Who to draft in round one?

bizell

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to get at least two monster pass rushers. Whether it is one LB, one DL or two DL.

It looks like Reggie Corner and Leodis McKelvin know how to play this game and with any sort of pass rush, could do a better than adequate job. Off subject, is it just me or did Bryan Scott look like, possibly the worst defensive coverage back in the history of the NFL on Sunday ??

who would you pick w/ our first rounder? Assuming we pick a DE.

Orakpo is the concensus #1 DE, but he'll probably be gone by our slot.

Everette Brown and Michael Johnson are probably the next two guys.. I wouldn't mind either.

If it's DE only and Orakpo is gone then Ole Miss DE Greg Hardy.

Rookies learning the C2 take time. That goes for each position, particularly LB's who drop into zone coverage. I think Posluszny will improve in his second full season. But it is concerning he hasn't developed quicker.

Drafting a center is ridiculous. There are other center's available this year, namely Unger, Luigs, and Mack. I wouldn't be surprised if C was addressed in FA or the 2nd round.

The difference being that those other guys are very good, but Mack is a mack. He's the best center in years, with no weak points in his game. Also, a lot of the centers available in this draft weigh 290 or 295. We've already got a guy like that. It doesn't work when all the NTs in the division are 320 or over and excellent. The Jets guy, Jenkins, is 360, right? We need a big strong center, and the upper echelon of centers only has two of them, Mack and Luigs. And Mack will be gone by the time we draft in the second, and chances are Luigs will too. If we don't get one of them, we will be working with Fowler for another year or two, and I just don't want that.

There are lots of other centers available? Lots of DEs and LBs too. But the longer you wait, the lower the quality, or at least the bigger the risk. We do really need a pass rusher, but we need a center even more.

I'm a defense first guy, normally, but I think that the move with the biggest immediate impact would be picking up Mack. The o-line would be hugely improved. We wouldn't have to double-team the big inside DLs so much, and that new line could become a really good run blocking outfit.

not sure it matters. assuming the CBA is not done for 2010, we will have an uncapped year in 2010 and Peters, Edwards, and anyone else unsigned in the next 12 months will wait for that and leave via free agency. our priority is to get those guys signed so they don't bolt after their contracts are up... no one is talking about this but they should be... 2009 may be the last season of business as usual in the NFL.

Merry Christmas to all...

I think the obvious answer is DE we have too much money tied up in the position to pick one up in FA. I like Terrell Suggs but as an OLB who can line up at DE in passing downs, heres hoping Baltimore decides to re-sign Ray Lewis and Bart Scott instead.

Center would be a reach Mack is not a consensus 1st rounder and can be had in the late 1st or early 2nd round. In addition there are other centers who are available. I think you have to spend our 1st round pick on the D-line. DT would not be a bad choice either. Not familar with the top prospects but we lack depth and our run defense has struggled after a strong start. I think for guys like Stroud and Williams fatigue has set in as we are having trouble stopping the run again and teams are gashing us for big runs.

Good Linebackers can be had later in the draft and the only one I would consider in the 1st would be Aaron Curry if available. I would like to Bills to pick an Lb who is versatile that can cover both the pass and the run someone like Adalius Thomas of the Patriots.

It hurts that we have so many holes to fill otherwise TE would have been a great choice. I think this is going to be an extremely deep draft where you will still be able to get talented players in the later rounds. I wouldn't mind trading down to get extra picks but that hasn't been something this organization has liked to do in the past so I don't see things changing.

Bob Chalmers and Ramius are true draftniks. Everette Brown is the real deal. He has all the moves to beat opposing tackles and TE's don't stand a chance. Greg Hardy, Michael Johnson and Orakpo are all good, but Brown is a step above. And please don't question his size, he is just as big as the aforementioned.

Bob Chalmers and Ramius are true draftniks. Everette Brown is the real deal. He has all the moves to beat opposing tackles and TE's don't stand a chance. Greg Hardy, Michael Johnson and Orakpo are all good, but Brown is a step above. And please don't question his size, he is just as big as the aforementioned.

Oh well, then it's settled! :lol:

Question - have you seen any of them play, or do you just look at the rankings?

I've seen them play. Obviously I dont see every game they play, nor do I claim to be an expert on either of them. However I'm pretty sure I've seen them play as much as people who clamor for guys like Alex Mack. In fairness I don't think Curry is quite the prospect Mike Mayock would lead one to believe. I don't see him as the best lb available. I don't think he's the prospect Jarrod Mayo was last year, and for the hype he's getting, he's not half the college player AJ Hawk was. However he's the best olb available in this class. We could just as easily pick up Freeman from Ohio St in the 2nd rd. He fills a need and is a good player.

I've seen them play. Obviously I dont see every game they play, nor do I claim to be an expert on either of them. However I'm pretty sure I've seen them play as much as people who clamor for guys like Alex Mack. In fairness I don't think Curry is quite the prospect Mike Mayock would lead one to believe. I don't see him as the best lb available. I don't think he's the prospect Jarrod Mayo was last year, and for the hype he's getting, he's not half the college player AJ Hawk was. However he's the best olb available in this class. We could just as easily pick up Freeman from Ohio St in the 2nd rd. He fills a need and is a good player.

I agree. I've seen him a lot and I just can't tell where all the hype is coming from. To me, he is a very lazy player. He doesn't run, he doesn't chase down plays. Its almost as if when the ball isn't run right at or near him, he gives up on the play.

And for the DE Michael Johnson, he isn't what we're looking for. He is a very good DE, but he's not a pass rush monster. He's solid and very good against the run, but just isn't quick enough for a consistent pass rush. Much like the DE's we've got.

Everette Brown is what we need IMO.

I think the obvious answer is DE we have too much money tied up in the position to pick one up in FA. I like Terrell Suggs but as an OLB who can line up at DE in passing downs, heres hoping Baltimore decides to re-sign Ray Lewis and Bart Scott instead.

Center would be a reach Mack is not a consensus 1st rounder and can be had in the late 1st or early 2nd round. In addition there are other centers who are available. I think you have to spend our 1st round pick on the D-line. DT would not be a bad choice either. Not familar with the top prospects but we lack depth and our run defense has struggled after a strong start. I think for guys like Stroud and Williams fatigue has set in as we are having trouble stopping the run again and teams are gashing us for big runs.

Good Linebackers can be had later in the draft and the only one I would consider in the 1st would be Aaron Curry if available. I would like to Bills to pick an Lb who is versatile that can cover both the pass and the run someone like Adalius Thomas of the Patriots.

It hurts that we have so many holes to fill otherwise TE would have been a great choice. I think this is going to be an extremely deep draft where you will still be able to get talented players in the later rounds. I wouldn't mind trading down to get extra picks but that hasn't been something this organization has liked to do in the past so I don't see things changing.

Mack is a consensus 1st round talent. He isn't always predicted to go early because there has been a hesitancy to take a center in the first. But Mack is simply the best guy in years. He will go in the first. Bet on it.

And with the HUGE DTs in this division, we need a BIG center, and there only two of those who are high level prospects, Mack and Luigs. And both of them are likely to be gone by the time our second round pick comes around. A 290 pounder won't work. Heck, that's Fowler's size. We need a big guy.

Mack is a consensus 1st round talent. He isn't always predicted to go early because there has been a hesitancy to take a center in the first. But Mack is simply the best guy in years. He will go in the first. Bet on it.

And with the HUGE DTs in this division, we need a BIG center, and there only two of those who are high level prospects, Mack and Luigs. And both of them are likely to be gone by the time our second round pick comes around. A 290 pounder won't work. Heck, that's Fowler's size. We need a big guy.

He a consensus end of the first round beginning of the second round talent- in the 12 spot which is where we will pick he is a reach- now if the Bills plan to move down about 15 spots then he makes better sense.

You don't watch much college football do you? Just looking at heights and weights, are we? You must have missed Antione Caldwell from Alabama.

who would you pick w/ our first rounder? Assuming we pick a DE.

Orakpo is the concensus #1 DE, but he'll probably be gone by our slot.

Everette Brown and Michael Johnson are probably the next two guys.. I wouldn't mind either.

Forget DE or DT. If I were "running things", I would draft the best center in the draft to anchor my O-Line for the next 10 or more years.

We need to get at least two monster pass rushers. Whether it is one LB, one DL or two DL.

It looks like Reggie Corner and Leodis McKelvin know how to play this game and with any sort of pass rush, could do a better than adequate job. Off subject, is it just me or did Bryan Scott look like, possibly the worst defensive coverage back in the history of the NFL on Sunday ??

Scott got burned, but without those monster pass rushers I agree with you the Bills lack, tight ends and slot receivers are always the first ones open immediately on most pass plays. I really like Scott's size, and hitting ability. An aggressive DC could find ways to take advantage of those traits, but Fewell has got to be the worst DC in the NFL today.

Despite this, I am still convinced the Bills have to draft the best center when they pick 9 - 16 in April. The best one should still be on the board at 16, or certainly higher. A new DC can teach a second round DE how to use his skills to help improve the Bills' pass rush next season. But why not draft the very best center coming out this season, who looks like he will be ranked around the end of the first round in value, so he can use his superior talent to anchor the O-Line for years to come??