The evidence is really starting to pile up

LB or C is still a possibility in the 1st round.

C makes no sense unless they trade down or trade up for a 2nd #1.

DE seems a no-brainer - I agree with the rest (most) of you. There are a few good ones that would make sense at #11. If there are multiples at #11 they could even slide down a few picks to improve their chances for the top Center.

I do think C is at least as much of a need - I hope they find a way to get the best available - trading a lot to move back up from their 2nd round pick if necessary.

LB seems like a position to be answered in FA - which might include Crowell. Don't forget LB will look more solid with DiGi back as well, hopefully.

They'll still probably be a bit mediocre at WR/TE but I like Johnson a lot and I think Fine may be, well, "fine". Good enough to see how they both improve next year rather than panic about the position. Reed's showing steady improvement as well (when he isn't hurt).

Maybin may have the speed but is to small and will be manhandled, should have stayed another year.

Speed rushers tend to be small. A speed rusher is what we need. Denney and Kelsay are effective against the run. It's pressuring the QB where they fall down. It's often pretty easy to put 10 - 20 pounds on some of these guys at their age, and with their current diet of college meal plan food so easy to improve on. Because of these facts, it would not be that surprising to see us pick a smaller guy.

Freeney played college in the low 250s and they were worried about his size. Now he's 268. Schobel still plays at 238 and says a lot of the best in the league are about the same but lie about their weight publicly. And Schobel stops the run.

there are no sure things in the draft. Mack would be an enormous reach at 11 (a bigger reach than Pettigrew) and, at that, Mayock lists him only as the 3rd best center in the draft (for what little that is worth)

I think we will go DE unless there was a run in the top-10. If that happens we'll probably go LB - and get a guy like Maulauga, Laurinitis, or Currey if he falls to us, or less likely, a DT. I'd be shocked by anything else.

I agree completely. :thumbsup:

I agree. He needs to put on 15-25lbs more. He would have benefitted from one more year in college.

Draft Tek has an interesting view on this they rate players and give an additional notation. Is he a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 De-LB type of rusher. Some DE fit a 4-3 and some fit a 3-4 .

I think the 4-3 is the more difficult Front 7 to put together the front 4 guys are too hard to find and always get drafted in the top 10. Then they tend to get injured a lot.

Well, with Mays going back to USC, he's out.

And with Gresham going back to Oklahoma, he's out.

And with Maybin declaring, he's in.

The Bills can't go DB now, can they? The Bills can't go TE because Pettigrew is a reach, no? Of ocurse we could go ahead and grab Mack, solidifying the C position for ten years. But with one more pass rusher in the mix I think we have a great shot at a real blue chip DE. Whether it be Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, or Hardy. We should end up having our pick of at least a few of them.

It almost seems that the Bills have no choice but to address the DE position in round one.

Thoughts?

Give me Everette Brown. All day, all night. Sack machine. And the guy is smart, as well.

Speed rushers tend to be small. A speed rusher is what we need. Denney and Kelsay are effective against the run. It's pressuring the QB where they fall down. It's often pretty easy to put 10 - 20 pounds on some of these guys at their age, and with their current diet of college meal plan food so easy to improve on. Because of these facts, it would not be that surprising to see us pick a smaller guy.

Freeney played college in the low 250s and they were worried about his size. Now he's 268. Schobel still plays at 238 and says a lot of the best in the league are about the same but lie about their weight publicly. And Schobel stops the run.

Bingo. I wanted Freeney, but we weren't in the position to draft him - I think the Bills had a bigger need that year. Maybin reminds me a lot of him, but I'd still put him at the 3rd option behind Brown & Maualuga. DE is a bigger need than LB, but we'd have to take Maualuga if he's still on the board.

All of that said, who knows if Jauron & Co. are even thinking this. I'll bet everyone that the brass is probably thinking that a DE is not needed because Schobel will be back...as flawed as that is. Plus with the idiotic money tied up in Kelsay & Denney, who knows if they'd want to spend "first round" money on a DE.

