WHY IS RALPH WILSON STADIUM SO BAD?

Easily the best part of your post. I couldn't agree more. It would be nice to go to a game and not have to deal w/ as many drunken idiots who supposedly are Bills fans.

We could always close the bridges from Canada on game days... :thumbsup:

I still love the sightlines in the Ralph, but the NFL game day experience has become Disneyland for the corporate box set. No matter what you do to RWS, it will always be behind the eightball by today's standards.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes seats luxury boxes? Not to sound stupid, but just what is the legal NFL description? Why can't Ralph et all start referring to all of the club seats as luxury club level seats raise the price by a few bucks and keep all of this profit away from the other owners? Hell we can put a few of those red ropes and gold poles you see at banks around the entrances and exits, have a few girls sell drinks and food to you right in your seat and bring your check at the end of the night. Who says we have to match whatever Jerry does?

That's not how it works.

Whether its club seats, luxury boxes, the enclosed club seats in the tunnel endzone... there is a ticket sold for each seat in those areas. The home team gets 60% of that take, the visiting team 40%. Its like that in every stadium. When Dallas and New York open their new stadiums, the Bills will get 40% of the club and suite TICKET prices when they play there.

The money that is untouched by visiting teams is that paid for PSL's, to buy the luxury box, etc. For example, my company has a Dugout Suite at The Ralph. They pay roughly $80k PLUS they must buy tickets for each seat in the suite. The Bills keep the $80k, and split the take on the actual tickets. That's why the Bills will never come close to Dallas or New York or Washington or New England... ticket prices are always split, but the PSL's and suite "reservation" fees are kept by the team.

That's not how it works.

Whether its club seats, luxury boxes, the enclosed club seats in the tunnel endzone... there is a ticket sold for each seat in those areas. The home team gets 60% of that take, the visiting team 40%. Its like that in every stadium. When Dallas and New York open their new stadiums, the Bills will get 40% of the club and suite TICKET prices when they play there.

The money that is untouched by visiting teams is that paid for PSL's, to buy the luxury box, etc. For example, my company has a Dugout Suite at The Ralph. They pay roughly $80k PLUS they must buy tickets for each seat in the suite. The Bills keep the $80k, and split the take on the actual tickets. That's why the Bills will never come close to Dallas or New York or Washington or New England... ticket prices are always split, but the PSL's and suite "reservation" fees are kept by the team.

Exactly correct. The reason Ralph complains is that the fees that are not shared raise the salary cap. He is not crying poor.

The Ralph is a nice stadium. However it's not about if it's a nice stadium or not, it's if it has enough luxury boxes that can sell for bookoo bucks to big shots. The owners don't have to share that revenue with the rest of the teams, so it's a gold mine for them. It's also about when a team gets (the taxpayers to buy) a new stadium, the value of the team goes way up. That's what this whole new stadium jazz is about.

I've been to:

Cotton Bowl when the Cowboys used to play there. For all I knew at the time it was fine. Of course I was only about 8 years old at the time!

Texas Stadium - Before Jerry Jones bought the team it was nice. He then started to trash it so he could get the taxpayers to build him a new stadium which they now are. Cool design. Fans are out of the elements while the game in played as it should be, in the elements.

Reliant Stadium in Houston - Nice but still, a Dome. Went down there for teh game in Blue Dredsloe's first season. Houston fans were making fun of us until we came back and won.

Super Dome before Katrina - Went there to see Doug Flutie vs. the Saints in the last game of the season. Rob Johnson started instead and the Bills whipped the Aint's. Then Rob Johnson started again the next week in Tennesse is the most bone headed decision Ralph has ever made. Anyway. Domes are wierd. They turn the lights down and shoot off fireworks. But still in the halls and stuff it's quiet. It's just wierd.

Qwest Field in Seattle - Very nice stadium. Similar design to Texas Stadium where much of the crowd (not all) is under the overhang so should it ever rain there, you can stay dry. The club is not near as good as the Ralph. The food is not near as good and it's too crowded.

Ford Field in Detroit - Went there for Super Bowl XL. Saw the Miracles play in front of the stadium before the game. Very cool. It's a dome though. You wear coats and hats and gloves because it's cold out and then you gotta stuff 'em under your seat or wear them inside. It's a dome.

The Ralph - We sit in the club seats. Very nice. The club food is great. I have sat in non club seats too. Fans are very rowdy. You ladies don't want to know what goes on in the Men's rest room at those games. DO NOT wear a visiting team jersey in there! When the team is doing well it is the most raucous stadium I've been in.

My family is a season ticket holder and i hvae had pnly good experiences with "Bills" Fans but when it come to fans of ther teams at the Ralph it is usually them that are rowdy. I had a Jets fan in front of me and he was the worst. he stood spilling beer all over swearing up a storm being a jerk to everyone around him. He also started swearin "F#CK the Bills" and just igonorant stuff. The raider fans were really bad this year also. I feel when it come to real Rowdy fans at the Ralph its fans for the opposing team. and for the mocking of opposing teams have u really ever been to any other stadium becaause that is done everywhere not just BUffalo. Do you honestly thinik we are bad cuz if you do i recommend you take a real look at all stadiums.

