Shades of Jeff Fisher

K-9

I remember a lot of pissed off Titan fans during Fisher's first four full seasons as coach. Never good enough to make the playoffs, never bad enough to get those impact players in the draft.

1995: 7-9

1996: 8-8

1997: 8-8

1999: 8-8

Next season: 13-3 and a SB appearance.

Based on this highly scientific formula, I expect Jauron and Co. go 8-8 next year and 13-3 in 2010 with a SB appearance. But only after bringing Steve McNair and Eddie George out of retirement. Oh, and a commitment to a pressure scheme on defense would help.

GO BILLS!!!

I just appreciate how the example of "Look, this coach was terrible and eventually figured it out and got to the Big Game!" was still more successful in his terrible period.

Yeah, winning a whopping 2 additional games over a 3 year period surely was a LOT more successful! I didn't point out his 1-5 record as the interim coach in 1994 after taking over for Pardee.

GO BILLS!!!

The difference is Jeff Fisher has always been a good game coach. Dick Jauron has NEVER been a good game coach. Quite the opposite. The mistakes we watched this season are consistent with his entire body of work.

No doubt Fisher is a great coach. Especially on game days. And I'm not suggesting for a minute that Jauron should be mentioned in the same breath. But the people who wanted Fisher gone never thought of him as a good HC coach, either. He had GREAT success as the DC in Philly running Ryan's defensive schemes that he learned playing under him in Chicago. Jauron has had success as a DC, too. Particularly under Coughlin in Jax. So he does have SOME good coaching credentials, just not HC credentials (his COTY honor notwitstanding). What Jauron doesn't have is half the players Fisher put together in Houston/Tenny. Might make it easier to be a better game day coach with better game day players. Fisher found that out, too. As did their fans.

Am I saying that will happen? No. Am I saying there's even a slight chance? No. Am I saying Jauron could just as easily screw the pooch on game-days with a roster full of All Pros? Possibly.

I'm merely pointing out that one of the better coaches in the league was very unpopular at one time and many people wanted him replaced after 4 consecutive years of mediocrity. I find that interesting.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll note that Fisher is the ONLY active head coach to take more than three years to get to the playoffs with his current team.

Good chance he'll have some company after next season, though. But after that, 13-3 and the SB!!!

GO BILLS!!!

No doubt Fisher is a great coach. Especially on game days. And I'm not suggesting for a minute that Jauron should be mentioned in the same breath. But the people who wanted Fisher gone never thought of him as a good HC coach, either. He had GREAT success as the DC in Philly running Ryan's defensive schemes that he learned playing under him in Chicago. Jauron has had success as a DC, too. Particularly under Coughlin in Jax. So he does have SOME good coaching credentials, just not HC credentials (his COTY honor notwitstanding). What Jauron doesn't have is half the players Fisher put together in Houston/Tenny. Might make it easier to be a better game day coach with better game day players. Fisher found that out, too. As did their fans.

Am I saying that will happen? No. Am I saying there's even a slight chance? No. Am I saying Jauron could just as easily screw the pooch on game-days with a roster full of All Pros? Possibly.

I'm merely pointing out that one of the better coaches in the league was very unpopular at one time and many people wanted him replaced after 4 consecutive years of mediocrity. I find that interesting.

GO BILLS!!!

I think I understand what you're saying - But Fisher was coaching that team under very difficult circumstances. They didn't have a "home" field and the conditions were really horrible. They were playing in Memphis *after* they chose Nashville as their home and while LP Field was being built.

That record those years was incredible taken in context. They relocated from Texas and I doubt any coach in the NFL wanted the job for real. Fisher is a great, great coach. I think history will show that.

I still think the Music City Throwup was a travesty of epic proportions. But he is a great coach.

C

What wasn't mentioned is that those four seasons were Fisher's first four as a NFL HC.

DJ's been a NFL HC now for eight complete seasons, and coached 5 games in Detroit.

That said, he's shown no improvement as a HC. At least Fisher learned from his mistakes. DJ is not smart enough to.

Based on this highly scientific formula, I expect Jauron and Co. go 8-8 next year and 13-3 in 2010 with a SB appearance. But only after bringing Steve McNair and Eddie George out of retirement. Oh, and a commitment to a pressure scheme on defense would help.

GO BILLS!!!

Bobby April better start working on some kind of last second miracle kick return play. I anticipate a very tight first round playoff game in January, 2011. Hopefully, the opponent will bench their starting QB for no good reason.

The difference is Jeff Fisher has always been a good game coach. Dick Jauron has NEVER been a good game coach. Quite the opposite. The mistakes we watched this season are consistent with his entire body of work.

Exactly. Anyone can go through the record book and find coaches that started slow. Thing is with Dick the mistakes are glaring. Lack of aggression being the worst violation. See the Cleveland game. Loser mentality that is just part of his personality that won't be corrected. No basic football instinct that most of us posses on this board.

Why do so many people conveniently forget that Jauron was a complete failure in Chicago (I'll give him the benefit for the five games with Detroit) before coming here?

Let's stop comparing him to big-time coaches who have struggled in the past -- i.e., Belichick, Coughlin and Fisher.

There's no comparison.

I remember a lot of pissed off Titan fans during Fisher's first four full seasons as coach. Never good enough to make the playoffs, never bad enough to get those impact players in the draft.

1995: 7-9

1996: 8-8

1997: 8-8

1999: 8-8

Next season: 13-3 and a SB appearance.

GO BILLS!!!

Millen drafted horrible and fans haed him too. maybe Russ Bradnon wil turn it around like he did in Detroit

Why do so many people conveniently forget that Jauron was a complete failure in Chicago (I'll give him the benefit for the five games with Detroit) before coming here?

Let's stop comparing him to big-time coaches who have struggled in the past -- i.e., Belichick, Coughlin and Fisher.

There's no comparison.

You miss my point. I'm not so much comparing the coaches as I am the fans of the respective teams. Very similar in their impatience. And, I suspect, just like fans everywhere.

GO BILLS!!!

You miss my point. I'm not so much comparing the coaches as I am the fans of the respective teams. Very similar in their impatience. And, I suspect, just like fans everywhere.

GO BILLS!!!

But the impatience is justified when the person -- Jauron in this case -- has one winning season in eight full years as a head coach. He's not cut out for the job; his own history proves as much.