Consider for a moment this tactical move by RW

GG

He doesn't want to fire Jauron because of the contract. But since he knows that the fanbase has unequivocally turned on Jauron, an announcement of the extension will surely rile up the masses and flood OBD's voicemail and email inboxes with infuriated messages.

Seeing the full brunt of fans' reaction will force Jauron to step down on his own, since there's very little he can do before the season starts to placate the fans.

I predict that instead of the above, somewhere around Week 5 or 6, Jauron actually just unfolds a cot on the sidelines and takes a nap during a game.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which just proves my point that Wilson is far more interested in the bottom line (business) than about winning football games, does it not?

Id agree with you there...

I want to preface my next statement with the fact that i too am PISSED about the coaching situation. I wanted Marty Ball BEFORE DJ was hired last time.

Ralphy is a smart business man but a bad judge of character. If it was me and i owned this team i would do the same thing after looking at the numbers.... Gotta keep spending in control. Keep in mind, I think this team is being sold soon and needs to be in the BLACK. Worth more in the black right?

Heres the other thing that could make this all ok... If Ralph AGREES to spend closer to the cap this year we can have more talent... A famous "other" Mr. Wilson told me today that the bills were 25M UNDER the cap this year. If this is correct and the 2009 cap goes up, say 10 Million, we potentially could have 35M to spend on free agents. If we stepped up and spent 25 million, Dick could be a non factor as the talent on the team would make up for his bonehead manuvers

I assume your situation is much different than Jauron's. He is older and has already made millions. And it isn't just email. This guy is going to get blasted unmercifully on radio, TV, in public, and on the net until the day he leaves. He is also going to get booed unmercifully every time his name is mentioned in that stadium.

I'm sorry, but I guarantee you I have enough dignity not to stand in front of 50, 60, 70k people week in and week out and listen to an entire region of the country voice their hatred of me.

Along those same lines, do you think the players might start to crack under the pressure? Or will they continue to "love Dick to death" and "can't wait to get to work each day" when the fans ride them like rented mules?

I assume your situation is much different than Jauron's. He is older and has already made millions. And it isn't just email. This guy is going to get blasted unmercifully on radio, TV, in public, and on the net until the day he leaves. He is also going to get booed unmercifully every time his name is mentioned in that stadium.

I'm sorry, but I guarantee you I have enough dignity not to stand in front of 50, 60, 70k people week in and week out and listen to an entire region of the country voice their hatred of me.

This is an interesting point. If we can assume that the posters on this board are a fair representation of the larger fan base, then Wilson has done what no player has done since Kelly - unite the fan base. The only problem? Everyone is united in their complete and bitter hatred of the head coach. I'm not sure that's the unity you want.

Also, I think we can assume that the shock and awe of this extension will diminish as the off season progresses. However, there's a very real possibility that a significant portion of the fan base will remain completely disheartened and bitter. The result? No sell outs and a lot of booing at the first hint of a bad decision. Can you imagine week 1, 2009, and a time out being called in the first quarter? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see the fans rush the field with pitchforks.

It certainly brings up an interesting scenario. Jauron and the players have, for the most part, had the loyal support of the fan base. One has to wonder how they'll handle the pressure of constant boos and the rejection of the fan base. If they handle it like they have most pressure games, I expect the majority will be on IR before training camp.

I don't think that could possibly have been a pre-determined strategy. If he really wanted him out, he would have pulled the same old "fire your assistants" move (or some other move that he knows he wouldn't do) and then make him resign..

I agree that it isn't likely that this is a strategy designed to make DJ resign. But, with regard to Ralph using the "fire your assistants" routine, it may not have been an option, if the Tim Graham source is to be believed:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-673...on-and----.html

Although it's suggested but not spelled out in Wilson's statement, a league source said Jauron's contract gives him complete hiring-and-firing control over his staff and that no changes are expected.

This is an interesting point. If we can assume that the posters on this board are a fair representation of the larger fan base, then Wilson has done what no player has done since Kelly - unite the fan base. The only problem? Everyone is united in their complete and bitter hatred of the head coach. I'm not sure that's the unity you want.

Also, I think we can assume that the shock and awe of this extension will diminish as the off season progresses. However, there's a very real possibility that a significant portion of the fan base will remain completely disheartened and bitter. The result? No sell outs and a lot of booing at the first hint of a bad decision. Can you imagine week 1, 2009, and a time out being called in the first quarter? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see the fans rush the field with pitchforks.

It certainly brings up an interesting scenario. Jauron and the players have, for the most part, had the loyal support of the fan base. One has to wonder how they'll handle the pressure of constant boos and the rejection of the fan base. If they handle it like they have most pressure games, I expect the majority will be on IR before training camp.

