peters

georg793

Most of these comments are valid one way or another. But, remember everyone this is pro sports the overpaid/underpaid argument can go on all day long. You can argue back and forth all day that he is underpaid for a current "pro bowl" LT, but he did get a pretty sweet deal from the Bills when he was not a "pro bowl" LT.

I have worked in the pro sports industry for over 10 years, and contracts get paid according to preformance. Its unfortunate that rookies are getting these exaggerated contracts without proving anything, and guys who are "pro bowlers" with a few years experience are lagging behind on the pay scale. Remember that this guy was an undrafted free agent, who (i believe) left school early for the opportunity to make some money in the NFL. So where is he now compared to where he was 4 years ago...........making a hell of a lot of money and has the opportunity to make a lot more in the future as a solid LT. And remember, no one forced him to sign his current contract. He was probably the happiest guy around when that day came a few years ago. So, the only one he has to blame is himself or whoever his agent was at the time. I think he signed that deal before he was a FA, and if that was the case, maybe he should have waited another year so see how he progressed. But, at the time, he loved the fact that the Bills were throwing all that money at him. So, are the Bills getting a deal....... probably, is Peters underpaid.........probably, but its not the Bills fault and its not Peters fault. Its the nature of the game.......some guys get better, and some guys fade away and are never heard of again. The way for Peters to make the most money in his career is to perform well and to stay healthy. If he proves taht over the next couple years, he is sure to get paid a ridiculous amount for his services in his next contract. But until that point, he should honor what he signed in the past. Remember that Peters is bound by the contract that HE signed, if he wants to hold out and doesnt want to play.....fine......then he doesnt get paid.

But you have to admit, he doesnt exactly say the right things when he speaks. And he comes off in the wrong way as being selfish and not having the right intentions about the game. He should not be given a new deal because he had a great year in 2007, or because he could get injured and never play football again. Injury is a reality in football, its a high risk/high reward job. If he wants a new deal from the Bills, he needs to show some sort of committment to the team and the organization as a whole.........and that would start with being prepared to perform at the highest level for his job. If he was working out last off season, and was in shape and ready to play after he ended his hold out, that would be a totally different situation. But we all know that was not the case, so its hard to have sympathy for him in that regard.

If he performs at the level that he is supposed to, he will be rewarded, but if he slacks off he wont. If he is going to be a cancer around the rest of the guys on teh team who are committed to giving it their all, then give him to someone else. Im sure Dallas would like to have him, and im sure they could use more "me" guys around their team.......i mean look where it got them this year......and they gave up some good draft picks to the Lions for a very underperforming Roy Williams.......so one could only imagine what they would give up for a "pro bowl" LT ????????

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand, you like Brian Moreman, a lot, don't you?

I know you enjoy Moorman, but I bet you'd like Jason's whittle secret...

And if you don't, then go stick it up Jabari's Greer.

Looks like we've officially killed this thread which is a good thing. I've had it with all of this Jason Peters talk.

The more wise GMs realize that putting together a good team is as much about building strong relationships as anything else. They realize that it is management's responsibility to make the people feel respected, rewarded, and fairly compensated. It's not in the franchise's best interest to chisel guys down a few bucks and create an atmosphere of resentment or apathy. Peters signed a decent extension when he was a RT and before he became a free agent. He then went on to far outperform that contract and switched to LT and became one of the best LTs in the game, a guy that other LTs quickly started studying to learn proper techniques. They went out and paid Dockery and Walker far more money at the same time, and they are inferior players. They paid a failed experiment C in Melvin Fowler about the same thing. The Bills have no one to blame but themselves for their own salary structure and their refusal to rework the numbers to pay their better players fair compensation. Applaud the bean counter Bills for saving a buck or two, but there is no doubt a certain stigma that comes when a team tries to chisel players over a few bucks rather than treat players fairly. The Tom Cousineau affair happened before modern free agency, but the bungling and arrogance in that situation left a stench and a black stain on this franchise for years. Indeed, it was something that Bill Polian had to work hard to overcome.

The sad thing is that it is easily solved. Call the guy's agent and see what they want and negotiate. Negotiation and getting players on board is part of the GM's job function. Of course, the Bills don't have a real GM -- they have Ralph "Old School" Wilson pulling the strings on his circle of marionettes.

I assume it's a safe bet that everyone on this board feels they should be making more money at their current job. So someone please explain to me why Jason Peters a human being like everyone else should feel or act differently?

