What Do You Think The New CBA Agreement Will Be?

Steely Dan

I think a few things will come out of the new CBA.

1. A rookie slotting system for draft pick salaries.

This is something the verteran players want a lot I believe. Guys like Terrance McGee have to seeth when they see McKelvin walk into camp, never having played a single down in the NFL, and know the guy is making more than you. So, IMO, 90% of the players will be for it. It will also make trading up into the top 10 a lot more popular. The union has said they won't go for it but that's just posturing IMO.

2. I don't think there will be a big, if any, increase in the %age of money for the salary cap. I expect the union to focus a lot more on guaranteed monies in the contracts. The union will push for a higher % but will be willing to back off for more guarantees on the contracts.

3. I think the length of new rookie contracts will be lessened.

4. The owners will probably have to donate a higher amount of money every year to a fund for retired players.

5. The owners will want a way to get out of Michael Vick type situations without the big financial penalty. Will the union go for it? Probably not.

Those are things I can think of right now.

BTW, I know it will be a new CBA agreement. :wallbash:

Figured I'd beat the smartasses to it. :lol:

I think a few things will come out of the new CBA.

1. A rookie slotting system for draft pick salaries.

This is something the verteran players want a lot I believe. Guys like Terrance McGee have to seeth when they see McKelvin walk into camp, never having played a single down in the NFL, and know the guy is making more than you. So, IMO, 90% of the players will be for it. It will also make trading up into the top 10 a lot more popular. The union has said they won't go for it but that's just posturing IMO.

2. I don't think there will be a big, if any, increase in the %age of money for the salary cap. I expect the union to focus a lot more on guaranteed monies in the contracts. The union will push for a higher % but will be willing to back off for more guarantees on the contracts.

3. I think the length of new rookie contracts will be lessened.

4. The owners will probably have to donate a higher amount of money every year to a fund for retired players.

5. The owners will want a way to get out of Michael Vick type situations without the big financial penalty. Will the union go for it? Probably not.

Those are things I can think of right now.

BTW, I know it will be a new CBA agreement. :wallbash:

Figured I'd beat the smartasses to it. :lol:

#2 is THE key to the new CBA. There is no way the owners agree to give a higher percentage to the players (59.5% of total revenue) than what they're giving now, and they'll be looking to drastically cut that percentage, probably looking to give a higher percentage (compared to the previous CBA) of shared revenue, that still comes in lower than what they're getting now. But thanks to their stupidity in giving-away the farm because they were under a deadline, they'll have a tough fight on their hands now that the players have tasted that much money.

#2 is THE key to the new CBA. There is no way the owners agree to give a higher percentage to the players (59.5% of total revenue) than what they're giving now, and they'll be looking to drastically cut that percentage, probably looking to give a higher percentage (compared to the previous CBA) of shared revenue, that still comes in lower than what they're getting now. But thanks to their stupidity in giving-away the farm because they were under a deadline, they'll have a tough fight on their hands now that the players have tasted that much money.

This article about the 2006 agreement and Ralph Wilson is pretty funny. Who's laughing now?

I agree that #2 is key but I think the union and owners need to jump on the negotiations now! this is going to be a long dragged out process. The owners might get an extra franchise tag out of this if they have to agree to a higher %age.

This answers some questions.

The union claims there has been plenty of growth and the owners had no reason to opt out of the collective bargaining agreement that was supposed to run through 2012, but now will end after 2010. On Thursday, a union-commissioned study showed the average value of franchises has grown from $288 million to $1.04 billion during the past decade, and that teams averaged a $24.7 million profit in the last year -- even as the economy took a turn for the worse.

Goodell disputed those numbers and defended the owners' decision to opt out of the CBA, which assures players about 60 percent of the applicable revenues. If a new deal is not reached after the upcoming season, the following year would be played without a cap. The union says if the salary cap disappears, it won't accept one later.

Phone messages seeking comment from NFLPA acting executive director Richard Berthelsen were not immediately returned.

This answers some questions.

The union claims there has been plenty of growth and the owners had no reason to opt out of the collective bargaining agreement that was supposed to run through 2012, but now will end after 2010. On Thursday, a union-commissioned study showed the average value of franchises has grown from $288 million to $1.04 billion during the past decade, and that teams averaged a $24.7 million profit in the last year -- even as the economy took a turn for the worse.

Goodell disputed those numbers and defended the owners' decision to opt out of the CBA, which assures players about 60 percent of the applicable revenues. If a new deal is not reached after the upcoming season, the following year would be played without a cap. The union says if the salary cap disappears, it won't accept one later.

Phone messages seeking comment from NFLPA acting executive director Richard Berthelsen were not immediately returned.

Ralph Wilson is as stupid as a fox. The players get to much especially when you think relative to profitability NFL franchise values are very high. The owners would be smart to think about whether the players have leverage or the owners do. I think the owners run the show.

Ralph Wilson is as stupid as a fox. The players get to much especially when you think relative to profitability NFL franchise values are very high. The owners would be smart to think about whether the players have leverage or the owners do. I think the owners run the show.