Guest dog14787
I mean its not a new $800M stadium in niagara falls that some in here claim we need

The Stadium is old and outdated and its going to happen sooner or later so folks might as well jump on board with the idea and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize placing the stadium near Niagara Falls is a perfect location. :thumbsup:

My family is a season ticket holder and i hvae had pnly good experiences with "Bills" Fans but when it come to fans of ther teams at the Ralph it is usually them that are rowdy. I had a Jets fan in front of me and he was the worst. he stood spilling beer all over swearing up a storm being a jerk to everyone around him. He also started swearin "F#CK the Bills" and just igonorant stuff. The raider fans were really bad this year also. I feel when it come to real Rowdy fans at the Ralph its fans for the opposing team. and for the mocking of opposing teams have u really ever been to any other stadium becaause that is done everywhere not just BUffalo. Do you honestly thinik we are bad cuz if you do i recommend you take a real look at all stadiums.

I've had season tickets in the endzone (tunnel side) for the last 5 years, and from my experience, it's more often the Bills "fans" that are the most obnoxious drunks. They're the ones who keep getting up to go to the bathroom or to the beer stand nonstop. They're the ones who are spilling beer as they try to stagger by you. They're the ones who instigate crap w/ fans of opposing teams, then look to get them thrown out by stadium security, all the while chanting "a**hole". Sometimes it's warranted (there are some real a**hole fans of other teams), but sometimes they're picking on some 7 year old kid who goes to the game w/ his mother . Real classy. This is, of course, after spending hours in the parking lot drinking to the point of stupidity, then vomiting before they enter the stadium. I see this kinda stuff nearly every time I attend a Bills home game, and from my point of view, it's usually the Bills "fans" that are the ones making a**holes of themselves.

I've had season tickets in the endzone (tunnel side) for the last 5 years, and from my experience, it's more often the Bills "fans" that are the most obnoxious drunks. They're the ones who keep getting up to go to the bathroom or to the beer stand nonstop. They're the ones who are spilling beer as they try to stagger by you. They're the ones who instigate crap w/ fans of opposing teams, then look to get them thrown out by stadium security, all the while chanting "a**hole". Sometimes it's warranted (there are some real a**hole fans of other teams), but sometimes they're picking on some 7 year old kid who goes to the game w/ his mother . Real classy. This is, of course, after spending hours in the parking lot drinking to the point of stupidity, then vomiting before they enter the stadium. I see this kinda stuff nearly every time I attend a Bills home game, and from my point of view, it's usually the Bills "fans" that are the ones making a**holes of themselves.

Sorry, psaunders. My family has had seasons tickets since 1987 (including four years I lived in DC, but not including four years I lived in Boston), and far more often than not Bills fans are the ones puking in the aisles or parking lots, peeing on people in the bathrooms, starting with opposing fans...

... don't get me wrong, most stadiums have their share of jerks and by no means are all visiting fans behaving like saints. But the fact remains many Bills fans treat the lots and the stadium like a toilet, and coupled with dark, disgusting concourses, horrible bathroom facilities and the few major a--holes in the stadium that puke again, act like complete jerks... you see why many of us think The Ralph - for all its glory - is a complete dump.

I have not been to any other stadium in the NFL so I can not comment on the other stadiums however I think The Ralph is just fine (other than the bathrooms). So it does not have 9 million ATM's, if you know that and plan for it no big deal. Same goes for pat downs, it is annoying but plan ahead and your fine. Parking is parking people, I'm thankful for the spacious lots and fun atmosphere that makes going to the games fun. I'm convinced if they ever build a new stadium the tailgating will not be the same (I say this because they will move downtown or Niagara Falls and will not have a ton of land). The food is just fine after all it is a football game and same with the beer. Bathrooms are an issue that should be addressed. But the field is only a few years old, scoreboard and ribbon boards are pretty new and the fans despite the drunks are entertaining, knowledgeable and are passionate about football. If you want better amenities get into a luxury box, for me I enjoy the 300 level and the sight lines are great. The wind and conditions are what makes going to the games fun and you hope it gives the Bills an advantage. Really my only complaint is the bathrooms and oh the personnel choices of the franchise but I cant blame the stadium for that. Long live Rich err ugh The Ralph and I hope the Bills never leave!

only by prima donnas who don't know what they're talking about :thumbsup:

If RWS is wonderful, why is Wilson so thrilled about leaving it for one home game every regular season up in Toronto? Because despite the $160 Million we pumped into upgrading it ten years ago, Wilson still can't make enough unshared revenue off of it to satisfy him. In hindsight, we would have been better off spending $250 Million back in 1998 and building a brand new palace with state of the art suites and premium seat licenses and.....WAIT A MINUTE! Sorry fans, I forgot we are from Buffalo and Western New York. We are poor and destitute, and we could never have afforded to build that new stadium while also tearing down Rich. How crazy of me.....so instead, we now have our nice RWS, affordable, yet only good enough to hold seven home games instead of eight.

