I was surprised by Mangini firing

As much as I thought the guy was an over-hyped Bellichek poser, I thought his record with the Jets deserved at least 1 more year.

Consider:

1. in 2006 he took over a 4 & 12 team, got them to 10 & 6 and a playoff berth;

2. 2007 was a digression year back to 4 & 12 when they stuggled to find a starting QB;

3. in 2008 management stuck with him with an aging Favre who had to learn a new system in a matter of weeks. They went 9 & 7, a 5 game improvement over the previous season.

I think Mangini and Favre deserved another year together to see what they could do. I'm surprised that it looks like Jets are treating them as a "1 and done" tandem, when they were just a game or 2 shy of the post season, in one of the league's most competitive divisions.

I believe it has to do more with favre then with mangini...Farve is playing his "everybody pay attention to me" crap...reports say Favre is mad cuz Mangini treats him like a reg QB and chews him out infront of staff and players..on the other hand , the players (Jones in particular) are makeing it seem that Favre gets the "A" list treatment while the rest of them are dogs sleeping outside...anyways...while watching the comments made by owner of Jets, it sounds like they want Favre back more than there HC...theyr so afraid that if they keep Mangini, Favre will walk...what theyre not paying attention to tho is that Favre seems to be being outed by his fellow players and this may lead him to leave the Jets even tho Mangini is gone...I really hope this happens...this will leave the Jets with no real #1 QB and no HC.

I believe it has to do more with favre then with mangini...Farve is playing his "everybody pay attention to me" crap...reports say Favre is mad cuz Mangini treats him like a reg QB and chews him out infront of staff and players..on the other hand , the players (Jones in particular) are makeing it seem that Favre gets the "A" list treatment while the rest of them are dogs sleeping outside...anyways...while watching the comments made by owner of Jets, it sounds like they want Favre back more than there HC...theyr so afraid that if they keep Mangini, Favre will walk...what theyre not paying attention to tho is that Favre seems to be being outed by his fellow players and this may lead him to leave the Jets even tho Mangini is gone...I really hope this happens...this will leave the Jets with no real #1 QB and no HC.

yeah, turmoil at the competition is always a good thing. they put mangini in a tough spot by sticking him with the holier-than-thou, turnover prone favre. but they still won 5 more games than last year. is jets ownership really so favred-out they thought the guy was worth more than that?

yeah, turmoil at the competition is always a good thing. they put mangini in a tough spot by sticking him with the holier-than-thou, turnover prone favre. but they still won 5 more games than last year. is jets ownership really so favred-out they thought the guy was worth more than that?

The Jets need Favre. They are going into a new stadium, with steep ticket prices...when is the last time the Jets had a legit, league star? The Giants own NY, football wise, the Jets only get attention if they win, or with Favre...I have to belive they (the Jets brass) know Favre is past his prime...but they have nobody else...and Chad Pennington, as good as he may be, isn't going to sell tickets for them, or get them the attention they need...after todays' developments (players outing Favre) I doubt he returns...unless they somehow lure Shanahan, and he can talk Favre into a return...Shanny isn't dumb though, even he has to know Brett is washed up...as a Favre fan for years, it really sucks that his career is ending this way...but he braught it on himself, I realize...

I think he is a good coach. He almost beat the 17-1 Pats last year right after they embarrassed Jauron's team on national TV 55-10.

Jauron and the Bills almost beat the Patriots on opening day 2006. Almost only counts...

i think you are right on target. favre is a primadonna. and has an ego the size of nyc. i bet if you polled the players they would rather have mangini back and let favre leave town.

The Jets had a go-for-broke offseason. They brought in all kinds of guys, handing out contracts like samples at Costco. Tannenbaum should have been fired, but Mangina took the fall. Favre came apart down the stretch and turned the ball over A LOT. It's too bad he had to be the one to get canned.

On the other hand, our coach IS the problem and didn't get fired.

I'm so confused.

If he doesn't get hired, the Bills should hire him as Defensive coach and Asst Head Coach. I think he was given a raw deal too. He definitely made mistakes, but he's also definitely got talent and potential.

I read recently that Miami or Buffalo might be interested because of his knowledge of NE. While it makes sense, Jauron is apparently all set with upgrading the coaching staff. I'd take him or even Herm Edwards if he became available to help Fewell along.

I'd love if Mangini came here as our new defensive coordinator. He's still really young, he's beaten the Patriots and he was the scapegoat in New York. Brett Favre was a disaster and someone had to take the fall.

