays called by the coaches, need to change philosophy if they want to pursue a WR in the 1st round.

Unless they are going to change their philosophical stripes, I'd like to see them contemplate a TE in the 2nd.

A little off topic but still footbal related.....

The 40 time is absolutely made a big deal of and it goes all the way down to the high school level if you want to play in college.

My son will be attending a high school underclassmen combine this weekend (he was invited) and he told me if he runs anything over a 4.8 he is going to be extremely upset.

To me your "20" time should be much more important then your 40

Crabtree is the top overall prospect and is going to be a star. 99% of mocks have him going to Seattle at number 4. And that's a s far as he will "fall". I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams pulled the trigger on him at number 2, actually.

Thats the talk round these parts.......a lot of people want Crabtree in St. Louis. Theres a lot of others who want them to draft Maclin though (trading down of course if they could) because some thing he's a better fit for their system and they are desperate for a punt/kick returner, and he is a local kid from St. louis. They could go a number of directions.

You know who ran a slow 40? Jerry Rice. How'd he turn out?

Fitzgerald also didn't run a very fast 40 time. I believe he was in the mid 4.5's and it's worked out well for him also. Didn't look like anyone was catching him from behind on that slant route in the SB.

Fitzgerald also didn't run a very fast 40 time. I believe he was in the mid 4.5's and it's worked out well for him also. Didn't look like anyone was catching him from behind on that slant route in the SB.

Yep. There's combine/"track" speed and then there's football game speed.

If for some lighting strike reason the dude falls to the Bills I agree they should snatch him and see if Hardy can be converted into a TE. JMO.