How many QB's in Bills history would you want...

Yoho

QUOTE (Chandler#81 @ Feb 12 2009, 06:40 AM)

Tom Flores -washed up when acquired -Nope, very effective w/ Oakland the season before coming with Powell for the Bomber prior to '67. Injured alot, then disposed of in Rauch's housecleaning. Retired to join coaching staff-[/color]

Gary Marangi -exposed once he actually played -True, but was very effective running

Gale Gilbert -a 3rd stringer who never did anything in the NFL

Marlin Briscoe -a better WR than a QB -An excellent receiver, only allowed to show his QB skills w/Denver. Exciting playmaker, he was forced to run from Saban and racisim. I'd have loved to watch him QB

James Harris -drafted before his time -Whatever, I'd take him over Trent right now.

Vince Ferragamo -not solely his fault we were 2-14. Damn right! Cut in midseason and finished 2005 on Green Bay-not responsible for losses after we cut him.

Kay Stephenson had a better career coaching than playing QB.

Just a few QB's that I can fool the youngsters who never saw any of them play into thinking are better than the current group.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the OP. I think he's asking how many past Bills QB's would I want to see instead of current. Then he listed the obvious 6, which was mimicked by nearly all other posters. Rather than adding 'ditto's', I thought about the next 6 that at least provided hope, if not experience. Granted, Marangi is a reach, but the rest are no more or no less than what we've seen to date.. As for Edwards, I -once again- have hope. but...

I've seen all on your list except Flores and Kay. Marangi was horrible. Harris just played on bad teams but I think he could have been better than he was. Briscoe does not count as you said about being a WR and I just did not like Ferragamo.

If you take ex-Bills at TE's age - I think 4 - Kelly, Kemp, Lamonica and Flutie. I question, however, if Lamonica or Kemp would be able to play in the speed of the modern game. Ferguson couldn't win with the Juice, he definitely couldn't win now (needless to say, for the past 4 years of I was afraid if Losman became a full-time starter, he would be the 2nd coming of Joe - a .500 QB that shows glimpses of greatness and potential, but never gets you anywhere). Other than that you can throw out the whole lot of them...

Silly.Speed of the modern game. What a laugh. Yeah they were sooo slow back then. And TE is such a great athlete...cough...

Silly.Speed of the modern game. What a laugh. Yeah they were sooo slow back then. And TE is such a great athlete...cough...

By "speed of the modern game" he meant that a quarterback has to be able to process information more quickly today than had been the case a generation ago. While part of this is because players are faster now than they had been, it's mostly because offenses and defenses have become more complex.

Way too early to call yet, but from what I've seen from Trent so far:

Kelly

Lamonica

Flutie

Fergy was horrible... I would take JP though before I would take Brain Dead Drew. :w00t:

Rico, sometimes you surprise me... not a lot. Was Fergy that horrible? Maybe we were watching different guys. Fergy was a "game manager" early in his career, but was near the leauge leaders in passig for about 3 years, during the Knox era. I would kill for as "horrible" a QB as Fergy, over the last 13 years.

And, I know you loathe Bledsoe, but you could argue, that his first 8 games in a Bills uniform, was about a good an 8 game stretch that anyone has put together as a Buffalo Bill. Could you make any real claim like that in regards to JP? Knowing what you know (or maybe don't know?) you would really take JP Losman over Bledsoe?

I despise Doug Flutie, did before he was a Bill, while he was a Bill, and after he was a Bill. I wouldn't let that cloud my judgement though, that his name would be among the relatively few successful QB's in Bills history.

Trent? Jury is still out. I know I already like him more than any other starter we have had since Kelly, recognizing the fact that he still has a lot to prove.

I started this thread, so I will attempt to summarize:

If you could have any of the Bills QB's (at the age they were when they were with the Bills) who would you want to go in to the season with ahead of Trent Edwards?

Clearly: Jim Kelly, Jack Kemp

Almost Unanimously; Joe Ferguson, Darryl Lamonica

Mixed Opinion: Frank Reich, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsow

There were a lot of other names thrown out but pretty much roundly rejected.

Personally, I would go with the first four. After that I would take my shot at Edwards. We will find out in a few years. I hope he lives up to his potential. I am too old for him not to.

I looked up the career stats for Trent Edwards and Drew Bledsoe. Let's compare numbers:

Bledsoe (first season here)

Yards per pass attempt: 7.1

TD/INT ratio: 1.6

Bledsoe (second and third seasons here)

Yards per pass attempt: 6.3

TD/INT ratio: 1.2

Trent Edwards (career)

Yards per pass attempt: 6.7

TD/INT ratio: 1.0

Overall, Trent is a somewhat better quarterback than Bledsoe had been those last two years, especially when you consider that Trent is pretty good at getting rid of the ball quickly, and Bledsoe had been a sack waiting to happen. But Trent is clearly not performing at nearly the same level Bledsoe had during the first eight games of the 2002 season.