Jeff Garcia

major

Garcia's whole career is sort of as a Doug Flutie clone?

Flutie clone? Hardly. Dougie would have loved to have been a Garcia clone, though:

NFL Careers (Does anyone care about their CFL careers?)

GP PA Compl. Pct. Yards TD INT RATING

Garcia - 124 3,676 2,264 61.6 25,537 161 83 87.5

Flutie - 92 2,151 1,177 54.7 14,715 84 68 76.3

Flutie clone? Hardly. Dougie would have loved to have been a Garcia clone, though:

grey cups

WELL, given Flutie's size disadvantage, he did alright. Flutie also seemed to have a knack for winning, Garcia hasn't shown this as much.

The Bills offense was certainly more fluent when Flutie was in the game.

And you say it doesn't matter, but duing their times in the CFL Flutie was much better, he was the best quarterback who ever played in the CFL, period.

He never really got his shot in the NFL because he wasn't the prototypical quarterback that teams look for.

My two cents.

He's not a Trent clone in the least. At least not stylistically. Trent is a pocket passer. Garcia flushes out as soon as possible.

For those who would denigrate Garcia's career, pretty much all of us would be better at what we do if we were as good as he is at what he does.

I love this (original) post because I've always felt Garcia was a Flutie clone. He's a totally unconventional quarterback who ad-libs very much and moves his team and wins more often than not. Also he's a guy who has been an underdog his whole life and as a result, has overcompensated for this insecurity. He has a bit of the little dog syndrome. That said, he could be a great pickup. We need someone who can win games for us, as either a starter or a backup.

Is he a great player? Not really but he's been a very good player throughout his career.

Is he the long term answer? No, he's too old.

Would he be a good pickup? That's the big question. He could be brought in under the understanding that he competes for the starting job. We'd be competitive in every game he played.

He's unconventional as I said, he doesn't have the measurables but he's the ultimate gamer and like Flutie, would be a very capable starter.

My only reservation is how he would react if he lost the starting job to Trent and if he would still be an asset to the team. It really rankled him last year when Gruden went to Griese and he was a bit of a malcontent in Cleveland when things went south when he was there.

The Bills would have to make it clear that he could be the starter but that he might not be and they would need assurances from him that if he was second string, that he'd be a good soldier. This is not out of the realm of possibility as a lot of high maintenance players became more graceful at the very end of their careers because they were more cognizant of what their legacy might be. Flutie (and I was a huge fan) was a bit divisive in Buffalo but exited gracefully in San Diego.

In exchange for a shot at starting, perhaps Garcia would agree to set his ego aside a bit. He, like Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner views himself as a high end starting quarterback. But the reality is that none of the above will be playing three years from now.

If the Bills make him an offer with an understanding of his role, it might be the best option he has. It might also be the best option the Bills have.

If the Bills were to sign Garcia, it would be for only one reason. To start. After 4 years of QBs with no business starting in the NFL starting, I'd love to see a real proven NFL QB in town starting for the Bills. It wouldn't hurt Trent to learn from Jeff for a year or two and then step back in as starter. Jeff would probably miss a few games due to injury, so Trent could get some experience. He'd be in much better shape to do it then.

WELL, given Flutie's size disadvantage, he did alright. Flutie also seemed to have a knack for winning, Garcia hasn't shown this as much.

The Bills offense was certainly more fluent when Flutie was in the game.

And you say it doesn't matter, but duing their times in the CFL Flutie was much better, he was the best quarterback who ever played in the CFL, period.

He never really got his shot in the NFL because he wasn't the prototypical quarterback that teams look for.

That's nice that Flutie was the best CFL QB....for a quitter. I'm sure when he hit that Hail Mary pass that is still shown today, 25 years later, as one of the greatest college plays ever, his first thought was..."Wow, Phalen caught the ball and we win, now I can become the greatest QB in the CFL!"

No, after following up that play with the Heisman Trophy, I'm sure ego-manicial Doug was thinking more along the lines of breaking every passing record in the NFL, or at least becoming known as the next Fran Tarkington and making the Hall of Fame. Instead, he quit on the NFL in the prime of his career, only 5 years into it, because he could not take the pressure of being too short in the eyes of stupid NFL coaches. Instead of forcing NFL teams to play him by working harder and having a good patient attitude, he took his game to the CFL.

By your screen name, I see that means something to you, and I have nothing against the CFL. But it is not the NFL, and the way Flutie played in Buffalo those three seasons late in his career, and his one year starting in San Deigo even later, it proves that he would have found his place in the NFL if he would have just stayed here!

Met garcia at a bar in santa monica when he was still a 49ner. This guy is gay I'm not joking he is a homosexual...you know it the minute you start talking to him....the girls I was with didn't know who he was and knew he was gay...don't want him in a bills uni

Firstly Garcia has the effeminate lisp but so does Tim Tebo and Tebo's possibly the baddest ass quarterback ever.

Secondly, Garcia's wife is 2004 Playboy Playmate of the Year and according to Wikipedia the two are expecting their second child. Granted it could be a cover but then again it might not.

Thirdly, who the hell cares if he's gay?

You don't think there are already gays in the NFL or on the Bills?

According to the 2000 census, 1.5% of Americans consider themselves gay.

According to a study by the United Stated Department of Health and Human Services, that number is about 2.5 to 3%.

Based on those percentages and the fact that there are approximately 2000 NFL football players at any one time, there are likely at least 30 gays in the NFL and as many as 60. Because of the culture, very few players have admitted their "gay-ness."

The most recent in memory is Esera Tuaolo, a nose tackle who played nine years in the NFL.

Another gay, Jackie Smith is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Garcia has made four Pro Bowls, most recently in 2007. If he is gay, I'd rather have him at quarterback for the Bills than a lot of the mediocre heterosexual QBs in the league.

And finally, what were you doing in a gay bar in Santa Monica?

Based on those percentages and the fact that there are approximately 2000 NFL football players at any one time, there are likely at least 30 gays in the NFL and as many as 60. Because of the culture, very few players have admitted their "gay-ness."

While you may be right about there being many closeted players, the percentages do not need to line up with those of the general public.

Met garcia at a bar in santa monica when he was still a 49ner. This guy is gay I'm not joking he is a homosexual...you know it the minute you start talking to him....the girls I was with didn't know who he was and knew he was gay...don't want him in a bills uni

post(s) of da day