When Freeny was coming out of college, there were concerns about his size, but strength was really never an issue. He had a 470 lb. bench at Cuse. We all know about Orakpo (515 in the bench), but some of these other ends probably still need a lot of weight room time. I know Florida St. has had a great strength program for a while now so Brown may already be pretty strong already ( Ramius, madcap, got any info? ) but Maybin and Johnson probably need a good year of an NFL strength and conditioning program. Although it's early, I'm hoping for Everett Brown as well.

Kelsay is the proverbial kid who got picked last to play kickball. He couldn't kick very far, couldnt run very fast, and couldn't field the ball, but he just liked to have fun out there. God I hope they find someone to replace him

While I agree 100% that Kelsay needs to be replaced, do you really believe your own statement? Do you also believe that the college national champs could beat the worst NFL team? Because they couldn't and might not even score a point. These NFL players like Kelsay are guys who dominated every level of sport they competed in to get there.

I don't think there is any evidence that anyone has a clue what the Bills are thinking about. We have no idea what their free agency plan is and that will dictate their direction in the draft.

A second legitimate DT would make our DE's instantly better but here's the challenge, we don't know when or if Schobel will return to form and Kelsay and Denney have been underwhelming. Typically your LDE is your speed rusher and your RDE is your power rusher. Sadly, neither Denney or Kelsay bring much power to the position. Perhaps the most important piece is that we're overpaying wildly for those three players.

Taking a TE with the first pick is NOT going to happen. No one takes a TE that early in the first round unless there's a "superstar" out there or you're the idiotic Jets.

We'll all be puking on draft day when the Bills pick another CB :thumbsup:

C makes no sense unless they trade down or trade up for a 2nd #1.

DE seems a no-brainer - I agree with the rest (most) of you. There are a few good ones that would make sense at #11. If there are multiples at #11 they could even slide down a few picks to improve their chances for the top Center.

I do think C is at least as much of a need - I hope they find a way to get the best available - trading a lot to move back up from their 2nd round pick if necessary.

LB seems like a position to be answered in FA - which might include Crowell. Don't forget LB will look more solid with DiGi back as well, hopefully.

That settles it. We are selecting a DB with our first pick.

I would love for one of the top 2-3 DEs in this year's draft to fall to us at 11. However, if that doesn't happen, then I do NOT believe that we can afford to reach for another DE just because he plays a position of need. This team has far too many decent-to-good players and few (if any) stud players. I would be willing to draft a player at virtually any position (except for maybe RB) if I thought he had the chance to be a true difference-maker.

The Bills can't go DB now, can they? The Bills can't go TE because Pettigrew is a reach, no? Of ocurse we could go ahead and grab Mack, solidifying the C position for ten years. But with one more pass rusher in the mix I think we have a great shot at a real blue chip DE. Whether it be Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, or Hardy. We should end up having our pick of at least a few of them.

It almost seems that the Bills have no choice but to address the DE position in round one.

Thoughts?

there certainly not going for Suggs or Peppers, Bert Berry's OK, but i don't see him coming here, Orapko, Brown or Hardy will be available; i'd say its a foregone conclusion. Good thing too, b/c with our depth at DE whoever is chosen can be worked in slowly, now we just need a TE and a C.

Thoughts?

Of course they have a choice. They can choose to trade down, draft one of the centers late in round 1 and gain an extra second or third round pick. They can choose to draft the best left tackle who is ranked around their number 11 pick, to have more leverage with Peters and his contract situation. Or maybe they address outside linebacker at number 11, since Crowell may not be back. Finally, the draft comes after free agency March 1st, so until we see what the inner circle-jerk does or does not do then, it really is hard to pin-point where the Bills will go with their first pick. :lol:

After seeing the team let go of Tripplett when he under performed. I have a feeling that kelsey is toast, either via trade or release. then they can afford to pay a top rookie DE.

With our cap room we could sign the 1st 2 picks in the draft no problem, and give Peters a raise.