Sources: Cassel formally accepts franchise tag....

SKOOBY

At least the Pats care about having a good back & this ties up mega money on their behalf. Brady is not going to be ready come regular season if the Pats we're willing to do this (JMHO)

Matt Cassel has accepted the New England Patriots' non-exclusive franchise tender, guaranteeing the quarterback at least $14.65 million next season, league sources told ESPN.

The next step is for the Patriots to send Cassel a contract. Cassel effectively will not be a free agent come Feb. 27 and will not be permitted to shop himself to other teams. The Patriots could still trade Cassel.

Cassel faxed his acceptance to the Patriots, the NFL and the NFLPA on Saturday. That means a $14.651 million salary for 2009 in guaranteed even though he has not signed a one-year contract yet. The franchise tag's value is the average of the top five salaries for NFL players at a particular position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3891669

Source: ESPN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Methinks he called their bluff, i.e., he knows he's a system QB who's not worth anything near this amount--not quite sure what they do now, but can't say that it bothers me. Have fun, Patsies*......

Well we know he isn't stupid, he accepted even before he received the contract.

Detroit? KC?

I don't get the KC talk at all--you hear a lot of that on Patsy* message boards just because of the Pioli connection. First off, Pioli isn't stupid so he knows Cassel is a system QB (heck, he helped set up the system) and more importantly, the Chiefs have Tyler Thigpen on the cheap and considering the talent he had around him compared to what Cassel had around him, I'd go as far as to say that Thigpen had a better year. I just don't see the Chiefs being in the Cassle hunt. Like Cassel, this mere second year player got better as the season progressed (at least pre-year end bad weather games):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...1/game_log.html

Thigpen didn't play with two of the best WR in the League (although Bowe and Gonzalez are good players) behind one of the best O-lines in the League (and yet he still had about half the sacks Cassel took). This is also only Thigpen's second year in the League, compared to four for Matty C.

Methinks he called their bluff, i.e., he knows he's a system QB who's not worth anything near this amount--not quite sure what they do now, but can't say that it bothers me. Have fun, Patsies*......

The Pats will have fun when they get a min. of a 1st and 3 rd round picks. You can talk all you want about a system QB but the fact is he had a very good year. It's his first year playing and he progressed w. each game. He had a better statistical year than the ROY Matt Ryan. 5th in TD passes in the AFC

Cassell 327 516 63.4 3693 7.16 76 21 4.1 11 2.1 47.0 219 89.4

Ryan 265 434 61.1 3440 7.93 70 16 3.7 11 2.5 17.0 104 87.7

He gets traded in late August once the Pats are comfortable that Brady is okay and a desperate team puts a great offer on the table. Nice move by the Pats.

Yeah, nice move--it means they can do little or no FA shopping or contract extending this offseason (remember that literally about 30% of their team, including Wilfork, Mankins, Seymour and others are FA's after 2009). Folks who knob gobble New England need to remember that past performance is not indicative of future returns, especially when past performance may very well have been highly contributed to by guys like Dimitroff (the architect of the Falcons' one year turnaround) and Pioli, both of which are no longer there....

The Pats will have fun when they get a min. of a 1st and 3 rd round picks. You can talk all you want about a system QB but the fact is he had a very good year. It's his first year playing and he progressed w. each game. He had a better statistical year than the ROY Matt Ryan. 5th in TD passes in the AFC

Cassell 327 516 63.4 3693 7.16 76 21 4.1 11 2.1 47.0 219 89.4

Ryan 265 434 61.1 3440 7.93 70 16 3.7 11 2.5 17.0 104 87.7

Who's going to trade for him? KC? Detroit (remember, Matt Millen is gone now)? Signing the tender means Cassel can effectively block the trade by not agreeing to a long term deal. The Pats* have had the control of the situation taken from them by his signing the tender. Cassel may have been a "team first" player when he was in their plans, but by trading him it obviously means he's no longer in their plans so don't expect him to do them any favors in the trade dept. If he doesn't like the situation they're trying to send him into he can effectively block the deal.

Who knows, there may be Matt Millen II out there somewhere dumb enough to trade for him, but I suspect that real NFL front office folks can actually watch film and see that this guy can't hit the long ball to save his life and that most of his stats came from short throws to some of the best receivers in the League behind one of the best 0-lines in the League, with lots of the yardage coming from YAC. Time will tell, but if the Pats* don't get something done soon, kiss their offseason shopping goodby.....