But let's be honest with ourselves, what's the likelihood he comes here as our defensive coordinator? I think he's going to get interviewed by a few teams for their head coach job and Dick Jauron is probably happy with the progress that the defense made this year despite no pass rush. Besides that, Dick is a loyal man to his assistant coaches.

I'd love if Mangini came here as our new defensive coordinator. He's still really young, he's beaten the Patriots and he was the scapegoat in New York. Brett Favre was a disaster and someone had to take the fall.

But let's be honest with ourselves, what's the likelihood he comes here as our defensive coordinator? I think he's going to get interviewed by a few teams for their head coach job and Dick Jauron is probably happy with the progress that the defense made this year despite no pass rush. Besides that, Dick is a loyal man to his assistant coaches.

I know Fewell isn't going anywhere but I think that he's still a bit raw and could use an experienced guy on his staff. I think that guy right now is supposed to be Jauron but he is too busy making sure Schonert runs his shoddy game plan. Mangini would also likely require a switch to the 3-4.

I know Fewell isn't going anywhere but I think that he's still a bit raw and could use an experienced guy on his staff. I think that guy right now is supposed to be Jauron but he is too busy making sure Schonert runs his shoddy game plan. Mangini would also likely require a switch to the 3-4.

I dont care if its mangini or somebody else...the Bills need to get a guy onto the defensive staff that knows the 3-4 defense inside and out...this new guy could then school our Offense on what to look for and how to beat it...

When Favre was signed, all the local sports talkshows and nuts said anything less than a Super Bowl was unacceptable.

"We could make the playoffs with Pennington, with Favre it has to be a Super Bowl Ring"

Mangini had no chance, I knew he'd be gone after this season no matter yet. The Bills have low expectations, where as the NY/NJ teams have way too high of them.

When Favre was signed, all the local sports talkshows and nuts said anything less than a Super Bowl was unacceptable.

"We could make the playoffs with Pennington, with Favre it has to be a Super Bowl Ring"

Mangini had no chance, I knew he'd be gone after this season no matter yet. The Bills have low expectations, where as the NY/NJ teams have way too high of them.

True, I spend a lot of time in NYC too and I was surprised how down the media and fans were on Jets the week before they played Bills for the 1st time. I had a strong sense they would beat us too (which they did.) They won 5 more games than last year with a QB that's new to the system ... I don't care what his last name is or what records he holds, that's a lot of improvement. I think they're crazy now for not giving Mangini and Favre another year together, instead opting to add yet another "rebuilding" effort which a new coach brings.

The irony of this is, if Pennington wasn't playing for the Fins, the Jets probably would have made the playoffs.

Indeed, a buddy from college that's a big Fin fan came over to watch last week's game, I told him for the only time ever I was rooting for the Dolphins as Pennington deserved to come back to NJ and spit in the Jets face. Of course I also wanted he Jets/Pats knocked out.

The Jets owner knew Mangini had gone to his coaching limit. He knows he is stuck with Favre unless he retires for good.

They can not cut Favre next season because if he goes to a NFC Central team the Jets owe the Packers 3 1st round choices. He has to get a better coach who could work with Favre.

Any help vs the AFC East is welcome. Bills record against the division was more than pathetic. We'll never get into the playoffs if you can't beat the teams in your own conference.

Jets know this was their only shot at the playoffs for a few years...they have no QB next year and might as well rebuild with a new coaching staff, if they don't think Mangini is the right guy for the job...its not like him being there is gonna make them 10-6 next year...they are not going to be that good with no QB...

As much as I thought the guy was an over-hyped Bellichek poser, I thought his record with the Jets deserved at least 1 more year.

Consider:

1. in 2006 he took over a 4 & 12 team, got them to 10 & 6 and a playoff berth;

2. 2007 was a digression year back to 4 & 12 when they stuggled to find a starting QB;

3. in 2008 management stuck with him with an aging Favre who had to learn a new system in a matter of weeks. They went 9 & 7, a 5 game improvement over the previous season.

I think Mangini and Favre deserved another year together to see what they could do. I'm surprised that it looks like Jets are treating them as a "1 and done" tandem, when they were just a game or 2 shy of the post season, in one of the league's most competitive divisions.

I haven't been a big fan of his in the games I have seen, but I agree with this synopsis.

If they had started slower and finished better with the same record, he'd still be there.