Donte Whitner

IndyJay1234

there is no doubt that we have been hoping that Donte would bring some more playmaking ability to the table, but he has been very solid in tackling and coverage. I hope that by providing more pass rush with our DE's he will be more of a playmaker.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRszdeJs5s

You might want to watch it again. Donte tries to put his head down, Sammy gets lower and thats how that happened. Football 101: The low man always wins! And if you think the only reason that he layed there on the field was because he was hurt you are an idiot! He was embarASSed (because SM knocked him on hi A**) and he got sympathy from all of the Donte lovers. AND IT WORKED!!! A seperated schoulder is brutal but it doesn't keep you on your back.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen. It's pretty clear that Morris put his helmet into Whitners injured shoulder.

To say that he stayed down due to embarrassment is asinine. Yes a separated shoulder will keep you down, and especially when someone hits you with their helmet on the shoulder that is already injured. I take it you've never had one, if you did, you wouldn't have typed that moronic drivel.

Just like when i saw it at the game from 11 rows up behind the Bills bench. Morris hit Whitner square on his separated shoulder. Notice how Whitner lay motionless on the field? That's because he got hurt. If someone simply got "trucked," they'd get up and go after the tackler, not lay motionless for a few minutes.

Then again, i suppose you think Kevin Everett got "trucked" as well.

Shanahan's right in that Whitner should have taken his legs out... Donte tried to tackle Sammy Morris the way Takeo Spikes would. Newsflash Donte: you are a DB, not a linebacker.

That's just poor technique. I won't deny that he got injured on the play but the play call was perfect, with Whitner meeting the running back at the line of scrimmage. Instead of bringing him down for a loss, it was a double digit gain because Whitner (as usual) came up short when there was an opportunity to make a big play.

Maybe he has the raw skills to be a great safety in this league... but at some point it has to translate on Sundays when the lights are on. Will it happen this year? I sure hope so, because it sure hasn't happened yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRszdeJs5s

You might want to watch it again. Donte tries to put his head down, Sammy gets lower and thats how that happened. Football 101: The low man always wins! And if you think the only reason that he layed there on the field was because he was hurt you are an idiot! He was embarASSed (because SM knocked him on hi A**) and he got sympathy from all of the Donte lovers. AND IT WORKED!!! A seperated schoulder is brutal but it doesn't keep you on your back.

Your legacy of idiocy grows with every post. The trainers came out onto the field after his shoulder got wrecked. he slowly got up, and they helped him off the field with him arm immobilized. He didn't return to the game. But he didn't get hurt, right? Christ, i don't know why i am arguing with a blatant moron.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen. It's pretty clear that Morris put his helmet into Whitners injured shoulder.

To say that he stayed down due to embarrassment is asinine. Yes a separated shoulder will keep you down, and especially when someone hits you with their helmet on the shoulder that is already injured. I take it you've never had one, if you did, you wouldn't have typed that moronic drivel.

Funny that you say that because I have seperated my shoulder and I also tore my labrum on the same shoulder. My shoulder is miserable to this day but if you dont think the reason why he layed there was partly due to embassment YOU SIR, are an idiot!

Funny that you say that because I have seperated my shoulder and I also tore my labrum on the same shoulder. My shoulder is miserable to this day but if you dont think the reason why he layed there was partly due to embassment YOU SIR, are an idiot!

OK, you've had a separated shoulder, try to remember what that felt like. Now imagine you're on a football field with 300 pound men running around who would like nothing more than to hit you. Now, on top of that, you're separated shoulder was just hit by a 230 pound RB's helmet moments before.

You're telling me you would have gotten up without a grimace of pain, run down the field, and made the tackle?

P.S. If you're going to call someone an idiot in a post, make sure you spell check it first.

OK, you've had a separated shoulder, try to remember what that felt like. Now imagine you're on a football field with 300 pound men running around who would like nothing more than to hit you. Now, on top of that, you're separated shoulder was just hit by a 230 pound RB's helmet moments before.

You're telling me you would have gotten up without a grimace of pain, run down the field, and made the tackle?

P.S. If you're going to call someone an idiot in a post, make sure you spell check it first.

You are right, that spelling is embarrassing. Lucky I'm not an English teacher. I never said I would get up without a grimace but to lay there like he had a neck injury was overplayed IMO. Plus, you are missing the point, poor technique was the reason why he was left crying on his back, not a bum wing.

Plus, you are missing the point, poor technique was the reason why he was left crying on his back, not a bum wing.

This is true. It was poor technique.

The playcall was perfect, putting Donte in a perfect position to make a big play against the reigning AFC champions. As a highly touted young player, as the "leader" of the team, he had every opportunity to bring him down.

Instead, he used poor technique and got run over in the process. If only Donte could tackle as well as he talks.

I've never seen a person improve from 0 INTs in 2 seasons to gang-busters in coverage if they played and started a bunch of games. Donte is not worth an extension and may be worth cutting if he can save us on the salary cap. What do we lose if we cut him? Call it stupid or crazy, but what do we lose if we cut him and what do we gain with an average starting safety?

I say 2-3 INTs and 6-8 PDs instead of the 0 and 1 Donte has been sporting the last few years. If we save money I say we cut our losses with the guy. He's a bust, and he's not even good in coverage. He's not worth the liability in the back-field.

Nothing like displaying your lack of intelligence. Whiner got "run over" by Sammy Morris because morris put a helmet directly into Donte's injured shoulder. He crumpled on impact, not because he got "jacked up", but because he got smacked in the separated shoulder. Notice how he didn't get up and had to be helped off the field after that play, his shoulder hanging limply at his side.