Oh right it's because he makes millions of dollars playing a game. I hate to break it ot people but everyone suits a purpose in this world good or bad. Some people are Janitors and others are million dollar football players who entertain you each sunday.

In my experience on this planet anyone who knocks someone who makes more money than they do is negative towards the money not the actual person. Most people would trade spaces with Jason Peters in a heart beat. Welcome to life.

The smarter GMs realize that putting together a good team is as much about building strong relationships as anything else. .

For every action there is a reaction. And signing Kelsay to the deal he received made it necessary to pay Schobel. Oh sure there was no requirement, but had Buffalo slammed the door in Schobel's face (BTW way he was a Pro Bowler at that point) it would have caused huge issues.

The Bills front office has no savvy. They don't see the curveball until it's in the catcher's glove. They're always reacting instead of taking action and they should have known that signing Kelsay would mean a new deal for Schobel, but they didn't. 74M dollars later, they had their DE's. Except both will be over 30 next season, with one just bad and the other coming back from a fairly serious injury which could take away his speed.

The folly of Marv and Dick is that they're smart. I'm sure with their degrees they've got a lot of book smarts. But when it comes to street smarts and knowing the landscape and anticipating problems, they're horrible. They proved it in FA and Draft 06, and again in FA 07. Only the 07 first three picks can save them.

Signing Dockery and Walker without thinking it would effect Peters was plain bad management. Those 49ers teams of the early eighties got good and players wanted to get paid. The players are still the same. But good front offices know their decisions will have consequences. Once again, the book smarts didn't come in handy.

The more wise GMs realize that putting together a good team is as much about building strong relationships as anything else. They realize that it is management's responsibility to make the people feel respected, rewarded, and fairly compensated. It's not in the franchise's best interest to chisel guys down a few bucks and create an atmosphere of resentment or apathy. Peters signed a decent extension when he was a RT and before he became a free agent. He then went on to far outperform that contract and switched to LT and became one of the best LTs in the game, a guy that other LTs quickly started studying to learn proper techniques. They went out and paid Dockery and Walker far more money at the same time, and they are inferior players. They paid a failed experiment C in Melvin Fowler about the same thing. The Bills have no one to blame but themselves for their own salary structure and their refusal to rework the numbers to pay their better players fair compensation. Applaud the bean counter Bills for saving a buck or two, but there is no doubt a certain stigma that comes when a team tries to chisel players over a few bucks rather than treat players fairly. The Tom Cousineau affair happened before modern free agency, but the bungling and arrogance in that situation left a stench and a black stain on this franchise for years. Indeed, it was something that Bill Polian had to work hard to overcome.

The sad thing is that it is easily solved. Call the guy's agent and see what they want and negotiate. Negotiation and getting players on board is part of the GM's job function. Of course, the Bills don't have a real GM -- they have Ralph "Old School" Wilson pulling the strings on his circle of marionettes.

Well said.

Sorry man, gotta disagree, not to bring up the character issue again, we know where that has gotten us, and I can

understand being pissed about the contract situation and all, but you do have 21 other guys that depend on you.

You are supposed to be a professional, and you have a responsibility to your teammates regardless of your

contract situation, and in MHO, he did not honor that, and effected every other man on that line, he had a ton of

un-timely penalties as well, and was probably the main reason for the line's slow start this past season.

Trade Him!

Your responsibility to your teammates doesn't mean kowtowing to ownership. I didn't like his decision, but you have a right to make it, and it is essentially a decision that is outside of football. I'm sure he thought that he could plug right back into that line. He found out that he couldn't, but I'm sure he thought he could. In 2007, he was easily the best man on the line, and surely thought he'd be able to quickly get to that standard again.

Yeah, he hurt the team, but frankly, this wasn't a good enough team to go anywhere in the playoffs anyway, even if we had had a line at full strength. He didn't keep us out of the Super Bowl.

Disliking the decision is reasonable. Feeling that he is tainted in your eyes, well, I don't go along, but I can understand it. But trading Peters would be much more harmful to the Bills future chances than anything that he did. The GM who trades Peters would do MUCH more harm to the team than Peters himself did.

Not even close.

That you, Eugene?

Well, you apparently disagree with, among others, all the people who actually have to play against him and game-plan against him. Belichick said two years ago he was the best player on our offense, and he has only gotten better. Yeah, he had a bad beginning of the year but nobody even mentioned his name in the last 5 - 6 weeks, because he did absolutely everything he was supposed to do.

