Donte Whitner

IndyJay1234

Any chance of the Bills redoing his deal right now.

Originally signed a 5 year deal and will be in years 4 next season?

I am on facebook and his last two posts were.

"Going to Buffalo"

and

"is feeling wanted"

I know.. I am speculating about a post on facebook. Any reason he would be in Buffalo other than contract discussions?

Anyways... Thoughts? Other than I am an idiot.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

certainly possible. We wouldn't want him to get into his last year of his contract. The dude is going into his 4th year, is a team captain and leader, and is only 23 years old!

I always forget how young that he is. This will probably be a good year for the Bills to redo his contract, because honestly, his stock can probably only go up from here.

Any chance of the Bills redoing his deal right now.

Originally signed a 5 year deal and will be in years 4 next season?

I am on facebook and his last two posts were.

"Going to Buffalo"

and

"is feeling wanted"

I know.. I am speculating about a post on facebook. Any reason he would be in Buffalo other than contract discussions?

Anyways... Thoughts? Other than I am an idiot.

Based on his performance, I hope that they are asking him to take a pay cut..........but probably going to be giving him a Chris Kelsay type contract because he is a team leader.

I like Whitner and all, but his stats have declined every season in the NFL. He went from 104 tackles(14 games), to 89 tackles(15 games), and this year he had 61 tackles(13 games). I know the injury to his shoulder hurt his stats this year, but the INT's and pass breakups should be higher in number. He only has 2 INT's, 6 passes defensed, and 1 sack in 3 years. I don't think we should be worried about an extension for him just yet. Maybe after next season, if he shows improvement in being a playmaker and not just another guy making tackles 10-15 yards downfield and less tackles per year at that.

certainly possible. We wouldn't want him to get into his last year of his contract. The dude is going into his 4th year, is a team captain and leader, and is only 23 years old!

You factored in everything but his play on the field.....no big deal, who worries about that anyways when handing out millions of dollars. :wallbash:

I like Whitner and all, but his stats have declined every season in the NFL. He went from 104 tackles(14 games), to 89 tackles(15 games), and this year he had 61 tackles(13 games). I know the injury to his shoulder hurt his stats this year, but the INT's and pass breakups should be higher in number. He only has 2 INT's, 6 passes defensed, and 1 sack in 3 years. I don't think we should be worried about an extension for him just yet. Maybe after next season, if he shows improvement in being a playmaker and not just another guy making tackles 10-15 yards downfield and less tackles per year at that.

+1

He needs to start changing games before we shell out anymore cash. DW is not guy offenses plan around, he is a rah rah team leader. A cheerleader in helmet and pads. Yeah the injuries suck but this is football its going to happen. Stop running your mouth about the playoffs and start leading by example. He supposedly has these guys over for film study, what are they doing playing Wii bowling?

You factored in everything but his play on the field.....no big deal, who worries about that anyways when handing out millions of dollars. :wallbash:

I was pointing out the things that aren't really a matter of debate. I don't think he played very well this year, but I also think that he was playing hurt and was further hurt by a lack of pass rush up front. Most of all I think he needs to improve his technique when the ball is in the air. As a 23 year old he will become physically stronger and mentally savvier as he gains more and more experience.

I dont think you can look purely at stats. Didnt the defense improve greatly this season? Wasnt the opposing offense on the field less than in previous years? Didnt we have a better run defense where the safety doesnt need to make the tackle? Just a few things too look at. :wallbash:

Has tackling been the main criticism of Whitner?

Since it is a given that pass defense is not his strong suit, it is in my eyes. I can live with a safety whose coverage skills are somewhat lacking, but makes up for it in terms of his run defense. In the case of Whitner, his run defense this past year was below average and his pass defense even worst. Wait...well what about his ability to make game changing plays? That would also be non-existent.

the main reason I think there is such an undercurrent of resentment at Whitner is because he was drafted at 8. That's something that, at this point, does not matter at all. Should we have drafted Ngata there? Sure. But we didn't, so get over it and deal with what we actually have rather than wishing on yesterday.

I wonder if the Anti-Whitner crowd will be singing the same tune if/when he leaves for a team with an actual pass rush.

Pfft, you act like having a pass rush makes a difference in whether or not the defensive backs can play aggressive. I mean, honestly, look at the top-tier safeties in the NFL this season: Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Michael Griffin, Adrian Wilson, and Brian Dawkins (any others?). Then look at the NFL leaders in team sacks: Pittsburgh (2), Philadelphia (3), Tennessee (5), Baltimore (11), and Arizona (14).

Hang on then...maybe you are onto something!

I dont think you can look purely at stats. Didnt the defense improve greatly this season? Wasnt the opposing offense on the field less than in previous years? Didnt we have a better run defense where the safety doesnt need to make the tackle? Just a few things too look at. :wallbash:

Yes, I said something about his production declining. We do have some better pieces here than in his first season, but my main concern is if he shows the ability to be a difference maker on defense. Hence I wrote:

but the INT's and pass breakups should be higher in number. He only has 2 INT's, 6 passes defensed, and 1 sack in 3 years.

:wallbash:

Wait...well what about his ability to make game changing plays? That would also be non-existent.

Although I disagree with the tackling thing I think this is a fair criticism. That being said if you look around the league's most "game-changingish safties" they all benefit from a terrific pass rush. Just look at Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Michael Griffin. Think they'd be making as many plays with Denney and Kelsay?