For all the bad decisions that Ralph makes, he always seemed to know when he had to cut the HC loose. I was very certain that even if he wanted DJ to stay - he would fire him precisely because of the backlash you are seeing right now.

To make a modern day comparison - for anyone who watches hockey - it is a complete and utter embarrassment that Gary Bettman still heads that league for the simple fact that the guy can't even award the Stanley Cup to the winning team w/o the entire arena showering him with boos. It is disgraceful that every shining moment the NHL has is tainted with the hatred of the commissioner.

As for the players, they will soon realize that their very careers are being destroyed by this man. Instead of being able to prosper, they are underachieving and leaving money on the table. And for what? Because he takes the blame during the post-game PC? Sooner or later that cover is going to wear thin.

I agree that it isn't likely that this is a strategy designed to make DJ resign. But, with regard to Ralph using the "fire your assistants" routine, it may not have been an option, if the Tim Graham source is to be believed:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-673...on-and----.html

What I don't quite get is why the national media types insist on pushing the perception that the fans dislike Jauron because of his "stoic demeanor". Graham even acknowledges in the same piece that Jauron has had very questionable game management, hasn't had a single winning season, ... and a list of other issues and then he flips Bills fans a symbolic bird and implies they only dislike Jauron because he's "stoic". :thumbdown: (Maybe I'm reading too much into Tim's piece here, but this little "stoic" bit has been regurgitated ad nauseum and without much critical thought by many in the media. I for one don't like Jauron because he has proven himself to be loser as an NFL head coach.)

Along those same lines, do you think the players might start to crack under the pressure? Or will they continue to "love Dick to death" and "can't wait to get to work each day" when the fans ride them like rented mules?

I remember when the "Bickering Bills" couldn't stop sniping at each other. I remember Kelly separating his should at Indy in 89 and thinking how bad it was that Buffalo was a soap opera.

It's not good to hear many players saying they love DJ. I wish they would go into Bickering Bills mode, but it won't happen. Someone has to publicly question this franchise, as bad as it might seem.

What I don't quite get is why the national media types insist on pushing the perception that the fans dislike Jauron because of his "stoic demeanor". Graham even acknowledges in the same piece that Jauron has had very questionable game management, hasn't had a single winning season, ... and a list of other issues and then he flips Bills fans a symbolic bird and implies they only dislike Jauron because he's "stoic". :thumbdown: (Maybe I'm reading too much into Tim's piece here, but this little "stoic" bit has been regurgitated ad nauseum and without much critical thought by many in the media. I for one don't like Jauron because he has proven himself to be loser as an NFL head coach.)

Well, Tim does monitor this board, a bit (and contributes, too). From many of the posts/threads on this Wall, I'd get the idea that fans are annoyed at DJ's stoic nature, too. It seems to be a major concern for some fans.

Now, I think that, if the team was successful, there would be little discussion of that, here If the team was terrible and Dick ranted on the sideline, they would point to that as the issue. Fans are people, and most people are stupid.

I actually like DJ. He seems to be a very straight ahead guy. He just stinks as a head coach...stoic or not.

What the ... Is this coming out of semi-retirment week?

For all the bad decisions that Ralph makes, he always seemed to know when he had to cut the HC loose. I was very certain that even if he wanted DJ to stay - he would fire him precisely because of the backlash you are seeing right now.

To make a modern day comparison - for anyone who watches hockey - it is a complete and utter embarrassment that Gary Bettman still heads that league for the simple fact that the guy can't even award the Stanley Cup to the winning team w/o the entire arena showering him with boos. It is disgraceful that every shining moment the NHL has is tainted with the hatred of the commissioner.

As for the players, they will soon realize that their very careers are being destroyed by this man. Instead of being able to prosper, they are underachieving and leaving money on the table. And for what? Because he takes the blame during the post-game PC? Sooner or later that cover is going to wear thin.

As of this time yesterday, I would have agreed. I've sat here, somewhat quietly, on the HC bashing because I had a quite confidence that Ralph would do what we all know so obviously needs to be done - replace the head coach. I was truly hopeful that Russ could convince him that rather than spend $10mill on a single player, let's spend that money on a new HC, but that was sheer hope.

But, that's all vanished into the ether of a cold night. So what are we to conclude? Ralph just doesn't care anymore. Honestly, can anyone even suggest that he's watched this team this year and thinks the coaching staff is on the right track? So, short of a 1-15 year next year, why should any of us believe Ralph will suddenly know its time to cut the HC loose? And even if he does, we're just expected to waste a year verifying what seems so apparent? I really, really want to be wrong and have Jauron and the team succeed next year. But, for the first time as a Bills fan, I truly feel hopeless.

