what would you do?

Who do you respect more, police officers or women?

What I find funny, is the people who say they have so much respect for cops. The friends that I have that are deputies, troopers, etc... think the term cop is disrespectful and prefer to be called what they are, or police officer if unsure.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Women, both because they can giveth and taketh away and because they are much more dangerous. They have more weapons at their disposal and I am convinced are educated at five years old in the basement of the CIA on how to deal with men.....

There are exceptions to the rule, Palin and Kennedy, but most have figured us men out too well. Those two must have slept through class. :blink:

Actually, loitering is against the law in Florida.

856.021 Loitering

(1) It is unlawful for any person to loiter or prowl in a place, at a time or in a manner not usual for law-abiding individuals, under circumstances that warrant a justifiable and reasonable alarm or immediate concern for the safety of persons or property in the vicinity.

(2) Among the circumstances which may be considered in determining whether such alarm or immediate concern is warranted is the fact that the person takes flight upon appearance of a law enforcement officer, refuses to identify himself or herself, or manifestly endeavors to conceal himself or herself or any object. Unless flight by the person or other circumstance makes it impracticable, a law enforcement officer shall, prior to any arrest for an offense under this section, afford the person an opportunity to dispel any alarm or immediate concern which would otherwise be warranted by requesting the person to identify himself or herself and explain his or her presence and conduct. No person shall be convicted of an offense under this section if the law enforcement officer did not comply with this procedure or if it appears at trial that the explanation given by the person is true and, if believed by the officer at the time, would have dispelled the alarm or immediate concern.

(3) Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Now find a law in Florida that bans walking from one place to another, and maybe you're on to something. :blink:

Every individual one at a time. Some deserve respect. Some absolutely do not. Some have yet to earn it. Some never will. Who was really the one treated with extraordinary disrespect those evenings? It was absurd for them to think I was looking for sex on the street while walking home at a brisk pace. Everyone deserves a basic level of respect until proven otherwise. When you are given authority and abuse it, and cover it up, you lose respect and excuses don't make up the difference overnight.

Every individual one at a time. Some deserve respect. Some absolutely do not. Some have yet to earn it. Some never will. Who was really the one treated with extraordinary disrespect those evenings? It was absurd for them to think I was looking for sex on the street while walking home at a brisk pace. Everyone deserves a basic level of respect until proven otherwise. When you are given authority and abuse it, and cover it up, you lose respect and excuses don't make up the difference overnight.

Amen!

What I find funny, is the people who say they have so much respect for cops. The friends that I have that are deputies, troopers, etc... think the term cop is disrespectful and prefer to be called what they are, or police officer if unsure.

Scenarios such as this are funny.

The guy can 'get" all the women he wants for a shot and a beer. He even calls them names. Then, with all of these women at his disposal (I suppose there are reasons for this), he decides to walk through a prostitution prone (and what else goes with it) area.

Now, while on this innocent saunter, he is stopped for absolutely no reason. This must be true. How could a guy who openly holds women in such high regard even consider patronizing a prostitute? I mean, he said he can have all that he wants, right? He is now officially a victim, and a burned out hippie or 2 will sing with him a duet of woe.

Now for reality: The police brass were probably getting complaints from community residents about the prostitution condition, and the problems (such as pimps, perverts, rape, drugs, dwi, robbery and murder) that come with it. It is hard for many limosine liberals to understand this, but black people want the same things for their communities as whites. They are also smart enough to see that for some reason, there are few street prosts in predominantly white communities. What to do? They seek police assistance as well they should.

If the OP is emotionally wounded enough from this oh so great trauma, he should file a complaint. I know a police officer who used to carry cards from Internal Affairs and the Civilian Complaint Review Board and actually pass them out when "threatened" with complaints from innocent wounded souls.

In this instance, the police officer in question will probably be praised for following orders.

Again, thanks to those of you that gave sincere thoughtful insight and advice. It was helpful.

PPP didn't disappoint. A smattering of useful information mixed with acid and clown responses. But just enough good stuff to make it worth it. Kinda like sticking your hand in a toilet to get a quarter.

Feel better? Good. :blink:

Now, watch out for those "barflies." You are much better than them, right?

Now for reality: The police brass were probably getting complaints from community residents about the prostitution condition, and the problems (such as pimps, perverts, rape, drugs, dwi, robbery and murder) that come with it. It is hard for many limosine liberals to understand this, but black people want the same things for their communities as whites. They are also smart enough to see that for some reason, there are few street prosts in predominantly white communities. What to do? They seek police assistance as well they should.

