Intersting draft scenario...

Alphadawg7

Well, I think there is a dark horse player that could possibly heavily influence our draft slot. I think Sanchez is going to have a real good combine driving him up the draft boards as a top 10 player. If he does, it is quite possible he will fall to us at #11 if Stafford is taken first because of team needs, much like Quinn fell and Aaron Rodgers fell after the top QB went off the board. If he does, it will open up 2 possibilities worth considering...(remember this is assuming a strong combine by Sanchez, but I fully expect that):

I'd first like to know what Matt Cassel's mother thinks about this. Surely she would have a more inside perspective on this. :D

I'm not sure Sanchez is as coveted as you make him out to be. He has 16 career college starts and while his numbers are good, that's not exactly the thing a team likes when using a first rounder on a QB. Rose Bowl or not, I think NFL teams know that using a top pick should be on someone with a longer track record in the college game.

Also not sure if Pete Carroll's strong recommendation to remain in school might hurt him. That situation is either PC being a college coach and wanting to keep his QB, or a situation where he didn't think Sanchez was ready.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we had the #2 WR position *finally* solved when we drafted Reed, Parrish, Hardy

Of course I'm being sarcastic, as we already have the #2 WR position solved. His name is Lee Evans. Now that #1 WR position is another story...

That so-called #2 WR of yours has better statistics through his first 5 seasons than Andre Reed had through his first 5 seasons:

Player GP REC YDS AVG Long TDS

Reed 74 317 4,408 13.8 72 31

Evans 80 296 4,744 16.0 87T 32

And I'm quite certain you're not careless enough to say that Andre Reed wasn't a number 1 WR...so take your misplaced comment to the Land of Facts-Don't-Matter.

That so-called #2 WR of yours has better statistics through his first 5 seasons than Andre Reed had through his first 5 seasons:

And I'm quite certain you're not careless enough to say that Andre Reed wasn't a number 1 WR...so take your misplaced comment to the Land of Facts-Don't-Matter.

Also not mentioned is look who is been throwing to Evans and who was throwing to Reed during those spans...

How many CIN games did you watch last season? :D

If you are a normal human being who doesn't live in Cincinnati and so can hardly avoid them if you care to watch tv games, my guess is that your answer approaches zero.

I am not going to pretend to be an expert on Cincy...so let's assume you are right and Cincy doesnt take Raji (I still think they must go D with their pick though). If Raji is so highly regarded now, his stock will only elevate after the combine...do you really see the best DT lasting to #11, especially with the next best one not rated nearly as high as him?

There are several teams above us that have a big need at DT...

So, even if Cincy passes on him for OL, I still dont think he falls to us, so not much changes in terms of this scenario I presented...

Also not sure if Pete Carroll's strong recommendation to remain in school might hurt him. That situation is either PC being a college coach and wanting to keep his QB, or a situation where he didn't think Sanchez was ready.

I know I'm going to hear a little crap about this, but I think that Pete was lashing out because he knows how deeply this effects his team next year. This is going to keep them from a NC possibly. Everyone is going to be slobbing USC again, but they will have a young QB that is going to blow their shot at a BCS Title appearance. I would almost bet my house on this being Carroll's reasons behind his comments. It would be a dirty play on his part, Carroll that is, but Sanchez controls his own destiny with his workouts and testing. I think Sanchez knows this and left in spite of Pete's conversation with him and that's what ran Carroll a little hot under the collar. So he "cordially" :D said goodbye to his vaunted QB.

Who said anything about Andre Reed? Not a valid comparison, the passing game 20 years ago didn't rack up the same numbers as they do today

I'd first like to know what Matt Cassel's mother thinks about this. Surely she would have a more inside perspective on this. :D

I'm not sure Sanchez is as coveted as you make him out to be. He has 16 career college starts and while his numbers are good, that's not exactly the thing a team likes when using a first rounder on a QB. Rose Bowl or not, I think NFL teams know that using a top pick should be on someone with a longer track record in the college game.

That is why I prefaced this with a big combine from Sanchez. I am not putting his stock this high at this current moment, but I fully do expect a big combine from him and that will catapult him up those draft boards...add in the Success Cassel had coming out of the same system with ZERO starts at USC, this is the perfect year for him to make a sharp rise in the boards which is most likely why he decided to come out now...

USC has produced 3 notable QB's in recent years...Palmer, Leinart, and Cassel. 2 have had noticeable success coming out of that pro system, and Leinart still is an unknown but viewed as young QB with potential.

Also not mentioned is look who is been throwing to Evans and who was throwing to Reed during those spans...