So this is what we're left with? Hoping the coach hears the negative fan reaction and decides to do the right thing and admit he's in over his head. I can't. Hope is truly lost for this one fan. I'll still sit here and watch this team, but hoping for nothing. Just watching in bewilderment. Yes, there will be a next year.. but so what.

So this is what we're left with? Hoping the coach hears the negative fan reaction and decides to do the right thing and admit he's in over his head. I can't. Hope is truly lost for this one fan. I'll still sit here and watch this team, but hoping for nothing. Just watching in bewilderment. Yes, there will be a next year.. but so what.

Or, perhaps, start coaching better. Hey, it's possible. :thumbdown:

Well, Tim does monitor this board, a bit (and contributes, too). From many of the posts/threads on this Wall, I'd get the idea that fans are annoyed at DJ's stoic nature, too. It seems to be a major concern for some fans.

Now, I think that, if the team was successful, there would be little discussion of that, here If the team was terrible and Dick ranted on the sideline, they would point to that as the issue. Fans are people, and most people are stupid.

Well, as I said Tim isn't the only one to toss this soft nugget out there as gospel. Sure, fans may complain about his lack of screaming, but that is so clearly a superficial argument, that it really can't be taken seriously. Even "stupid fans", as you put it, realize that something stinks in Denmark.

I actually like DJ. He seems to be a very straight ahead guy. He just stinks as a head coach...stoic or not.

:thumbdown: Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I don't dislike Jauron personally; I don't even know the guy. I do dislike him as a head coach and it has everything to do with results and zero to do with his personality.

As of this time yesterday, I would have agreed. I've sat here, somewhat quietly, on the HC bashing because I had a quite confidence that Ralph would do what we all know so obviously needs to be done - replace the head coach. I was truly hopeful that Russ could convince him that rather than spend $10mill on a single player, let's spend that money on a new HC, but that was sheer hope.

But, that's all vanished into the ether of a cold night. So what are we to conclude? Ralph just doesn't care anymore. Honestly, can anyone even suggest that he's watched this team this year and thinks the coaching staff is on the right track? So, short of a 1-15 year next year, why should any of us believe Ralph will suddenly know its time to cut the HC loose? And even if he does, we're just expected to waste a year verifying what seems so apparent? I really, really want to be wrong and have Jauron and the team succeed next year. But, for the first time as a Bills fan, I truly feel hopeless.

Would Ralph opening his wallet and being aggressive in free agency change your mind about the commitment to the Bills? It would me...

Well, as I said Tim isn't the only one to toss this soft nugget out there as gospel. Sure, fans may complain about his lack of screaming, but that is so clearly a superficial argument, that it really can't be taken seriously. Even "stupid fans", as you put it, realize that something stinks in Denmark.

:thumbdown: Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I don't dislike Jauron personally; I don't even know the guy. I do dislike him as a head coach and it has everything to do with results and zero to do with his personality.

I was actually agreeing with you, Kultarr. I was just saying that Jauron's demeanor DOES seem to bother a lot of the fans, and one might get the impression that it is one of the big issues, if they read TSW. But, I think the only reason it bothers most of the fans, is because the team loses. Most fans just are very poor at analysis and communication, so "He sucks because he shows no emotion" is the way they express their dissatisfaction.

The man has had 9 years and hasn't learned anything yet. He has to be the most clueless Ivy leaguer in history.

Exactly...

If we are hoping somehow, someway Jauron is going to suddenly become a good Head Coach well...History is not on our side...Not by a longshot...When the Bills lose the opener in 2009 Jauron will be 20 Games below .500 as a Head Coach...

Meanwhile the rest of The NFL moves on...Some will make the right changes, others won't...But they will try...And they will not stand for losing...At least not for long...

Jauron would have been fired on 31 other Teams in The NFL...0-6 in the Division, a 2-8 finish, and we're keeping this career loser...I'm still in shock... :thumbdown:

Would Ralph opening his wallet and being aggressive in free agency change your mind about the commitment to the Bills? It would me...

No.

I have all the confidence in the world that the Bills will sign several free agents and address the team's area of need. I doubt it'll be Haynesworth (for various reasons most not related to Ralph), but they'll bring in guys. They've shown they'll address the areas of need in the off season. But, so what.

With the same coaching staff, so what. They brought in Mitchell. He's a good LB at stopping the run and rushing the passer. So we drop him back in coverage. They brought in big offensive linemen - good for blowing guys off the LOS. So we have them stunting and pulling themselves right out plays.

There's is absolutely no reason to believe that they'll suddenly realize how to use the talent they have on this team.