Ed Reed

bills44

i wouldn't freak, he (mays) could be a blend of palo and reed. Mays has range and speed, but we need serious help up front.

If they run the D the way they have, it won't make that much of an impact. Now, if they actually played more aggressively, it would be a very big upgrade. Of course, the guys we have now would look a whole lot better than they do now, too.

Agree with everything in that post, Simon. Well said.

That's because there is nothing to disagree with.

The Bills/Dick Levy are the only team who would be stupid enough to build a team starting with the secondary, and line them up on the centerfield warning track.

Simon was also right when he said that Levy would be worse than Donahoe. Levy did long term damage to this club, and continues to do so via his clone, Dick Jauron.

That's because there is nothing to disagree with.

The Bills/Dick Levy are the only team who would be stupid enough to build a team starting with the secondary, and line them up on the centerfield warning track.

Simon was also right when he said that Levy would be worse than Donahoe. Levy did long term damage to this club, and continues to do so via his clone, Dick Jauron.

No matter how many times, and in how many threads, you post it, you will continue to be wrong in your belief that there is only one way to build a team, and that Offensive Lineman MUST come in the first two rounds of the draft.

And, the team is in much better shape, throughout the lineup, than in was at the end of 2005.

No matter how many times, and in how many threads, you post it, you will continue to be wrong in your belief that there is only one way to build a team, and that Offensive Lineman MUST come in the first two rounds of the draft.

Sorry, but imo the above is empty rhetoric, simply stating the obvious.

A team with a solid foundation would be wise to devote resources to the secondary if need be. A that is weak up front on BOTH sides of the ball is stupid to do so. Levy took this idiocy to an even bigger extreme by turning down a trade offer, only to waste the #8 on a guy that plays miles away from the football.

The Bills did well with Lynch, and were lucky Trent was still there at the end of round 3. Poz is a nice player but they had to give up a first day pick to get him. Other than this, the bulk of the early Dick Levy drat picks were defensive backs. You defend Marv to the end and I admire that, but he was washed up over a decade ago. No other team in the league would have considered him in any capacity, let alone GM.

Donahoe made some huge errors. His head coaches were awful (although no worse than Jauron), and Losman was a disasterous selection. There were other mistakes, but at least he was able to see past the secondary. Tell me, do you have any personal limitations in terms of drafting d-backs? Will it be OK with you if we use 2 more picks on day 1 of 09?

I have been watching Ed Reed since he started playing for the Canes. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He is a game changer.

I have no idea what play that other poster* was talking about, but Ed Reed saved a season for the Canes in the dying moments of a game against Boston College.

Both players are very good (Troy and Ed Reed).

I also would not be upset at all if the Bills drafted Taylor Mays. At least on the college level, he is a man among boys.

* Regarding that poster's characterization of those Canes teams as overrated, those teams had plenty of talent - just ask the NFL GMs who drafted so many of those guys. Unfortunately, the Canes have been piss poor these past few years.

I'd freak, but in a good way. DB is not a popular choice round here but I'd love him. Big time player who can play FS and be paired with Whitner, making each other better. What's not to like. That said DE is undoubtedly the bigger need.

If we grabbed Mays in RD#1, here's some choices for future rounds, using DraftTek's simulator, which allows Grabs:

RD#1 Taylor Mays, FS (Grab)

RD#2 Conner Barwin DE/ Greg Hardy DE / Fili Moala DT / Alex Mack OC

RD#3 Kenny Britt WR or Ricky Jean-Francois DT

I've run this again and again and you can still get your DE and OC if you take Taylor Mays, so no, I won't freak.

Astro

Sorry, but imo the above is empty rhetoric, simply stating the obvious.

It doesn't seem obvious to you, Bill, as you continually insist that you HAVE to get OL through the draft and bemoan the fact that 1st round draft picks are not linemen.

A team with a solid foundation would be wise to devote resources to the secondary if need be. A that is weak up front on BOTH sides of the ball is stupid to do so. Levy took this idiocy to an even bigger extreme by turning down a trade offer, only to waste the #8 on a guy that plays miles away from the football.

The Bills did well with Lynch, and were lucky Trent was still there at the end of round 3. Poz is a nice player but they had to give up a first day pick to get him. Other than this, the bulk of the early Dick Levy drat picks were defensive backs. You defend Marv to the end and I admire that, but he was washed up over a decade ago. No other team in the league would have considered him in any capacity, let alone GM.

Donahoe made some huge errors. His head coaches were awful (although no worse than Jauron), and Losman was a disasterous selection. There were other mistakes, but at least he was able to see past the secondary. Tell me, do you have any personal limitations in terms of drafting d-backs? Will it be OK with you if we use 2 more picks on day 1 of 09?

