OT: Kentucky High School Coach Arrested on Reckless Homicide Charges

Peevo

If you guys haven't seen or heard about this really sad story, check a link here.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481645,00.html

It was apparently a really hot August day in Kentucky, and the coaches have been reported at this practice to be "running the kids till they drop." (that is not in the article, Howard Simon alleged this on the air in an interview yesterday) A student athlete on the team collapsed after reportedly requesting water and was repeatedly denied receiving it. His core temperature was 107 degrees. He died in the hospital 3 days later.

The local town is all up in arms over the coaches arrest, and has shown, of course, an outpouring of support for this guy. Yeah, I know, its football in the south. They take it really, really, really seriously. Sure. But these are kids, students more importantly, first. In fact, any level before you receive a paycheck to practice, you are a student first. The school board and other governing bodies MUST have oversight on something like this. You can't just grind kids into the ground in sweltering heat in full pads and knowlingly deny them hydration. That's dangerous, irresponsible, and no one in their right mind can claim otherwise.

The reckless homicide charges dictate responsibility, but not mailicious intent. Of course, this man is a coach, not a murderer, and wouldn't deliberately want to kill or physically endanger his athletes. But one MUST maintain responsibility in working these kids out to, quite literally, they drop dead. I understand football is a tough, tough sport. And requires every bit of mental toughness. But one can stress mental strength without punishment. I'm sure there'll be "football is a man's game" responses to this post. But that's missing the point. Ultimately, when dealing with non-professional student althetes, the authority figures and structures in place have to shoulder the blame in this kid's sad passing. Simple oversight and regulation stops this from happening and prevents another kid from working himself into the grave, just to spare insults from his teammates for "being a (insert 5 letter word that rhymes with wussy)."

If you guys haven't seen or heard about this really sad story, check a link here.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481645,00.html

It was apparently a really hot August day in Kentucky, and the coaches have been reported at this practice to be "running the kids till they drop." (that is not in the article, Howard Simon alleged this on the air in an interview yesterday) A student athlete on the team collapsed after reportedly requesting water and was repeatedly denied receiving it. His core temperature was 107 degrees. He died in the hospital 3 days later.

The local town is all up in arms over the coaches arrest, and has shown, of course, an outpouring of support for this guy. Yeah, I know, its football in the south. They take it really, really, really seriously. Sure. But these are kids, students more importantly, first. In fact, any level before you receive a paycheck to practice, you are a student first. The school board and other governing bodies MUST have oversight on something like this. You can't just grind kids into the ground in sweltering heat in full pads and knowlingly deny them hydration. That's dangerous, irresponsible, and no one in their right mind can claim otherwise.

The reckless homicide charges dictate responsibility, but not mailicious intent. Of course, this man is a coach, not a murderer, and wouldn't deliberately want to kill or physically endanger his athletes. But one MUST maintain responsibility in working these kids out to, quite literally, they drop dead. I understand football is a tough, tough sport. And requires every bit of mental toughness. But one can stress mental strength without punishment. I'm sure there'll be "football is a man's game" responses to this post. But that's missing the point. Ultimately, when dealing with non-professional student althetes, the authority figures and structures in place have to shoulder the blame in this kid's sad passing. Simple oversight and regulation stops this from happening and prevents another kid from working himself into the grave, just to spare insults from his teammates for "being a (insert 5 letter word that rhymes with wussy)."

He gets what he deserves. Depriving a HS kid of water is absurd.

when I played in high school they limited water, which never made a lot of sense...even then (mid 1960's). The banjo should be charged if he actually denied water and did not secure appropriate medical attention. The school district and he had better be giving a long look at their insurance policies.

He gets what he deserves. Depriving a HS kid of water is absurd.

Agreed. The fact that thousands of other over-zealous idiots have gotten away with the same behavior is no reason to not make an example of this guy and put an end to this lunacy once and for all.

As the prosecutor said, this isn't about football. It's about an adult who was responsible for the safety and well being of children.

Agreed. The fact that thousands of other over-zealous idiots have gotten away with the same behavior is no reason to not make an example of this guy and put an end to this lunacy once and for all.

As the prosecutor said, this isn't about football. It's about an adult who was responsible for the safety and well being of children.

This is so weird to me. Our coaches encouraged us to drink plenty of fluids, especially in South Fla in the summer. Running your team to that point just makes them more and more tired. Good coaches don't do that.

he should be held accountable

Put the !@#$ in jail where he belongs. Denying kids water doesn't make them better football players. If i was that kids father, the coach wouldn't stand a chance outside of jail, I'd maybe drown him for revenge.

Put the !@#$ in jail where he belongs. Denying kids water doesn't make them better football players. If i was that kids father, the coach wouldn't stand a chance outside of jail, I'd maybe drown him for revenge.

I agree, if it were my son, the coach would be safest in jail.