what would you do?

I was stopped twice by local cops while walking home from last month, just a few blocks from my house. It's about a 20 minute walk back to my neighborhood from where a few of us like to meet for dinner or drinks. Sometimes I catch a ride, but never drink and drive. I've never had any trouble from anyone around here except the police. Neither time was I given any explanation as to why I was detained or what they were looking for. Just an attitude as these twenty something year-olds with guns searched every cranny, my wallet and asked insulting stupid questions. After the second time I wrote a letter, one I had to rewrite several times to get the anger out of it. I got a response from the Commander who said he would look into it. When he got back to me, he explained that I had been cooperative, but because it was 3 AM it was the officers' opinion that I was looking for companionship (prostitutes). I said geesh..I just left my girlfriend at the bar and if I had wanted.......WHAT? HIS REPORT SAYS 3 AM???? Bull. 10 or 10:30, maybe. And the first time was 8 or 8:30.

So to justify what these punks did, they lied about the time. My question us, do I file an official complaint which would make them go back and look at the tapes to see what time it really was? Or do I drop it Do I clear this up, and any question as to what I was doing in my own neighborhood and what time it was, and get some jerk a reprimand, or except the Commander's explanation that everything is cool. I've only lived here six months, on and off. It's a very nice fairly quiet and peaceful seaside town. I like everything else about it. The barflies here are awesome. Companionship. Good grief. If I want companionship, I already know the price. One shot of jaegar and a beer.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stopped twice by local cops while walking home from last month, just a few blocks from my house. It's about a 20 minute walk back to my neighborhood from where a few of us like to meet for dinner or drinks. Sometimes I catch a ride, but never drink and drive. I've never had any trouble from anyone around here except the police. Neither time was I given any explanation as to why I was detained or what they were looking for. Just an attitude as these twenty something year-olds with guns searched every cranny, my wallet and asked insulting stupid questions. After the second time I wrote a letter, one I had to rewrite several times to get the anger out of it. I got a response from the Commander who said he would look into it. When he got back to me, he explained that I had been cooperative, but because it was 3 AM it was the officers' opinion that I was looking for companionship (prostitutes). I said geesh..I just left my girlfriend at the bar and if I had wanted.......WHAT? HIS REPORT SAYS 3 AM???? Bull. 10 or 10:30, maybe. And the first time was 8 or 8:30.

So to justify what these punks did, they lied about the time. My question us, do I file an official complaint which would make them go back and look at the tapes to see what time it really was? Or do I drop it Do I clear this up, and any question as to what I was doing in my own neighborhood and what time it was, and get some jerk a reprimand, or except the Commander's explanation that everything is cool. I've only lived here six months, on and off. It's a very nice fairly quiet and peaceful seaside town. I like everything else about it. The barflies here are awesome. Companionship. Good grief. If I want companionship, I already know the price. One shot of jaegar and a beer.

Were is this?

I'd start wearing a ski mask and carrying a machete.

I'd drop it. Just move on.

Start taking a cab, and be thankful that you have cops that are making sure the area is safe from johns and druggies.

You don't understand. I like to walk. There are sidewalks all the way. This a nice area. If I called a cab one of my friends would jump up and offer a ride, which would defeat the purpose. I like to walk. It's safe here. I suspect this must be a starter city for new cops, before they move on to a city where there is real crime.

How do you know he isn't an asian walking in a black neighborhood?

Seems pretty racist of you to assume that.

Could have been, but it's doubtful the cops would have stopped him twice then. He could be a 90-yr old granny too.

You don't understand. I like to walk. There are sidewalks all the way. This a nice area. If I called a cab one of my friends would jump up and offer a ride, which would defeat the purpose. I like to walk. It's safe here. I suspect this must be a starter city for new cops, before they move on to a city where there is real crime.

If they lied about the time to justify over-policing, then I think it's our right/responsibility to file a formal complaint. That's baloney.

I would consider dropping it. If they do it again, write a politician so that some young staffer wanting to make a name for him or herself gets on your side, but be ready for the media attention. Otherwise, I betting they got the message.

On Capitol Hill, I got harrassed a couple of times for carrying my camera by the young 'uns. I showed my ID and they still treated me disrespectfully. I knew their supervisors and said something to their bosses. Next thing I knew the guys were both moved to posts inside with more senior policemen. I didn't mind being stopped, but being harrassed was a bit much, especially because it was my job to take photos of the Capitol. So despite the cover their backside response, I guarantee your message got sent. If it happens again, send a copy of the original letter to your state rep or congressman or mayor and and get their badge numbers and maybe carry a little camera with you. The time stamp on it will enable you to further document the incident.

That being said, I doubt you will be stopped again... and if you see the officers, make nice with them, chat it up, ask how their wife and kids are doing.... yada yada yada.

I would consider dropping it. If they do it again, write a politician so that some young staffer wanting to make a name for him or herself gets on your side, but be ready for the media attention. Otherwise, I betting they got the message.

On Capitol Hill, I got harrassed a couple of times for carrying my camera by the young 'uns. I showed my ID and they still treated me disrespectfully. I knew their supervisors and said something to their bosses. Next thing I knew the guys were both moved to posts inside with more senior policemen. I didn't mind being stopped, but being harrassed was a bit much, especially because it was my job to take photos of the Capitol. So despite the cover their backside response, I guarantee your message got sent. If it happens again, send a copy of the original letter to your state rep or congressman or mayor and and get their badge numbers and maybe carry a little camera with you. The time stamp on it will enable you to further document the incident.

That being said, I doubt you will be stopped again... and if you see the officers, make nice with them, chat it up, ask how their wife and kids are doing.... yada yada yada.

Probably the best recommendation yet. The Commander did say that if it happens again, tell them I had talked with their Commander, and he said to ask if they are taping this conversation They are supposed to be. Then no matter what they answer, ask them if I am being detained on suspicion of illegal activity. When they say no, tell them have a good night.

Thanks to all on the input.