GRUDEN FIRED!

colin

tampa was one of the worst franchises in the nfl for decades. Gruden brought them a ring and now they are cocky?

Just as the Glazers fired Tony Dungy because he didn't get the job done, they fired Gruden. They had a plan in place when Dungy was fired & I will bet they have one in place now.

Wow!

I would LOVE to see him here. Doubt Ralph would make that move after

professing his love for DJ.

He either ends up in KC or the NY Jets fairly quickly.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Bruce Allen here also, although that ain't going

to happen.

This is going to be the popular vogue thing to say this offseason..."we could have had Dungy, Cowher, Shannahan or Gruden" when it's not even remotely close to a reality that could have happened.

Neither Dungy, Cowher and Shannahan will not coach this year, so even if we fired DJ we will not have gotten either of them. I suspect Gruden will likely take a season off too.

Bottom line is that all of you "FIRE DJ" guys should be estatic we didnt fire DJ this year as 2010 is shaping to be the greatest pool of available coaches the NFL as ever seen as 4 of the winnigest coaches of all time will likely be available still and looking to coach again (Dungy, Shannahan, Cowher and Holmgren) plus other standouts now like Gruden and Marty.

There will be far fewer openings next year as they were this year given how many changes were made this year, so any of these coaches seriously wanting to come back into the league in 2010 will have to give us real consideration as we will be one of few openings if we fire DJ after this year (which we will unless he gets us in the post season) and probably an attractive spot as a team with some solid young talent.

I dont want to hear about how we could have had any of these coaches this year as that is not even close to true as they dont want to coach this next year. Well, we dont yet know how Gruden feels yet, but I suspect he takes a year off like most coaches of his caliber do, however, that is irrelevant in Ralph's decision to keep DJ anyway since Gruden just got fired today and it was somewhat of a surprise.

I just looked into my crystal ball, and this is what I saw. The Bills with Dick Jauron as coach go 11-5 and make the playoffs only to lose in the first round. RW is sooooooo impressed that he honors Coach Jauron with his extension, and in the 2010 and 2011 seasons the Bills go 1-15 and 2-14. The Bills opt not to bring Jauron back and hire a new coach for the 2012 season, then history is made on December 21, 2012 when the much anticipated apocalypse happens and civilization as we know it comes to an abrupt end. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!!

tampa was one of the worst franchises in the nfl for decades. Gruden brought them a ring and now they are cocky?

I just love some of the stuff people post on here...

You make it sound like Gruden built a Super Bowl winner and single handedly turned that franchise around...

DUNGY built that team and got it right on the cusp of being a SB champion, Gruden won the very first year with DUNGY's team and hasnt sniffed the Super Bowl since. Dungy created Tampa Bay football along with Kiffin, Gruden had NOTHING to do with that franchises turnaround, all he did was close the deal in his first year against a team he knew inside and out in Oakland that year.

Dungy was the one who turned that loser franchise into a Super Bowl contender, this is not even debateable.

This is going to be the popular vogue thing to say this offseason..."we could have had Dungy, Cowher, Shannahan or Gruden" when it's not even remotely close to a reality that could have happened.

Neither Dungy, Cowher and Shannahan will not coach this year, so even if we fired DJ we will not have gotten either of them. I suspect Gruden will likely take a season off too.

Bottom line is that all of you "FIRE DJ" guys should be estatic we didnt fire DJ this year as 2010 is shaping to be the greatest pool of available coaches the NFL as ever seen as 4 of the winnigest coaches of all time will likely be available still and looking to coach again (Dungy, Shannahan, Cowher and Holmgren) plus other standouts now like Gruden and Marty.

There will be far fewer openings next year as they were this year given how many changes were made this year, so any of these coaches seriously wanting to come back into the league in 2010 will have to give us real consideration as we will be one of few openings if we fire DJ after this year (which we will unless he gets us in the post season) and probably an attractive spot as a team with some solid young talent.

I dont want to hear about how we could have had any of these coaches this year as that is not even close to true as they dont want to coach this next year. Well, we dont yet know how Gruden feels yet, but I suspect he takes a year off like most coaches of his caliber do, however, that is irrelevant in Ralph's decision to keep DJ anyway since Gruden just got fired today and it was somewhat of a surprise.

Nice post Alphadawg but we're not going to get any of these coaches next year either. The problem is (as usual) money. The reason Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were hired is because they came cheap. Ralph actually wanted to retain Mularkey (who resigned) probably so he wouldn't have to eat too much of Mularkey's contract. Jauron is the 30th highest paid coach in the NFL.

In 2008 only Brad Childress and Lane Kiffin made less money than Jauron's $1.5 million per season. The mean average for an NFL Head Coach is over $3 million per year. IN 2008 Holmgren made $8 million, Shanahan $6 million, Dungy $5 million, and Jon Gruden $4 million.

Jauron's extension is rumored to be 3 years at $2 million/year. In order to hire any of these marquee coaches next year the Bills would have to eat the remaining two years on Jauron's contract ($4 million) and pay a coach around $4 million per year. That would be a one year hit of at least $8 million. I just cannot see Ralph, knowing him as we do, eating $8 million. Besides, since the failed Donahoe experiment, Ralph has expressed that he's against giving anyone too much power and I think the top coaches that we're discussing would want more power than Ralph would give them.

On top of that the best coaches can write their own tickets. I don't think any of these coaches would want to come to Buffalo to work for Ralph when they could go to a team with a better owner, stadium, payroll, weather, etc. In other words, a better chance to succeed and solidify their legacy.

The only way we could get a top coach, in my opinion would be to throw stupid money at him/them, that is, to outbid bigger budget teams with more attractive jobs.

