Bad Predictions TMQ Article

Wooderson

Yep, that's TMQ for ya. Ready and willing to critique every sports journalist besides himself.

It's one of the benefits of writing one's own column.

Hell, you never see me criticize myself. It's not that I don't, it's that I feel strangely uncompelled to share my self-criticism with you bozos. :thumbsup:

Yep, that's TMQ for ya. Ready and willing to critique every sports journalist besides himself.

From the same article:

"Category Four -- Bad TMQ Predictions: "The Steelers were the best 2007 team to draw little media notice. They finished third in points allowed, ninth in points scored -- the sort of combination normally associated with a Super Bowl entrant." So I wrote in my preseason preview: so far, so good. Then again, I forecast the Packers to finish 13-3, Arizona to finish 6-10, Carolina to finish 5-11, Miami to finish 2-14. I am glad no one does a Bad Predictions Review of my bad predictions. "

:thumbsup::):nana:

From the same article:

"Category Four -- Bad TMQ Predictions: "The Steelers were the best 2007 team to draw little media notice. They finished third in points allowed, ninth in points scored -- the sort of combination normally associated with a Super Bowl entrant." So I wrote in my preseason preview: so far, so good. Then again, I forecast the Packers to finish 13-3, Arizona to finish 6-10, Carolina to finish 5-11, Miami to finish 2-14. I am glad no one does a Bad Predictions Review of my bad predictions. "

:thumbsup::):nana:

Ha! Egg in my face, I guess. In general though, he does take a "holier than thou art" approach to everything he writes, as if he's the ultimate source on football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/090210

"Jeremy Green of ESPN Insider predicted "James Hardy has a chance to be a real sleeper this season." Perhaps he meant to say Hardy would oversleep; the wide receiver caught nine passes."

Hardy was really unprepared for the NFL, and his late season knee injury ruined his already lousy rookie season. But don't forget that James Harrison was an undrafted free agent that was cut more then once before he finally caught on as a special teams demon on the Steelers. Look at the guy now. NFL defensive player of the year, and he made the obvious play of the game to keep the Steelers ahead in the first half of this year's SB. Jeremy Green was not the only writer or football personnel guy that thought Hardy would be very good his rookie season. Hopefully James can rehab, grow up a little and come back strong the next couple of years.

Ha! Egg in my face, I guess. In general though, he does take a "holier than thou art" approach to everything he writes, as if he's the ultimate source on football.

Easterbrook would fit in perfecttly around here, but he'd have to control the urge to be literate....

Actually, he routinely criticizes himself. And he also makes it clear that unlike most prognosticators, he realizes that he's basically guessing, even if it's an informed guess.

He's one of the absolute best writers out there.

EDIT: Oh, you guys already beat me to it. Self-criticism: Hey, Thurman#1, try reading the whole thread before you point out the obvious, you bonehead.

Actually, he routinely criticizes himself. And he also makes it clear that unlike most prognosticators, he realizes that he's basically guessing, even if it's an informed guess.

He's one of the absolute best writers out there.

EDIT: Oh, you guys already beat me to it. Self-criticism: Hey, Thurman#1, try reading the whole thread before you point out the obvious, you bonehead.

One thing I've noticed is that he develops his own little theories (for example, he seems to think that punting should be avoided at all costs when it's 4th and short). When a coach decides to punt and it ultimately hurts the team, he brags about his theory being correct. However, he conveniently ignores it when the coach elects to go for 4th down and fails. I never said he was a bad writer, he just writes with a "Listen up! I know more than you" tone.

It's one of the benefits of writing one's own column.

Hell, you never see me criticize myself. It's not that I don't, it's that I feel strangely uncompelled to share my self-criticism with you bozos. :rolleyes:

You'll never see me criticize myself either, because I am always right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/090210

"Jeremy Green of ESPN Insider predicted "James Hardy has a chance to be a real sleeper this season." Perhaps he meant to say Hardy would oversleep; the wide receiver caught nine passes."

The picture of Katrina Darrell was the most interesting part of the article