so i guess you guys will be lining up to kick sullivan

jester43

I used to hate Sullivan. I e-mailed him a few years ago, and called him out for being a negative putz. But over the years I have changed my mind about him. He does point out the flaws of the Bills organization, and he is usually dead on. The only thing about Sully though, is that almost all his article themes are "why the Bills suck" and are negative in nature (care to guess why????). I am wondering if some day, when the Bills get their sh-- together & are a good team, what will Jerry have to write about?

he was writing all kinds of nice stiff in september and october. go back and look.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, but they're reporters and he's a columnist.

Yup.

If I write something that makes you mad, just remember this quote: "The job of the sports columnist is to watch the battle from the mountaintop and then ride down and bayonet the wounded." If I write something that's wrong, just remember this quote: "Doctors bury their mistakes, sports columnists print ours."

Sullivan only speaks the truth that most deaf Bills fans DO NOT want to hear.

:lol: What I have been saying for some time now. Sullivan is kind of an ass, and he doesn't really know any more than the average Bills fan, about the X's and O's of the game...but he is normally pretty spot on about the Bills. There is plenty to be leary of with the Bills...that doesn't mean we (or at least I) can't be fans. We just start to recognize a pattern of behavior, and hope it doesn't mean we are heading to another dead end with this team.

I am always amazed at how many revisionists there on the board (since I don't live in WNY anymore, I figure this is a good sampling of the temperature of Bills fans in general), who will take unpopular opinions from yesteryear (you know the ones folks blast Sully for) as fact, to make their argument about the current state of the franchise...

I know that Jerry Sullivan is disliked and unpopular with a lot of people around here. I really don't understand why. I think that he is mostly fair and correct with his criticism of this team/organization. I personally find him to be one of the most credible and accurate members of the Buffalo media (print, radio, and TV).

He calls it like it is! That's real problem is with the folks who don't wanna hear the truth.

Exactly. I've seen weathervanes with stronger opinions.

PTR

Wow. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. One minute you hate the organization for how bad they are, then the next minute you are damning anyone who points out how bad they are. Sullivan is far more consistent.

But the point is, who cares if Sullivan has a negative take? Why is it any problem to you guys at all?

Who gets upset about this stuff? People who want the Buffalo News to tell them everything is alright? I mean do you not watch the games? Not read the postgame quotes, the stats, the standings, etc..? The variables are mostly there in front of you, if you don't like it, draw your own conclusions and don't worry about what Sullivan or Mort or whoever says.

I used to hate Sullivan. I e-mailed him a few years ago, and called him out for being a negative putz. But over the years I have changed my mind about him. He does point out the flaws of the Bills organization, and he is usually dead on. The only thing about Sully though, is that almost all his article themes are "why the Bills suck" and are negative in nature (care to guess why????). I am wondering if some day, when the Bills get their sh-- together & are a good team, what will Jerry have to write about?
Check out some of his columns during the first 6 games, they were positive regarding the Bills. He's pretty much always on the money and a hell of a lot more insightful than the rest of those guys.

Wow. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. One minute you hate the organization for how bad they are, then the next minute you are damning anyone who points out how bad they are. Sullivan is far more consistent.

But the point is, who cares if Sullivan has a negative take? Why is it any problem to you guys at all?

Who gets upset about this stuff? People who want the Buffalo News to tell them everything is alright? I mean do you not watch the games? Not read the postgame quotes, the stats, the standings, etc..? The variables are mostly there in front of you, if you don't like it, draw your own conclusions and don't worry about what Sullivan or Mort or whoever says.

I agree with you on Sullivan, but Mort is an idiot and goes out of his way to dog the Bills. That guy's got a bone to pick with the Bills because of Donahoe and he won't let it go, totally unprofessional.

Yeah, but look at their sterling voting record...was that really Joe Brain Sponge Mesi who won a primary?

:lol:

Sorry guy. Even when he is right, Jerry Sullivan is the definition of a horse's ass.

The important thing about a horse's ass is not that he is stupid or wrong--often he can be right, and even intelligent, if you measure intelligence solely by I.Q. points--but that he goes out of his way to be obnoxious, to act smarter than he is, like he always knows he's right even when he's not, and is never able to see anything outside of the narrow window through which he habitually looks. He will pick a hobby horse and ride it mercilessly, pick a scapegoat and flog him until death.

When things are not going the way he predicted a horse's ass will soft pedal his criticisms; when someone he hates is up, he'll talk about other things rather than rip, moderating his tone in order to act like he's on board, holding his enmity in reserve. But he will never truly lay off his enemies, he will never forget anyone who ever crossed or contradicted him, he will always kick anyone when he's down and smugly tell you "I told you so."

A horse's ass is a jerk and a blowhard. He has no sense of his own fallibility, no toleration for anyone else's, knows every answer, and never admits he is wrong.

I know some people who fit your definition, but Sullivan doesn't. He has often admitted that he was wrong. His problem is that he is at times negative about the Bills. In Buffalo, that's a crime. But when the team sucks, as it has for years now, being negative should be a requirement for a good reporter.

Sullivan can be a bit caustic but his message seems logical. Until the Bills have a coaching staff that is capable of matching wits with the likes of Patriots (and now the Dolphins it appears) they will be at a competitive disadvantage. And after several failured attempts this decade it seems unlikly ownership is willing to make the investment to resolve this gap. Firing Juron makes no sense unless Wilson is serious about upgrading the coaching staff.

Earlier this year Sullivan praised Edwards several times, and a couple of years ago praised Losman when he was playing decent. He's not always a cynical but he's more so than not. Negative statement statement sell well then good statements. Frankly, I think he's been more objective with this team then people give him credit for.

When your team cannot make the playoffs since 99' there isn't much positive to play off of.