Just as the Glazers fired Tony Dungy because he didn't get the job done, they fired Gruden. They had a plan in place when Dungy was fired & I will bet they have one in place now.

By the way, Gruden was 45-53 in TB in the 6 years after his SB run with DUNGY's team...yes, that is a losing record and guess what, not much different than DJ's...

I think the Jets will call Gruden. Could you imagine if Oakland brought him back!?

Who the hell would want to go back to work for Al Davis? I mean, if you're dumb enough or eager enough, I can understand doing it once. But twice? That's just masochistic (which tells us a lot about Art Shell). :unsure:

Dont believe all the hype. I am living down here in Tampa, pre Gruden and post Gruden. Gruden has been given the label of an Offensive Genius and a Great Head coach. He is neither. In his time here in Tampa, he has done nothing but detsroy all that Dungy and McKay worked hard to build. The Bucs Superbowl was inevitable with the leagues top Defense and a solid running game.

Gruden has never dveloped a young QB (in Tampa or Oakland)

Tampa's Offense has never excelled as John Gruden would have you think

Gruden has destroyed relations with popular Bucs such as:

- John Lynch

- Mike Allstot

- Warren Sapp

- Simeon Rice

- Keanan McCardell

- Keyshawn Johnson

- Brad Johnson

- Chris Simms

- Shawn King

- Brian Kelly

- Michael Clayton

- Joey Galloway

- Jeff Garcia

- Thomas Jones

- Derrick Brooks

- and others

It was only a matter of time before Gruden was Fired. The odd thing about the firing was how late it came.

I have NO INTEREST in Gruden coming to Tampa and if the Jets want him Ill start shredding the paper for the ticker tape parade. That franchised will be ruin for at least five years.

Why? Because he stockpiles QBs and can only win when someone else builds his team? Or maybe because he screams on the sidelines real well?

I'm not sure those are good traits of a head coach. He sucks, and deserved to be fired.

I just love some of the stuff people post on here...

You make it sound like Gruden built a Super Bowl winner and single handedly turned that franchise around...

DUNGY built that team and got it right on the cusp of being a SB champion, Gruden won the very first year with DUNGY's team and hasnt sniffed the Super Bowl since. Dungy created Tampa Bay football along with Kiffin, Gruden had NOTHING to do with that franchises turnaround, all he did was close the deal in his first year against a team he knew inside and out in Oakland that year.

Dungy was the one who turned that loser franchise into a Super Bowl contender, this is not even debateable.

To summarize:

02 Bucs - Dungy's team.

02 Raiders - Callahan's team.

Makes sense.

ridiculous. Tampa overachieved this year and Gruden is a coach I would love to play for. He would do wonders for Trent. Get him!

How did the overachieve? I don't get it. Gruden has plenty of name recognition. But in the end after 6 years, he did nothing after winning with Dungy's talent pool.

For a QB guru, he hasn't developed any guy. And their draft has been worse than ours. I'm glad we don't have him.

I have to agree that the 2009-10 off season seems to have a great pool of coaching talent available. I'm surprised no one has made a play for Mariucci. But I don't think Shanahan, Cowher or Mariucci will coach this year.

Plus if I think what happens here in Nashville happens, the Titans will fire Fisher next off season after choosing to go with VY and missing the playoffs. If that happens, Fisher - for my money would be the best guy available.

C

Plus if I think what happens here in Nashville happens, the Titans will fire Fisher next off season after choosing to go with VY and missing the playoffs. If that happens, Fisher - for my money would be the best guy available.

From what I've heard, Fisher wants Collins as his guy. Young will probably go on the trading block.

Sweet! Thanks for posting Senator. I loved that quote. And that really is what football is all about. I actually have a friend who's a huge Bills fan and has had Season's Tix for 16 years. We talk Bills a lot and earlier this year he said to me that he wanted use our whole draft to draft the entire Texas Tech line to come and play for us!

Clearly Leach knows a thing or two about lineman. That's why he enjoys success. His QBs can throw a lot because they have a nasty and talented line that gives the guy all day to throw.

When you have a good O-Line, any back can run well and any QB can pass. When you have a good D-Line no back can run on you and QBs are hurried, pressured and sacked. It's simple, it's basic, it's effective, and it's how you play football.

You will love this short clip -

Mike Leach & the TTU Offensive Line

How 'bout a little groundswell for bringing Leach to The BuffTown? :unsure:

I think Dungy is done with football & will focus his energy on Faith/Social matters in the future, but if he does come back I think the only team he would go to is Tampa. He was on the Radio today plugging a pre Super Bowl event & said "I consider Tampa my home town."

Considering he lives there, that much of a statement. I can see Dungy back with the Bucs some day. If not head coach, I think he would be a good front office man...

How did the overachieve? I don't get it. Gruden has plenty of name recognition. But in the end after 6 years, he did nothing after winning with Dungy's talent pool.

For a QB guru, he hasn't developed any guy. And their draft has been worse than ours. I'm glad we don't have him.

You realize neither Gruden or Dungy have ever been GM, right?

You realize neither Gruden or Dungy have ever been GM, right?

Gruden - when he first signed - was reported to have fa lot of say on personnel. Allen had final say - but there was heavy input by Gruden.

Here is the USA Today link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/s...-saraceno_x.htm

"The Glazer family handed Gruden the wheel to the Bucs' ship when they gladly permitted general manager Rich McKay — the man who rebuilt the franchise along with former coach Tony Dungy — to sail off for division rival Atlanta. No replacement has been named, but it's safe to say that it will be someone who won't challenge the coach often on personnel issues."