If he goes to training camp, he is our best player. Or maybe I'll take your opinion over the opinion of the other NFL players and coaches and Belichick. Um, no, on second though, maybe I won't. He's our best.

He made it on reputation only, everbody, or at least the consensus on this board was SHOCKED!

Yeah, but that was only because without a training camp he didn't have a good beginning of the year. If you're a GM building a new team, Peters is among the top 20 or so players you pick out of anybody in the league. And it's not even a controversy or a question.

Well, you apparently disagree with, among others, all the people who actually have to play against him and game-plan against him. Belichick said two years ago he was the best player on our offense, and he has only gotten better. Yeah, he had a bad beginning of the year but nobody even mentioned his name in the last 5 - 6 weeks, because he did absolutely everything he was supposed to do.

If he goes to training camp, he is our best player. Or maybe I'll take your opinion over the opinion of the other NFL players and coaches and Belichick. Um, no, on second though, maybe I won't. He's our best.

I'm sorry - please clarify: I can certainly believe Belichick* saying, two years ago, that FatBoy was our best player, but did Belichick* say he has gotten better in the past two years, or is it you saying that?

Because I am inclined to believe it if Cheater* said it; your opinion, OTOH, is likely as jaded as mine.

Regarding 'no one mentioned his name in the last 5-6 weeks', well, um, yeah, they did, and quite a bit - not only 'cause he sat himself down the last 2 games, but because of plays like waving bye-bye as Abram Elam blew by him and caused the fumble that cost us the game against the Jets.

No one mentioned his name???? Pulease.....not only was he vilified here on TSW, but regarding FatBoy's 'selection' to the pro bowl...

Starters: Joe Thomas/Cleveland, Jason Peter/Buffalo. Backup: Michael Roos/Tennessee

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler and wide receiver Brandon Marshall are headed to the Pro Bowl. The least they could do is pool funds and buy [Ryan] Clady a plane ticket to travel with them.

Cutler wouldn't be having so much success throwing to Marshall without Clady protecting his back side at left tackle. Clady and Roos are the NFL's only tackles to have started every game and not allowed a full sack, according to Stats Inc. Like Thomas in 2007, Clady blossomed so quickly that Denver hasn't needed to provide blocking help with a tight end. Clady held three of the NFL's best pass rushers — Miami's Joey Porter, Atlanta's John Abraham and Carolina's Julius Peppers — without a sack. Plus, the Broncos field the NFL's fifth-best rushing offense despite injuries that have decimated the running back position.

The selections of Thomas and Roos are justified. But Peters? Please. He's living off the reputation built in prior seasons. After missing the season opener following a contract holdout, Peters allowed 8.5 sacks in the next 12 games. He then made a critical error late in last Sunday's 31-27 loss to the Jets. Peters was slow getting out of his stance to block blitzing Jets safety Abram Elam. The result was a sack-and-strip of Bills quarterback J.P. Losman, leading to Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis returning the fumble for the game-winning touchdown.

Link

Don't sweat it, you're not the only one not to admit Peters 'ain't carrying his end of the log' - but the dude has seen his best days, and also wants out of The BuffTown. No big bucks for him here, and no endorsement $$$ either, and those are the only things he cares about.

Fact of the matter is, Buffalo's front office said if Jason Peters reported to camp they would talk contract. Well he reported and they failed to hold their end of the deal. I doubt ANY negotiations took place with him. Granted his play was up and down then up again, but there is a thing called business ethnic here, Jason Peters knew he was wrong for holding out so he ended the holdout cause the front office stated they would talk contract once he reports, well they have yet to do so.....

If Peters holds out and demands a trade, then the only people to point the finger at is the front office. Blame Peters all you want, but the front office never held up their end of the deal.....bad business ethnics by Buffalo.......

Fact of the matter is, Buffalo's front office said if Jason Peters reported to camp they would talk contract. Well he reported and they failed to hold their end of the deal. I doubt ANY negotiations took place with him. Granted his play was up and down then up again, but there is a thing called business ethnic here, Jason Peters knew he was wrong for holding out so he ended the holdout cause the front office stated they would talk contract once he reports, well they have yet to do so.....

If Peters holds out and demands a trade, then the only people to point the finger at is the front office. Blame Peters all you want, but the front office never held up their end of the deal.....bad business ethnics by Buffalo.......