Since the owners are all billionaires I'm sure they can hold out a lot longer than the players. JMO

Since the owners are all billionaires I'm sure they can hold out a lot longer than the players. JMO

You have to somehow factor in the cities and counties that floated public debt so that those billionaires have cheap places of business, for the enjoyment of a minority of the citizenry...

This article about the 2006 agreement and Ralph Wilson is pretty funny. Who's laughing now?

I agree that #2 is key but I think the union and owners need to jump on the negotiations now! this is going to be a long dragged out process. The owners might get an extra franchise tag out of this if they have to agree to a higher %age.

I think what you'll see is the owners doing to the players what happened to them back in 2006 (although it was of their own doing since they waited so long). They'll stall negotiations until the last possible second, expecting the players to start to get scared that they they won't be hitting FA (since they'll need 6 years in the league instead of 4 and since there will be 3 tags to keep them).

There are a lot of issues to be discussed. But my big issue is the rookies. I am so sick of the holdouts and the absurd contracts these unprovens get. They haven't done squat and most of them bust anyway. It's like winning the lottery for some of them and it's not right. It pisses of veterans and it takes away from the money/contracts that should be goiing to the established players who are known commodities.

The NFL needs to copy the NBA and have pre-determined salaries for each and every draft pick. No more fuss, no more holdouts, no more complaints.

Frankly, I don't see how this won't come to fruition: I'm sure the owners would rather not pay these exorborant sums to rookies; and I'm sure the NFLPA would rather see their guys get more money than these college guys.

Also, it is absolute b.s. that the Super Bowl is only played in hot weather or domes. Play a game outisde, further north, who cares if it's cold you panzies. Stop sugar-coating it for girls. If most people can live their lives in the cold why can't they play one football game in it.

I mean, c'mon, it's cold today here in southern Ontario, but guess what? I won't die if I go outside.

There are a lot of issues to be discussed. But my big issue is the rookies. I am so sick of the holdouts and the absurd contracts these unprovens get. They haven't done squat and most of them bust anyway. It's like winning the lottery for some of them and it's not right. It pisses of veterans and it takes away from the money/contracts that should be goiing to the established players who are known commodities.

The NFL needs to copy the NBA and have pre-determined salaries for each and every draft pick. No more fuss, no more holdouts, no more complaints.

Frankly, I don't see how this won't come to fruition: I'm sure the owners would rather not pay these exorborant sums to rookies; and I'm sure the NFLPA would rather see their guys get more money than these college guys.

TOO bad the union is run by the big agents and they will fight tooth and nail to keep those big rookie salaries (and big commissions) which drive up salaries for everyone else.

the issues the players should be concerned about should include things that impact their health, like equipment advances, concussion after-effects, retirement funding, consistent use or non-use of HGH & performance enhancing drugs. either ban them and enforce it with blood tests or use them under team guidance - now the playing field is not level.

We as Bills fans need to pray to God that they get a new CBA before the 2010 season. The NFLPA has said that if they don't and 2010 is an uncapped year, that they will never agree to a cap again. This would spell the end of small market franchises and severely limit our ability to compete. Jones would turn the Cowboys into the NFL's version of MLB's Yankees.

We as Bills fans need to pray to God that they get a new CBA before the 2010 season. The NFLPA has said that if they don't and 2010 is an uncapped year, that they will never agree to a cap again. This would spell the end of small market franchises and severely limit our ability to compete. Jones would turn the Cowboys into the NFL's version of MLB's Yankees.

Sorry, don't mean to be a doom & gloomer, but...There will not be a CBA before the uncapped year. A new CBA will not be reached until there is a lockout, perhaps a long one. The owners feel like they caved on the current deal (they did) & they aren't gonna let that happen again.

I don't think the players want an uncapped year. The most important thing that will happen is you will need 6 years to become an UFA. Since the average career is under 5 years , most players will not get the big payday they look for. If you keep a player for his 1st 6 years you are getting his best. I just don't see it happening. Also, the cap is so high right now that most teams are well under. I don't see much changing with an uncapped year. The big spenders will continue to spend but I doubt you will see payrolls of $150m-$200M like baseball.

Also, each team will have 3 tags to keep players (1 franchise and 2 transition) and the top-8 teams can only sign as many players as they lost, for no more than they signed elsewhere. It's far from the bonanza players thought it would be. Plus I believe their pensions vanish.

Sorry, don't mean to be a doom & gloomer, but...There will not be a CBA before the uncapped year. A new CBA will not be reached until there is a lockout, perhaps a long one. The owners feel like they caved on the current deal (they did) & they aren't gonna let that happen again.

I hope your wrong. From what I've read both the owners and players don't want a lockout. And they won't let it happen, the NFL is too profitable.

NFPLA

1. How much did each team make? Give it to us!

2. No rookie slots

3. No cap

4. No draft

5. No teams without domes

6. No playing in cold, humid, or hot weather

7. No playing in places without an exciting nightlife.

You forgot "No drug testing"