Poll: The gayest song that you can't turn off?

SDS

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wallbash:

Even after his acquaintances roundly dismissed Steely Dan as "kitty music," Fagen vehemently maintained that the band has contributed significantly to the rock and roll genre, and described his and Becker's unorthodox instrumentation choices and song arrangements as "bold."

"God forbid someone take a chance by having more than three chord changes in a song," Fagen said. "You can't just write it all off as 'sh------- jazz fusion' because there are a few horns in the band. And what about 'Bodhisattva' and 'Show Biz Kids' on Countdown To Ecstasy? Don't sit there and tell me that those tunes don't rock."

Though Fagen remains loyal to Steely Dan and more or less has reverence for the band's entire catalog, he said that he is the first to admit the shortcomings of the music.

"No one knows better than I do that this stuff can get extremely self-indulgent," Fagen said. "And, yes, I realize that all the preciousness and apparent awe at its own cleverness can be a little too much to stomach sometimes. Hell, some of Gaucho is even too goddamned smooth for me."

"It's no Dire Straits, I'll give you that," Fagen added.

:flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off: :flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off::flip off: