Turk Schonert...

Brand J

The Poll  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Stay or Go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Undecided

Personally, I like the Turk a lot more than most on this board. There have been times in many games this year where the playcalling has been BEAUTIFUL (flowing and consistent) and obviously, times when the playcalling has been horrendous. He is a first year offensive coordinator - my question is: should he stay or should he go? If you vote for him to leave, which coach would you hire in his place? The Turk has definitely been too pass happy at times this year, but overall his playcalling is superior to Steve "run, run, pass, punt" Fairchild. I would prefer to hold onto Schonert, while hiring a new head coach - but that's just my opinion...

Personally, I like the Turk a lot more than most on this board. There have been times in many games this year where the playcalling has been BEAUTIFUL (flowing and consistent) and obviously, times when the playcalling has been horrendous. He is a first year offensive coordinator - my question is: should he stay or should he go? If you vote for him to leave, which coach would you hire in his place? The Turk has definitely been too pass happy at times this year, but overall his playcalling is superior to Steve "run, run, pass, punt" Fairchild. I would prefer to hold onto Schonert, while hiring a new head coach - but that's just my opinion...

Would imagine that any new coach coming in would want to be able to bring in his own coaching staff, so if DJ goes, Turk probably goes as well. The only exception I can imagine is if DJ were to be replaced by Bobby April, who might decide to keep most of the existing staff.

I agree that Turk showed "flashes of brilliance", as did many of the players on the offensive side of the ball ... but the bottom line is, if the players execute the play that is called, whatever it is, the OC is going to look good, and if they don't, he's going to look bad. The only fault I had with Turk is that at times, he seemed more intent on trying to exploit a perceived weakness in the opposing defense, rather than just calling plays according to the Bills' strength(s) (e.g. calling pass plays near the goal line when the run had gotten them down there in the first place, esp. Lunch). But I think he can learn from this year!

GO BILLS!

He's gone through the whole rookie year learning curve thing...now people want to dump him so he can go somewhere else, take this precious knowledge and blossom? Gimme a break. This is so Buffalo! RUn the guy out of town after he just cut his teeth here. He will learn from his mistakes and I don't think he's been that bad?!? We all wanted someone less predictable and more aggressive. I've never seen people clamor for more inside the 10 handoffs when we just came off a year where all the Bills did was hand off inside the 10?

He hasn't been able to get his players to go downfield, even if it is incomplete, which would stop teams from crowding the line and stopping our run, which they did most of the season.

He hasn't been able to do much against 3-4 defenses, even though all of our division rivals play it.

He hasn't been able to find ways to get the ball to two of our three biggest playmakers, Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish, when every other team in the league would find ways to get the ball to a dangerous guy like Parrish at least five times a game.

He won't roll our quarterbacks out even though both of them throw well on the run and it almost always works for us (the Losman fumble the exception, which I guarantee and would bet anything was Shonert's call and not Jauron's, regardless of what Jauron says).

He has so far refused to throw the ball to the endzone on so many occasions it's frightening, which has resulted in so many FGs, which could have cost us games.

There are numerous plays designed and ran with a maddening set of patterns that don't stretch the field to allow players to find seams, even though we have decent pass protection.

They told us all off season and pre-season how they are going to throw the ball downfield to the running backs, then waited 14 and a half games to do it, and presto, it was a 65 yard gain. (They may have tried it to Marshawn once earlier that was incomplete).

Not running Marshawn near the goalline was unconscionable, not to mention how stupid it was to run Omon twice into the middle of the line last week, which luckily didn't kill us.

The inability to get plays in quickly enough has caused numerous wasted time-outs all season long. As well as a deplorable use of the clock in the final two minutes of the halves, which is mostly on the OC calling the plays.

I have failed to see a good game plan taking advantage of a team's weakness, except in rare occasions. We also almost always start out slow on offense, which again leads me to believe he doesn't have a great plan of attack going in.

Losman was absolutely abysmal when he was in there but Shonert, like his predecessor, simply refused to take advantage of the things that Losman does well, and instead called play after play after play that puts Losman in a position that he often stinks at: a 7 step drop straight back in the pocket waiting for a play to develop. Edwards and Losman are completely different quarterbacks and you don't need to change an offense for one or the other but what you do need to do is put players in positions to do what they do well and keep them out of positions that they suck at.

Shonert had some flashes early in the season of calling a good mix of plays, that worked reasonably well. But those were short lived, and teams adapted but he didn't. And we paid for it, probably with a chance to go to the playoffs.

Problem appears to be more related to 3-4 defense than offense in general although the Bills Offense has been offensive for years. They need find a way to attack 3-4 defenses.

Oh and will not get into the go-no go polls since they have as much significance as fantasy or madden football.

Can we please drop this notion that the Offensive coordinator is the one to blame every year for the poor offense. Look Kevin Gilbride won a super bowl ring as the giants offensive coordinator and the giants are doing very well this year also. Dan Henning is now OC in carolina and that team will be one of the top two teams in the NFC. Even Fairchild has improved the colorado state football team (they actually won a bowl game after only winning a total of 7 games the past two years combined).

the only thing i would say negative about Turk is hes doenst get the ball to Lee Evans enough

but that maybe just as much Trent Edwards fault that it is Turks

Marshawn should get the rock on running plays at least 20 times a game but they are close to that so no big thing there...

would like to see them next year at least try throwing the ball long to James Hardy a bit more also

well throw more long peroid to loosen up the defense

Not running Marshawn near the goalline was unconscionable, not to mention how stupid it was to run Omon twice into the middle of the line last week, which luckily didn't kill us.

Please, let's get this straight. Jackson had just completed his catch & run, and was winded, not ready to go for the next play. Marshawn was already out of the game with his shoulder injury. Only Omon or McIntyre to carry the ball. Maybe they could have called the fade to Johnson on 1st down, but I'm happy it worked on third.

I really have no problem whatsoever with Schonert. I didn't even hate the pass call in the Jets game that Losman blew.

It's not Schonert's fault that the line is pretty weak in terms of run blocking, it's not Schonert's fault that Evans A) has to reliable complimentary receiver and B) is pretty limited himself as far as what he's able to do on the field.

One thing that I don't really understand is the disappearance of the screen pass from the offense. The first month or so they were executing it very well...then they just kind of stopped doing it.

Guest dog14787
He hasn't been able to get his players to go downfield, even if it is incomplete, which would stop teams from crowding the line and stopping our run, which they did most of the season.

He hasn't been able to do much against 3-4 defenses, even though all of our division rivals play it.

He hasn't been able to find ways to get the ball to two of our three biggest playmakers, Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish, when every other team in the league would find ways to get the ball to a dangerous guy like Parrish at least five times a game.

He won't roll our quarterbacks out even though both of them throw well on the run and it almost always works for us (the Losman fumble the exception, which I guarantee and would bet anything was Shonert's call and not Jauron's, regardless of what Jauron says).

He has so far refused to throw the ball to the endzone on so many occasions it's frightening, which has resulted in so many FGs, which could have cost us games.

There are numerous plays designed and ran with a maddening set of patterns that don't stretch the field to allow players to find seams, even though we have decent pass protection.

They told us all off season and pre-season how they are going to throw the ball downfield to the running backs, then waited 14 and a half games to do it, and presto, it was a 65 yard gain. (They may have tried it to Marshawn once earlier that was incomplete).

The inability to get plays in quickly enough has caused numerous wasted time-outs all season long. As well as a deplorable use of the clock in the final two minutes of the halves, which is mostly on the OC calling the plays.

I have failed to see a good game plan taking advantage of a team's weakness, except in rare occasions. We also almost always start out slow on offense, which again leads me to believe he doesn't have a great plan of attack going in.

Losman was absolutely abysmal when he was in there but Shonert, like his predecessor, simply refused to take advantage of the things that Losman does well, and instead called play after play after play that puts Losman in a position that he often stinks at: a 7 step drop straight back in the pocket waiting for a play to develop. Edwards and Losman are completely different quarterbacks and you don't need to change an offense for one or the other but what you do need to do is put players in positions to do what they do well and keep them out of positions that they suck at.

Shonert had some flashes early in the season of calling a good mix of plays, that worked reasonably well. But those were short lived, and teams adapted but he didn't. And we paid for it, probably with a chance to go to the playoffs.

Turk Shonert is not OC material, he was promoted from a system that didn't work and we go into every game looking like one of the worst prepared teams on offense I have ever seen.

Oh, and the scoring ranking 5th in the league? The poster was only comparing TE's starts, meanwhile the rest of the teams had to take every game into account on the comparison. Hardly seems fair considering other teams like Dallas also lost their starting QB. If you want to get selective with numbers and compare just a few of our games against a whole season of someone elses, you can make numbers say about anything.

Truth of the matter is we have not played one full game, a full 60 minutes where the offense has played well throughout, not one. The play calling has been poor, and the play on the field even poorer. Our offensive philosophy has been flawed since Fairchild brought it here. Mike Martz runs the same offense in San Fran where they lead the league in having their QB sacked. Wonder why our QB is taking a beating? I just told you why.

We need the West Coast offense brought into Buffalo and somebody that can coach it and its not Turk Shonert.

Not sure who said it first on this board but the quote goes something like this...

""Why hire an assistant that worked under someone who stunk at calling plays?""

Ive been complaining all season about how this OC doesn't utilize the ground game to help setup the passing game.That was until this last game at Denver. BUT! Denver had the 27th Defense against the run and their defense overall really stinks.

That Denver game would have been a loss had the Bills defense not been able keep them outta the end zone like 6 times. The total yardage differential was something like 275 Bills 532 Denver.

All season I've been posting on this board that Turk "shotgun" Schonert calls the shotgun play much to often and ignores the running game. Marshawn Lynch could have been a starter in the pro bowl if he was utilized properly from the start of the season.

I'll say give both Dick Jauron and his cohort in stupidity a chance to redeem themselves against a real defense,the Patriots! If the Bills can successfully beat the Patriots by mounting a decent offensive game plan then I say give them both another year. If they lose.. buh bye!!!!!!!!

I look at the Baltimore Ravens and can't help but wish we had Cam Cameron as our OC,this team would be in the playoffs,no question!!!!