Pretty obvious, actually. Only an idiot would look at that and conclude that Whitner "gets blown up in the box".

I've never seen a person improve from 0 INTs in 2 seasons to gang-busters in coverage if they played and started a bunch of games.

What does this have to do with anything? Whitner is a STRONG safety. He isn't likely to rack up huge INT numbers. Even Bob Sanders gets one-to-two INTs a year, with the exception of one year, when he got SIX. Still, his value isn't in his ability to get picks.

I have no issue with Donte not getting picks (just as Winfield's lack of picks didn't bother me), but expect that if he were given the opportunity to play a true SS position, on an attacking D, with a pass rush, he would get his share (SS share) of pick opportunities.

Pretty obvious, actually. Only an idiot would look at that and conclude that Whitner "gets blown up in the box".

And someone who never played a down in his life would look at that film and not realize that it was terrible tackling technique. I wonder if Donte was asked the question, "what happened on that play?" I bet he wouldn't use injury as an excuse.

And someone who never played a down in his life would look at that film and not realize that it was terrible tackling technique. I wonder if Donte was asked the question, "what happened on that play?" I bet he wouldn't use injury as an excuse.

OK, let's give you that one, for a moment. So, on the basis of ONE play, with an injured shoulder, Whitner had poor technique and got badly injured by a helmet to the shoulder. That's your evidence for the sweeping statement that he is soft in the box? Are you freaking serious? Have you never seen great LBs get blown up by backs, occasionally? Have you never seen an outstanding player make a mistake in technique, or be out of position? To conclude that Whitner is soft in the box and/or gets blown up there, you'd better come with a body of evidence. That's what i call a fluke play.

What does this have to do with anything? Whitner is a STRONG safety. He isn't likely to rack up huge INT numbers. Even Bob Sanders gets one-to-two INTs a year, with the exception of one year, when he got SIX. Still, his value isn't in his ability to get picks.

I have no issue with Donte not getting picks (just as Winfield's lack of picks didn't bother me), but expect that if he were given the opportunity to play a true SS position, on an attacking D, with a pass rush, he would get his share (SS share) of pick opportunities.

The nuances of this game escape a lot of people.

Take a look at Polamalu. Notice how he was very quiet during the super bowl? That's because Pittsburgh couldn't afford to have him running around and free-lancing like he does all season. His responsibility was to stay and guard the deep half and prevent arizona from hitting the big play. This is in stark contrast to the season where he's allowed to roam free and ballhawk.

Donte has never been given this freedom. He's expected to stay back deep with specific assignments. Notice how he was playing very well in the beginning of the season when our defensive strategy was more explosive and attacking. Once we went into a conservative shell, his impact went down because he was responsible for staying 35 yards off the LOS.

But, like i said, the nuances of this game escape a lot of people, including the majority in this thread.

If you think Donte Whitner makes that tackle with a shoulder that's 100 percent, your crazy. He got trucked on that play and goes down just as hard either way. I don't know how you can make a guess as to what kind of pain he was in either. Given the injury report and the nature of the play, I'm going to assume it hurt something fierce. Players get blown up all the time. I'm sure he's been hit like that many times. I don't think the level of embarassment in the pros is anywhere near the level of what the fans think. He took on a runner with a full head of steam and didn't get low enough. Boom! No big deal.

OK, let's give you that one, for a moment. So, on the basis of ONE play, with an injured shoulder, Whitner had poor technique and got badly injured by a helmet to the shoulder. That's your evidence for the sweeping statement that he is soft in the box? Are you freaking serious? Have you never seen great LBs get blown up by backs, occasionally? Have you never seen an outstanding player make a mistake in technique, or be out of position? To conclude that Whitner is soft in the box and/or gets blown up there, you'd better come with a body of evidence. That's what i call a fluke play.

Truthfully you are right and wrong. Great players get hammered like that all the time. If you watch someone on every snap of a game, you will see them get hit over and over again. Even when it's heads up with another player. These guys aren't completely superior on every play. Anyone who has played football knows it's no big deal, get up and get in the huddle. It's not really a fluke play.

I totally agree with you on this Dean...

Whitner is actually considered one of the better hitting safeties in the league. One play doesnt erase that. Ray Lewis has been run over, does that make him weak in the box. It happens...just like in basketball where even the best shot blockers get caught out of position and dunked on...it happens.

Your other post about INT's was also good...

The nuances of this game escape a lot of people.

Take a look at Polamalu. Notice how he was very quiet during the super bowl? That's because Pittsburgh couldn't afford to have him running around and free-lancing like he does all season. His responsibility was to stay and guard the deep half and prevent arizona from hitting the big play. This is in stark contrast to the season where he's allowed to roam free and ballhawk.

Donte has never been given this freedom. He's expected to stay back deep with specific assignments. Notice how he was playing very well in the beginning of the season when our defensive strategy was more explosive and attacking. Once we went into a conservative shell, his impact went down because he was responsible for staying 35 yards off the LOS.

But, like i said, the nuances of this game escape a lot of people, including the majority in this thread.

But not you, Thank GOD

To conclude that Whitner is soft in the box and/or gets blown up there, you'd better come with a body of evidence. That's what i call a fluke play.

I wouldn't necessarily draw a sweeping conclusion from that ONE play.

But I will say that it's a play that Whitner should reasonably make. For all the finger-pointing directed at the coaching staff, this is a situation in which the coaching staff drew up the play perfectly. They had their first round safety and team leader in a position to stop the running back for a loss and he screwed it up.

Would you agree that there is no excuse for exercising poor technique in that situation? From my vantage point, Bryan Scott has consistently made those plays when in the position to do so. Whitner hasn't been as consistent. That's a problem that needs to be addressed.