Spencer Johnson might not be back?

RockPile007

Just read a Bills Q&A with Adam Caplan on the Bills site on Scout and he said that there is no guarantee Johnson will be back. He's due a roster bonus of $2.5 million in March.

He pretty much did what we all thought. Probably wasn't worth that big contract, but he is a solid rotational guy on the line.

You guys think the Bills should cut him if this is the case?

I thought Johnson was decent, and a bit better then I expected. Obviously he's not a starting caliber player, but then again Kyle Williams probably isn't either. In an ideal world we would find a legit dt to start next to Stroud and have Williams/Johnson be the rotational guys, giving us one of the better dt rotations we've had since Fat Pat and Big Sam, with Ron Edwards and Banan in rotation. As well as getting a defensive end. Hopefully the Bills don't create more holes, by cutting a decent player

i'd keep him until we had someone better. McCargo sure doesn't seem like he'll be back. We have enough holes to fill, imo, to keep making more.

if mcCargo is back i will know for good that there is no commitment to winning. mcBust and his mcBack need to hang out with mike williams.

He played alright. I don't see why we should worry about what he's making until it actually effects us as far as the salary cap goes. We're under the cap by more than $35 million if it goes up to $123 million as expected. Right now, we're still $25 million under the cap.

if mcCargo is back i will know for good that there is no commitment to winning. mcBust and his mcBack need to hang out with mike williams.

McCargo was looked to as a guy who could have a breakout season last year. After getting injured, he couldn't even be traded. Maybe if he returns to health he can make an impact

Just read a Bills Q&A with Adam Caplan on the Bills site on Scout and he said that there is no guarantee Johnson will be back. He's due a roster bonus of $2.5 million in March.

He pretty much did what we all thought. Probably wasn't worth that big contract, but he is a solid rotational guy on the line.

Maybe replace with him Hargrove/ or is this guy done with this franchise?

And the Bills would rather pay the 4.8 million salary cap hit they would take by releasing him? Another case of a reporter looking only at the dollar amounts and being clueless as to the inner-workings of the salary cap and a teams ramifications on it by releasing a player. The Bills amortized his signing bonus of 6 million over the length of the contract, which was 5 years, meaning it counted 1.2 million per year against the cap(total of 6 million). With him only having been here 1 year, the Bills would then accelerate his remaining signing bonus of 4.8 million by releasing him, and would effectively pay him 4.8 million dollars for not being here, then have to go out an sign an additional player to take his place and pay him whatever they were going to pay him. Really it makes no sense, but if this is the rubbish a reporter wants to believe, then I guess everyone can take it for fact...maybe you should ask him what the ramifications of releasing Johnson on the salary cap are, and when he gives you a clueless look along with a couple of "uhhh....uhhhh....uhhhh"'s, you'll know not to pay him any mind...

He played the role that was intended for him. If the FO thought he was worth the money they offered, I do not believe that his performance on the field would make them believe otherwise.

Ditto .... enough said .... too many other needs to address.., pay him and move on

And the Bills would rather pay the 4.8 million salary cap hit they would take by releasing him? Another case of a reporter looking only at the dollar amounts and being clueless as to the inner-workings of the salary cap and a teams ramifications on it by releasing a player. The Bills amortized his signing bonus of 6 million over the length of the contract, which was 5 years, meaning it counted 1.2 million per year against the cap(total of 6 million). With him only having been here 1 year, the Bills would then accelerate his remaining signing bonus of 4.8 million by releasing him, and would effectively pay him 4.8 million dollars for not being here, then have to go out an sign an additional player to take his place and pay him whatever they were going to pay him. Really it makes no sense, but if this is the rubbish a reporter wants to believe, then I guess everyone can take it for fact...maybe you should ask him what the ramifications of releasing Johnson on the salary cap are, and when he gives you a clueless look along with a couple of "uhhh....uhhhh....uhhhh"'s, you'll know not to pay him any mind...

The Bills use cash-to-the-cap. Instead of amortizing the bonus, they took the hit for the entire 6 mil last year. No penalty if he is released. That is the one major competative benefit to cash-to-the-cap, no dead cap space.

how bout 4.8 million + the salary of the player replacing him?

They'll release enough players that it eats up most of their cap room, and then claim that's why they can't spend on any quality free agents. So in effect they'll eat up virtual cap dollars without actually having to pay out the money, and have an excuse for not being aggressive in free agency.

The Bills use cash-to-the-cap. Instead of amortizing the bonus, they took the hit for the entire 6 mil last year. No penalty if he is released. That is the one major competative benefit to cash-to-the-cap, no dead cap space.

THis has come up many times before, but I'll clear it up again

Cash to the cap is an organizational strategy, but it does not affect the way signing bonuses are counted. They are amortized over the length of the contract whether the organization wants to do it or not.

"cash to the cap" is just a way for the Bills to say they don't spend real dollars in any given year over the cap. It's a self-imposed limit.

THis has come up many times before, but I'll clear it up again

Cash to the cap is an organizational strategy, but it does not affect the way signing bonuses are counted. They are amortized over the length of the contract whether the organization wants to do it or not.

"cash to the cap" is just a way for the Bills to say they don't spend real dollars in any given year over the cap. It's a self-imposed limit.

Not that I have any reason not to believe you, but I have yet to see this from a credible source. (Only posts on various message boards).

I know the NFL allows teams to amortize signing bonuses, but I have not seen a rule that forces teams to amortize the bonuses.

I am by no means an expert in the CBA, but I did not think the signing bonus language forced teams into amortization.

Roster bonuses are not amortized. A team could sign a player on April 1 and give a roster bonus of 6 mil on April 2. If a team was using cash-to-the-cap to avoid amortization, they could use roster bonuses rather than signing bonuses (if signing bonuses must be amortized).

Not that I have any reason not to believe you, but I have yet to see this from a credible source. (Only posts on various message boards).

I know the NFL allows teams to amortize signing bonuses, but I have not seen a rule that forces teams to amortize the bonuses.

I am by no means an expert in the CBA, but I did not think the signing bonus language forced teams into amortization.

Roster bonuses are not amortized. A team could sign a player on April 1 and give a roster bonus of 6 mil on April 2. If a team was using cash-to-the-cap to avoid amortization, they could use roster bonuses rather than signing bonuses (if signing bonuses must be amortized).

I don't know how credible this guy is, but he seems to know what he is talking about http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

scroll down to question 1.7e