Intersting draft scenario...

Alphadawg7

However, Leinart is the counter argument. I think the incredible advantage that NE has in coaching helped Cassel. Would he have had the same success with the Bills and their staff. I would like to think so but have serious doubts. But Sanchez is a lot brighter than Leinart and his sucess will probably hinge, in part , to the team that chooses him. LIONS ---> C YA Mark

Absolutely to his advantage is that he is in an offense that makes him pro-ready, as you stated.

I live in LA, and one of the things you hear people say here is his great work ethic...something you dont hear people saying about Leinart...

LMAO about LIONS ----> C YA MARK comment... :w00t:

I wonder if Mark is going "Please not the Lions" of if he is licking his chops at Calvin Johnson and thinking "Well I can't lose any more games than they lost this year, so only way to go is up"

I see your point...However, I think we will have some leverage though which will come from there being several teams potentially looking to grab the QB once you get to slot #17. So, they will run the risk of someone trading up ahead of them, so trying to find a trading partner below us poses risk to them. For instance, NY is talking to say Houston at 15, TB may be talking to someone ahead of that slot like us or Den to move up and get the same player.

Sure, but teams have only so much ammo to make the move. Does his body of work warrant (even with a great combine) someone taking a chance that he is a franchise QB? I guess everyone has an opinion on that, hopefully someone in the 17-20 slots pays up for the chance.

I assume the Bills will be fielding calls whoevers available at their spot.

Sure, but teams have only so much ammo to make the move. Does his body of work warrant (even with a great combine) someone taking a chance that he is a franchise QB? I guess everyone has an opinion on that, hopefully someone in the 17-20 slots pays up for the chance.

I assume the Bills will be fielding calls whoevers available at their spot.

True, good point. My only thinking is that the weak QB class behind him, Cassels play with no college starts, the pro system he played in that produced Palmer and Cassel I think all really going to play in his favor. It helps that several teams have big quesiton marks at QB. Just seems to be the perfect year for his stock to soar...of course all this goes out the window if he doesnt have a strong combine or pro day, but I think the kid can play and has a big showing before the draft.

Just saw the Yahoo mock draft showing both Stafford and Sanchez going in the top 10...interesting, it just furthers my point with this thread...it actually this helps us two ways if these QB's are both graded top 10 come draft time...one it helps push blue chips down the board if both do go in top 10 and also increases the demand for our spot at 11 if one does land with us giving us a realistic trade down scenario for once if neither Orakpo, Brown, or Raji are not there for us at 11.

As a result of both going in top 10, Brown is there for us. KC and SF are both threats to take Brown...but in this scenario, they both go QB and Brown slides to us. I am not sold both go QB though as Thigpen and Hill showed growth, and may feel they have more pressing needs like DE and DT.

We need another mexican QB but only if he has a good combine. Maybe he can help clean up the lawns of Buffalo, LOL.

I think there is a real potential dark horse scenario. First let me say, I firmly believe Orakpo and Brown will be gone by 11. I also see no way Raji makes it past Cinci as they coveted badly Sedrick Ellis last year and missed out on him...their DT situation is no better this year and I just dont see how they can pass on the best DT in the draft when its a real big need for them and a defensive minded coach.

So, with top 2 DE's gone and no Raji...what do the Bills do? Top LB? Pettigrew? Reach for a lower rated DE or Center?

Well, I think there is a dark horse player that could possibly heavily influence our draft slot. I think Sanchez is going to have a real good combine driving him up the draft boards as a top 10 player. If he does, it is quite possible he will fall to us at #11 if Stafford is taken first because of team needs, much like Quinn fell and Aaron Rodgers fell after the top QB went off the board. If he does, it will open up 2 possibilities worth considering...(remember this is assuming a strong combine by Sanchez, but I fully expect that):

1. For all you trade down enthusiasts...having Sanchez fall to 11 also gives us the most hope for a trade down. For a team to trade up, there has to be a player other teams covet enough to give up value to get. Sanchez could be that player this year ASSUMING he has a stong combine as I expect. With Orakpo, Brown and Raji off the board, then trading down to get some extra picks and still grab say Pettigrew, other DE, Center, Etc. really works out for us.

There are quite a few teams BELOW us looking for some answers at QB this offseason...Teams below us that could look to move into our spot to grab Sanchez are Jets (17), Chi (18), TB (19), Det (20), Minn (22), or Tenn (30). The depth of their interest in this scenario will rely heavily on the comination of Sanchez's combine performance and what those teams do in Free Agency.

To be honest, I just can't see any other scenario playing out that will have someone there at 11 that another team is going to covet enough to trade up and get at #11 that we wouldn't take ourselves.

2. In this scenario, could the Bills consider Sanchez as our pick at 11? I know, its blasphemy to suggest to the Trent lovers here, and I am sure I will get blasted for even mentioning it...but if Sanchez moves up the draft boards like Cutler did, he could be someone they see who could come in and push Trent for the job. I am just not too sure the FO and staff are as sold on Trent as the posters of this board are, especially with the durability issue. The game where his mysterious injury kept him out so JP could come in makes me wonder...add in the fact that we have only a 3rd pick invested in Trent, and you have the makings for a surprise dark horse pick...

Please note that I am NOT, let me repeat NOT, currently suggesting that the Bills should take Sanchez or even that they will take him...I am just simply speculating it as an option if the draft plays out this way.

I fully expect Orakpo, Brown, and Raji to be gone when we pick at 11, so if they are gone and Sanchez has a great combine, we could be sitting in a very interesting spot at 11.

We need another mexican QB but only if he has a good combine. Maybe he can help clean up the lawns of Buffalo, LOL.

You know as much as JP didnt put it all together on the field i will always respect him for doing his best to help the community. Cooments like these ^ always bug me for that reason . (not picking on you Skooby in particular just felt like saying this now)

Just my two cents

Wow. I can't believe that people think Bills fans are not sophisticated.

Well thought out post that doesn't just complain but actually offers a plan....... and a Plan B. :w00t:

I see a future in stand-up comedy for you my friend

I am not going to pretend to be an expert on Cincy...so let's assume you are right and Cincy doesnt take Raji (I still think they must go D with their pick though). If Raji is so highly regarded now, his stock will only elevate after the combine...do you really see the best DT lasting to #11, especially with the next best one not rated nearly as high as him?

There are several teams above us that have a big need at DT...

So, even if Cincy passes on him for OL, I still dont think he falls to us, so not much changes in terms of this scenario I presented...

Will Raji be gone? The correct answer is "Perhaps."

We don't yet know what the BILLS will take in free agency, never mind the Bengals and the rest of the top 10, not to mention those other teams in Round One who might need a QB.

It's basically too early to know about much of this right now (even accepting that every year the draft is basically extremely unpredictable).

Who said anything about Andre Reed? Not a valid comparison, the passing game 20 years ago didn't rack up the same numbers as they do today

Actually, the BILLS passing game 20 years ago certainly DID rack up bigger numbers than our passing game these days. The reason being a guy named Kelly.

Evans had Trent Edwards, JP Losman, and Kelly Holcomb

Reed had Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, and Drew Bledsoe

What difference does Reed's two years with Bledsoe have to do with anything?

Ha ha ha. I'm sure you know he was referring to Andre, not Josh.

You don't even know how stupid, obnoxious and racist a comment that was, do you? You have no idea what a complete prick you just came off as.