If RWS is wonderful, why is Wilson so thrilled about leaving it for one home game every regular season up in Toronto? Because despite the $160 Million we pumped into upgrading it ten years ago, Wilson still can't make enough unshared revenue off of it to satisfy him. In hindsight, we would have been better off spending $250 Million back in 1998 and building a brand new palace with state of the art suites and premium seat licenses and.....WAIT A MINUTE! Sorry fans, I forgot we are from Buffalo and Western New York. We are poor and destitute, and we could never have afforded to build that new stadium while also tearing down Rich. How crazy of me.....so instead, we now have our nice RWS, affordable, yet only good enough to hold seven home games instead of eight.

I'm guessing you've been in a cave since the whole Toronto initiative was announced. The whole reason for it is to coax corporations to spend more money on the Bills with luxury boxes and club seating. The thought is that if the corporate guys who buy those high-priced tix like the game experience, they'll buy luxury boxes at the Ralph.

Of course they neglected the fact that the game experience in Toronto blows chunks as opposed to the experience in Orchard Park

The Stadium is old and outdated and its going to happen sooner or later so folks might as well jump on board with the idea and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize placing the stadium near Niagara Falls is a perfect location. :thumbsup:

I don't think so. Case closed

I don't think so. Case closed

It will be a tough sell, but if the team is going to remain here long term, something will have to be done. However not without commitment from the team to stay in the new stadium for years. Perhaps Obama will build it as an opportunity for his job stimulus plan, thats how we got War Memorial and I believe the original Aud.

I'm guessing you've been in a cave since the whole Toronto initiative was announced. The whole reason for it is to coax corporations to spend more money on the Bills with luxury boxes and club seating. The thought is that if the corporate guys who buy those high-priced tix like the game experience, they'll buy luxury boxes at the Ralph.

Of course they neglected the fact that the game experience in Toronto blows chunks as opposed to the experience in Orchard Park

I do enjoy living in my cave. But even I know that the $9 Million per game in unshared revenue the Bills pocket while those corporations and millionaires decide whether or not to buy the suites at the Ralph, might be one other reason Wilson signed onto the Toronto initiative. I just have to wonder if there would be one less home game a season for us if we would have built a brand new stadium in downtown Buffalo when the lease first came up in '98. Doesn't it piss you off that even after that money we pumped into "re-modeling" Rich Stadium, and adding all those stupid dug-out suites and the Jim Kelly thing and the Paul McGuire thing and the Van Miller thing, even after all that, now Wilson needs Toronto too, to "compete"??

lol,secutity is the same everywhere. buffalo is the best deal in the nfl. go to a NE game sometime. parking 50 food is ridiculous welcome to the NFL bro.

its all geared now to corporate dollars. thats why buffalo cant compete we simply dont have the corporate base.

thats why it pisses me off so bad when people and media say boycott the bills. great freaking thinking for what purpose so we can loose the team that a city of our size has no business having in the first place. i live for my sundays @ the ralph and have for over 30 years and people want to jeopardize us having a team by not going to bills games great freaking thinking.

i know a lot of people are not happy now me included but we are @ such a disadvantage to compete with the jerry jonses and daniel snyders of this league its not funny.

I think this is also the reason why many opposing team fans get tickets at RWS because it is cheaper to see their team on the road then at home. And we lose Home Field Advantage.

My only complaint about the Ralph is how long it takes to get through the pat-downs. Geez those guys are slow, I missed the kickoff and first three plays of a game this year thanks to those turtles.

Oh and the $9 for a beer is crazy. :thumbsup:

They should have the Jills do the patdowns

Here is a supposed up to date ranking of all of the NFL Stadiums...

and the Ralph ranks 30th...

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/nflfavorites.html

Funny thing is the guys that did the rankings are from Buffalo...

" Imagine traveling to every big league city in the United States and

Canada and attending a home game of every team. All 30 Major

League baseball parks. Every National Football League Stadium. All

the big arenas that house NBA and NHL teams. Think about

tailgating at the venues, checking out the local sports museums and

shrines, hanging out at cool sports pubs and eateries, and

sightseeing all around town."

"For two best friends from Buffalo, New York, this has been the sports

lovers' adventure of a lifetime. We started hitting the road in 1998,..."

about the Ralph...

#30 RALPH WILSON STADIUM

ORCHARD PARK, NEW YORK

BUFFALO BILLS

One of the NFL's absolute best tailgate scenes here in Buffalo, but not enough was done to

upgrade this place when "The Ralph" was renovated after the '98 season. The stadium remains

extremely functional even after 30+ years, and Bills fans are very loud and passionate.

Arc- 5, Food-4, Scbd-2.5, Ush-6, Fans-6, Loc-6, Bann-7, Ent-3, Conc-4, Bonus-5 Total: 48.5

Only teams we beat were the Giants and San Fran, somehow the Jets finished ahead of us playing in "GIANTS STADIUM".