Evans had Trent Edwards, JP Losman, and Kelly Holcomb

Reed had Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, and Drew Bledsoe

What difference does Reed's two years with Bledsoe have to do with anything?

Evans had Trent Edwards, JP Losman, and Kelly Holcomb

Reed had Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, and Drew Bledsoe

What difference does Reed's two years with Bledsoe have to do with anything?

:bag: Uhhhh.................They're talking about Andre Reed there friend :D

I think in that scenario we could be offered a trade down, but with the teams that are after us (Den, Was, NO, Hou and SD) we would probably get the trade down value for the 15th slot instead of the 11th. Then the trade partner (say the Jets) would make the same offer to the Broncos and on down the line until they their got their player or upped the trade offer right before a team that needed a qb would pick.

We need to have someone fall to us that Den, Was and/or NO covet, we don't, and someone in the 15-20 range really wants. Possibly CB Malcolm Jenkins if Hou, SD or NYJ were involved? Does Philly with an extra 1st rounder need a db?

Of course some will say we won't pass on the db......

I know I'm going to hear a little crap about this, but I think that Pete was lashing out because he knows how deeply this effects his team next year. This is going to keep them from a NC possibly. Everyone is going to be slobbing USC again, but they will have a young QB that is going to blow their shot at a BCS Title appearance. I would almost bet my house on this being Carroll's reasons behind his comments. It would be a dirty play on his part, Carroll that is, but Sanchez controls his own destiny with his workouts and testing. I think Sanchez knows this and left in spite of Pete's conversation with him and that's what ran Carroll a little hot under the collar. So he "cordially" :D said goodbye to his vaunted QB.

What was that about a dirty Sanchez? :bag:

There is nooooo way Sanchez works out at the combine. I do however see him having a great pro day at USC's workouts. Regardless love the post and I hope it happens. Sanchez is overrated and someone will find that out the hard way, I just hope were the team that capitalizes on it!!

No thanks for a QB that has started about 11 games and that is his football experience at QB? He will likely end up going late 1st round as that is a HUGE concern for many teams. If you want him to sit for 2-3 years and learn then maybe.....but what a waste of a 1st round pick that would be. There will be plenty of available players there for the Bills.

I think in that scenario we could be offered a trade down, but with the teams that are after us (Den, Was, NO, Hou and SD) we would probably get the trade down value for the 15th slot instead of the 11th. Then the trade partner (say the Jets) would make the same offer to the Broncos and on down the line until they their got their player or upped the trade offer right before a team that needed a qb would pick.

We need to have someone fall to us that Den, Was and/or NO covet, we don't, and someone in the 15-20 range really wants. Possibly CB Malcolm Jenkins if Hou, SD or NYJ were involved? Does Philly with an extra 1st rounder need a db?

Of course some will say we won't pass on the db......

I see your point...However, I think we will have some leverage though which will come from there being several teams potentially looking to grab the QB once you get to slot #17. So, they will run the risk of someone trading up ahead of them, so trying to find a trading partner below us poses risk to them. For instance, NY is talking to say Houston at 15, TB may be talking to someone ahead of that slot like us or Den to move up and get the same player.

No thanks for a QB that has started about 11 games and that is his football experience at QB? He will likely end up going late 1st round as that is a HUGE concern for many teams. If you want him to sit for 2-3 years and learn then maybe.....but what a waste of a 1st round pick that would be. There will be plenty of available players there for the Bills.

He started 16 games, not 11 and is coming from a system who's last 3 QB's before him were 2 heisman winners (one of which has had pretty good success in the NFL and the other is still an unknown) and Cassel who had ZERO starts and came out and had a very productive year in his first games since High School. Thats a Pro System there at USC and that will help his stock. Make no mistake, Cassels development and success with no college starts will help counter the concerns of him starting just 16 games...

This is the perfect year for him to come out.

He started 16 games, not 11 and is coming from a system who's last 3 QB's before him were 2 heisman winners (one of which has had pretty good success in the NFL and the other is still an unknown) and Cassel who had ZERO starts and came out and had a very productive year in his first games since High School. Thats a Pro System there at USC and that will help his stock. Make no mistake, Cassels development and success with no college starts will help counter the concerns of him starting just 16 games...

This is the perfect year for him to come out.

However, Leinart is the counter argument. I think the incredible advantage that NE has in coaching helped Cassel. Would he have had the same success with the Bills and their staff. I would like to think so but have serious doubts. But Sanchez is a lot brighter than Leinart and his sucess will probably hinge, in part , to the team that chooses him. LIONS ---> C YA Mark

Absolutely to his advantage is that he is in an offense that makes him pro-ready, as you stated.