Are you seriously suggesting that the Bills are worse off today than they were in 2005? If so, then you better not be bagging on Jauron. He must be a pretty good to get a team that is WORSE than one that won only five games to seven wins. In fact, many (if not most) of us feel that this team is BETTER than their record, and that the coaching is the main culprit here.

Perhaps you missed my post in another thread explaining what I think the REAL problem is, with the Bills strategy, through the years (in addition to having inferior coaches):

One of the bigger problems for the Bills, over the years, has been their inability to (or disinterest in) locking up high draft picks that produce BEFORE they hit FA. I don't think that would be any different if the player was a DB, or DL or OL or LB. In my mind, the Bills are almost always going to lose their 1st round pick to FA, if they operate like they have operated for years.

Given that, it almost makes sense to draft DBs as the good ones are FAR too expensive in FA, and the top picks can usually play at a pretty high level early in their careers. It is also easier to identify a DB that is unlikely to be a bust (something that seems to be very tricky with linemen) Where they have dropped the ball, year in and year out, is finding good linemen in rounds 3-6...guys they usually can keep/extend...and get a quality Center. Still, they have gone out, and spent major money (under Levy and Brandon) to acquire BIG interior men, on both side of the ball. Are they good enough? They haven't been, so far, but I feel that it is as much a by-product of coaching as it is talent.

I would expect them to attempt to acquire a Center, DE, LB and TE (at the least) in FA and/or in the draft. I think they need to add a DT, as well. If they ignore those positions, they are making a big mistake, IMO. Of course, they may address them, and the player drafted (or signed) may not be the answer...that's a different issue (ability to identify talent at those positions). The FO made many changes to both lines. Some moves have worked, others haven't. Some of that is due to talent, some of it coaching.

I do not expect the Bills to pick a DB in the first two rounds, this year, as even though they most likely are losing Greer, they have managed to acquire some nice depth. BUT, if they manage to sign a top flight DE and LB (for example) in FA and feel that a quality Center and TE are available in rounds 2 - 4, I could live with a DB pick...but, it isn't my first choice.

Unlike you, Bill, I don't care about the method they use to get it done...I just want it to get done.

If you're going to make such a bold statement, it would be nice if you'd back it up with position-by-position analysis.

I believe you have to look at each unit (I'm too busy and lazy to make a table with each player):

Offense:

QB: Better now, but not by much. Trent and JP > JP and Holcomb

RB: Much better now. Lynch and Jackson >>> than MaGahee and Shaud. Fullbacks are fairly even and not much of a factor here

WR: Basically the same unit, but depth now looks to be a little bit better. Let's call it a push.

TE: Campbell was better than anyone we have now. Depth is slightly better now. 2005 is slightly better than 2008, on a position that has been underutilized by the team for several years

OL: Better now. Sacks are down, yards per carry are up. Still an upgrade at center is badly needed. Teague was no better than what they have now. Starters on that line included Mike Williams, a broken down Chris Villarrial and Bennie Anderson. Others on the roster included Dylan McFarland and Greg Jerman.

Defense:

DT: Dunno. You tell me. Adams and Bannon vs. Stroud and Williams as starters. Tim Anderson and Ron Edwards were on the 2005 team. Could they make this roster?

DE: Same guys both years.

LB: Starters slightly better then, because of Fletcher. Spikes was pretty much done by the end of the year. Posey was good, but the depth was worse than it is now. Still edge to 2005

DB: Better now. The only downgrade was losing Clements but the CBs are very sound. Safety is better now. Depth at all DB positions is better now.

ST: Better then. Not a lot, but Lindell and Moorman were better in 2005, I think. There were more veterans on the ST, as well. The return game has more weapons now.

Plus, the team has gotten younger. Many of the "good" players that were moved were aging, on the downside of their careers and had large contracts.

Here are the rosters for you to look at:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...2005_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...2008_roster.htm

I'd freak, but in a good way. DB is not a popular choice round here but I'd love him. Big time player who can play FS and be paired with Whitner, making each other better. What's not to like. That said DE is undoubtedly the bigger need.

I'd be up for drafting a DB, but what's the point of drafting DB's high in this defensive scheme? The way we run defense in buffalo doesn't require any playmaking ability whatsoever; simply stand 15yds behind the LOS and wait for the play to come to you. That kind of player can be found off of the practice squad. It is really quite pathetic.

The fact of the matter is that you could draft Ed Reed II or Champ Bailey II, and they would look very average on our defense. So what's the point?