Who's going to trade for him? KC? Detroit (remember, Matt Millen is gone now)? Signing the tender means Cassel can effectively block the trade by not agreeing to a long term deal. The Pats* have had the control of the situation taken from them by his signing the tender. Cassel may have been a "team first" player when he was in their plans, but by trading him it obviously means he's no longer in their plans so don't expect him to do them any favors in the trade dept. If he doesn't like the situation they're trying to send him into he can effectively block the deal.

Who knows, there may be Matt Millen II out there somewhere dumb enough to trade for him, but I suspect that real NFL front office folks can actually watch film and see that this guy can't hit the long ball to save his life and that most of his stats came from short throws to some of the best receivers in the League behind one of the best 0-lines in the League, with lots of the yardage coming from YAC. Time will tell, but if the Pats* don't get something done soon, kiss their offseason shopping goodby.....

I'm not going to say that Cassel is as good as his numbers. I don't even think he will be worth as much as what he'll end up getting. Your depiction of him is a little extreme, though. I can think of alot of Qbs who wouldn't have produced like him in that situation. The o-line is not what it used to be either. They look outstanding against the Bills but struggle against real D-lines. Cassel is young and did a great job filling in for Brady. The book is still out on him, IMO.

He gets traded in late August once the Pats are comfortable that Brady is okay and a desperate team puts a great offer on the table. Nice move by the Pats.

It would be my guess that the Patriots would like to trade him before or during the draft. What happens if the chiefs and lions draft qbs? At that point neither team would be looking for a qb. If the Patriots wait until August, they will get draft picks for the April 2010 draft. Why not trade this offseason and get players that can help you next season. I think they may have a difficult time trading Cassel. The chiefs and Lions will not give up their firsts. The patriots probably will not trade him for a 2nd. Plus whatever team trades for him will want to sign him long term. It will be hard to give Cassel a contract that competes with 14.6 million he will receive next year.

At least the Pats care about having a good back & this ties up mega money on their behalf. Brady is not going to be ready come regular season if the Pats we're willing to do this (JMHO)

Matt Cassel has accepted the New England Patriots' non-exclusive franchise tender, guaranteeing the quarterback at least $14.65 million next season, league sources told ESPN.

The next step is for the Patriots to send Cassel a contract. Cassel effectively will not be a free agent come Feb. 27 and will not be permitted to shop himself to other teams. The Patriots could still trade Cassel.

Cassel faxed his acceptance to the Patriots, the NFL and the NFLPA on Saturday. That means a $14.651 million salary for 2009 in guaranteed even though he has not signed a one-year contract yet. The franchise tag's value is the average of the top five salaries for NFL players at a particular position.

I think this has very little with securing a good backup. This is all about trying to receive compensation for Cassel, something they may not be able to do.

Expect Obama's people to be on the phone Monday to impose a more reasonable salary for Cassel.

I think this has very little with securing a good backup. This is all about trying to receive compensation for Cassel, something they may not be able to do.

You maybe right but I wonder if Brady on a shelf forced that option. Paying a guy who has one decent season ~10% of your salary cap seems a bit strong.

the Pats did not franchise Cassel because they care so much about having a good backup, they franchised him as insurance for Brady and so they wouldnt lose him for nothing

I'm not going to say that Cassel is as good as his numbers. I don't even think he will be worth as much as what he'll end up getting. Your depiction of him is a little extreme, though. I can think of alot of Qbs who wouldn't have produced like him in that situation. The o-line is not what it used to be either. They look outstanding against the Bills but struggle against real D-lines. Cassel is young and did a great job filling in for Brady. The book is still out on him, IMO.

I'm pretty sure their O-line was pretty much the same as during Brady's 2007 historic run--namely, Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal and Kaczur. The best 3 of those gents (Mankins, Koppen and Light) started all 16 this year and of the other two, Kaczur missed two starts and Neal, their weak link, started 9 and played in 11. If you recall, under Brady, three of them made the Pro Bowl. Under Cassel, none of them got a sniff. Behind that same O-line, Cassel got sacked about three times a game as well. Not quite sure what you mean by their O-line not being what it used to be as this shows. Cassel just held the ball too long in some situations (sound familiar?) when Brady would have gotten it out more quickly and that's why Cassel took twice as many sacks. They didn't have him throw the long ball much, either, so in some ways it's even odder that he got hit so often.

Or a Donahoe II who gave up a 1st rd pick for Drew Bledsoe.