You need to bone up on the concept of "probable cause" my friend.

He is now officially a victim, and a burned out hippie or 2 will sing with him a duet of woe.

Best PPP line ever. :blink::D:worthy:

I'm not a cop, but from what I've read (at least about NYC), this is part of the strategy for combating street crime; stopping shady looking characters in high risk areas. Are a lot of the 'shady looking' people in fact not shady at all? Sure. But is it effective in making the criminal element feel under siege in that area and thus helping to reduce the crime rate as the local residents have a right to expect? Apparently.

I know many police officers, and they all refer to themselves as "Cops". Maybe it's one of those "we can call ourselves that, but you can't" sort of thing. :blink:

Seriously, the only time I have ever seen a police officer act offended by someone calling them a "cop", is when they were trying to intimidate someone.

But, while I never consider "cop" offensive, if police officers are truly offended by that term, then I have no problem striking that term from my vocabulary.

Backpack? Dude, I was at dinner, not camping. Clothes? They frisked me and searched my wallet. What's that about? Are there not illegal search and seizure laws? I said OK sure, I've got nothing to hide. It was weird, irritating and humiliating, especially the second time. Different cops I think. Not sure; there were two the first timem four of five the second time. It was still cold in early January. Probably wearing jeans and one of my polo shirts and my black leather coat (Seventh Avenue). There are quite a few churches in this town. I believe there is one under construction several blocks down from where I was stopped the first time. Both times I asked what's up. I tried to be friendly. I was treated like dirt. And they lied on their reports about the time. Explain that. That's really my big question at this point. I was satisfied with what the Commander said except for that. Why change the time? I can't believe this is professional police work. Maybe I should bounce this off some of my cousins or uncles who have worked in law enforcement. These cops were all very young. It takes me twenty to twenty five minutes to walk from "the grill" to my front door at a steady pace. I was not arrested, just harassed and talked to with attitude and disrespect. Part of the area is our black part of town. I get the feeling they do what they want and get away with it.

A) You must not fly very often, because you'd really have a hissy fit about the airport

B) You keep complaining about the police report.....there wouldn't BE a police report if you didn't go into a tizzy about getting checked out at what pretty much amounts to a police checkpoint. Would you freak out if you came to an intersection in your car and 5 cop cars were there for a DWI checkpoint? Would you complain to the chief that your rights were violated because the cop shined a flashlight into your car, wanted to see ID, and asked if you had been drinking? I mean...what a stupid question.....drinking? How dare he.......he should know that I was coming home from work from my closing shift at Bed Bath and Beyond....the nerve of those pigs. Well.....if there were 5 cops on a beat, there are problems in that area and they were going to check it out.

C) Your clothes speak volumes. Preppy boy in polo shirt and leather jacket walking alone in crap neighborhood could very well ring alarm bells that you are looking to score some drugs. You see....a crack addict that lives on the streets is no good to the system to bring in. He is just going to tie up money and manpower from the city. You have to house him...feed him....get a lawyer for him....who needs that crap for a guy down on his luck having a little poke? But here we have a young 20 something all prepped up and out of place. What you are wearing says you have money, and if you have money you probably have a job and/or a reputation to protect...and you are willing to go to court with your own lawyer, get the cops some court time, and be willing to plea down a minor possesion count to a slap on the wrist and a tasty fine.

I hate an abuse of power as much as the next guy, but maybe the fact that there were 5 cops working the same area at freaking 8 oclock as you say it was....might be a sign that you should invest in a $5 cab ride when coming home. Just the fact that you started this topic with such outrage is reason enough to believe the police picked up on your vile for them in the first place and may have asked a few more questions for the heck of it.

But, I must admit I'm confused by your interest in his proximity to a church. What's with that?

Churches are often loud voices in the black community and as a rule, they are not thrilled by prostitution. Also, many non-religious civic meetings are held in churches, and I am quite sure that there are a host of valid historical reasons for this.

What many white liberals really don't get is that at these meetings, residents are more concerned with their children and grandchildren being forced to share the streets with prostitutes and other criminals than they are with the rights of white people with hurt feelings and an abstract scenario or 2. They take these complaints to the local police, and demand well deserved action.