Is it 'ethnical' for Peters to demand more money, if he's damaged goods?

Who knows what happened between Parker Peters and the Bills F.O.? Guy showed up late, lame, and pretty much sucked, so I can't blame the Bills for letting things sit. Now, Peters is lame again, or claims he is, so should we rush a Brinks truck to his door?

Your what's wrong with people today, one word ENTITLEMENT!

You go find the job that pays you what you think your worth.

You don't go back and give 50 %, do you?

First, what are you talking about with the 50% thing? I have no idea how giving money back fits any argument whatsoever.

OK, as for the first part of your example, yeah, you find the job that pays you what you're worth. Ten you quit the minute you find a job that pays 3 times as much. That's the American way. However, football screws the player in two ways. He can't simply go to the team that pays more the way you can. And most likely your company can't fire you without paying severance and so on. If you're unionized, they have to have a good reason to fire you. NFL teams not so much. Bang, pack your locker and get out this very minute. Bye bye.

With those things in favor of management, you simply have to expect employee protests within agreed-upon guidelines. They will happen, now and on into the future. In ordinary jobs, if your company is unfair, you quit and get another job. In the NFL, there is no other job, because your team has the rights.

Entitlement is wrong? In the case of finding another job that pays three times as much.?You are flat-out lying if you say you wouldn't quit on the spot and take the second job.

Holy crap, that is you! How's it goin', Euguene? :worthy:

Please point out where in this very short, soon to be long, thread that I suggested trading Peters, moron.

Know who shouldn't play in the pro bowl? Jake Long. Guy's got a huge contract and a huge career ahead of him, so why risk the injury? Bet he shows up anyway.

Um, Jake's not injured. That sort of helps explain it.

Touche!

All good points as well, but, and you knew that there would be one, I still say, without trying to sound

too apple pieish, that in my opinion, he laid down some this year, and the contract situation was probably the reason, as I really doubt that he has lost it. If he would have sucked it up, and went out and led, nobody would have a gripe with him.

We would all be singing his praises, and me the loudest, as I do realize that he is a tremendous talent. Like I said, in another post regarding this thread, i do not like the message that it sends to teammates either, it creates cancer.

After the holdout, he should have came in with fire in his eyes, he would then be rewarded. Like other people have stated,

he was a converted tight end that the Bills had the vision to see his talents at tackle and take a chance, how much is he really owed? He performed at a high level at tackle for what one year? If not for that he might be out of the NFL.

Just old fashioned, I guess.

You think he laid down? Well, if you think so, we'll just have to disagree. Anyone laying down would make me furious, but I just didn't see that. He looked in shape when he came in, but not in "contact" shape (and it's impossible to get used to being smacked around by 300 pound guys in realistic ways without being with the team). Then he had more trouble than many (me included and I suspect him too) thought he would at fitting in and adjusting to the new calls, etc.

By the end of the season he was once again playing terrific ball.

If you thought he was laying down, I understand your anger. I just didn't see it. And apparently neither did his teammates or coaches.

What if we could package him on a draft day trade and get the DE and Center we desperatley

need? Would that work for you all?

Not unless they are proven excellent free agents. Draft picks are notoriously all possible busts.

And that would just leave us with a major weakness at the hugely important LT position.

You think he laid down? Well, if you think so, we'll just have to disagree. Anyone laying down would make me furious, but I just didn't see that. He looked in shape when he came in, but not in "contact" shape (and it's impossible to get used to being smacked around by 300 pound guys in realistic ways without being with the team). Then he had more trouble than many (me included and I suspect him too) thought he would at fitting in and adjusting to the new calls, etc.

By the end of the season he was once again playing terrific ball.

If you thought he was laying down, I understand your anger. I just didn't see it. And apparently neither did his teammates or coaches.

Playing terrific ball? :worthy:

Yeah, sure... 'specially those last 2 games where he sat out, the Jets game where he cost us a win, the first 3 or 4 games where he was slow & outa shape, etc., etc....

Again, I quote...

The selections of Thomas and Roos are justified. But Peters? Please. He's living off the reputation built in prior seasons. After missing the season opener following a contract holdout, Peters allowed 8.5 sacks in the next 12 games. He then made a critical error late in last Sunday's 31-27 loss to the Jets. Peters was slow getting out of his stance to block blitzing Jets safety Abram Elam. The result was a sack-and-strip of Bills quarterback J.P. Losman, leading to Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis returning the fumble for the game-winning touchdown.