Who to draft in round one?

bizell

who would you pick w/ our first rounder? Assuming we pick a DE.

Orakpo is the concensus #1 DE, but he'll probably be gone by our slot.

Everette Brown and Michael Johnson are probably the next two guys.. I wouldn't mind either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everette Brown and Michael Johnson are probably the next two guys.. I wouldn't mind either.

I wouldn't assume to pick a DE, if OLB Malauga(sp?) is on the board then I would take him if not I'd go with Greg Hardy at DE. It would be hard to pass up a beast like Terrence Cody but his injury is a bit concerning.

I'm not saying he's "The Guy," but if Maualuga is available and the best available on the Bills' board, why not take him? Posluszny has proven NOTHING at MLB other than the fact he's ridiculously overrated.

Rey at MLB and Posluszny taking over for Crowell on the strong-side would likely be an improvement for this mediocre LB corps.

a few things:

maualuga (sp?) is a mike(mlb)

cody is staying in school for his senior year.

greg hardy is interesting. the ole miss line was absolutely beastly this year.

You're right, I meant ILB.

I didn't know Cody was staying, it's the right choice for him. He will be a monster next year.

I like that Greg Hardy was such a stud in the SEC.

I'm not saying he's "The Guy," but if Maualuga is available and the best available on the Bills' board, why not take him? Posluszny has proven NOTHING at MLB other than the fact he's ridiculously overrated.

Rey at MLB and Posluszny taking over for Crowell on the strong-side would likely be an improvement for this mediocre LB corps.

Exactly my line of thought...

I don't think drafting a DE is a bad idea, but I think a LB can step in and be effective a lot sooner, and that we should go after a DE in FA. I'm not sure if we could ever land the guy, but if we were to be able to get Julius Peppers and then draft a LB, C, and TE, I think we would be in great shape for a playoff run

the choices for free agent DEs are pretty slim:

DE	NR		Terrell Suggs	UFA	6	6-3/260	Arizona State	Baltimore	
DE	NR		Julius Peppers	UFA	7	6-7/283	North Carolina	Carolina	
DE	NR		Chris Canty	UFA	4	6-7/300	Virginia	Dallas	
DE	NR		Kenechi Udeze	UFA	5	6-3/281	USC	Minnesota	
DE	NR		Kevin Carter	UFA	14	6-6/305	Florida	Tampa Bay	
DE	NR		Bertrand Berry	UFA	11	6-3/270	Notre Dame	Arizona	
DE	NR		Victor Adeyanju	RFA	3	6-4/280	Indiana	St. Louis	
DE	NR		Ebenezer Ekuban	UFA	9	6-3/275	North Carolina	Denver	
DE	NR		Antonio Smith	UFA	5	6-4/280	Oklahoma State	Arizona	
DE	NR		Dwan Edwards	UFA	5	6-3/315	Oregon State	Baltimore	
DE	NR		Earl Cochran	RFA	4	6-5/284	Alabama State	Houston	
DE	NR		Michael Montgomery	UFA	4	6-5/275	Texas A&M	Green Bay	
DE	NR		Otis Grigsby	RFA	3	6-3/260	Kentucky	Minnesota	
DE	NR		N.D. Kalu	UFA	11	6-3/265	Rice	Houston	
DE	NR		Jerome McDougle	UFA	6	6-2/264	Miami (FL)	NY Giants	
DE	NR		Orpheus Roye	UFA	13	6-4/330	Florida State	Pittsburgh	
DE	NR		Josh Thomas	UFA	5	6-5/271	Syracuse	Indianapolis	
DE	NR		Renaldo Wynn	UFA	12	6-3/296	Notre Dame	NY Giants

Peppers and Suggs are most likely to be re-signed, and for top dollar. The rest look like over-the-hills or never-weres...

Take the best player for the value of the pick. If it's a DE, OL, or LB, then go for it. I kinda like the Maualuga idea if he's available. He needs a bit of refinement, but it's easier to coach a great athlete up than it is to take a well coached player and make him more athletic.

The pick could end up being a TE like Jermaine Gresham of OU. Not the best blocker, but man is he a threat in the passing game.

the choices for free agent DEs are pretty slim:

DE	NR		Terrell Suggs	UFA	6	6-3/260	Arizona State	Baltimore	
DE	NR		Julius Peppers	UFA	7	6-7/283	North Carolina	Carolina	
DE	NR		Chris Canty	UFA	4	6-7/300	Virginia	Dallas	
DE	NR		Kenechi Udeze	UFA	5	6-3/281	USC	Minnesota	
DE	NR		Kevin Carter	UFA	14	6-6/305	Florida	Tampa Bay	
DE	NR		Bertrand Berry	UFA	11	6-3/270	Notre Dame	Arizona	
DE	NR		Victor Adeyanju	RFA	3	6-4/280	Indiana	St. Louis	
DE	NR		Ebenezer Ekuban	UFA	9	6-3/275	North Carolina	Denver	
DE	NR		Antonio Smith	UFA	5	6-4/280	Oklahoma State	Arizona	
DE	NR		Dwan Edwards	UFA	5	6-3/315	Oregon State	Baltimore	
DE	NR		Earl Cochran	RFA	4	6-5/284	Alabama State	Houston	
DE	NR		Michael Montgomery	UFA	4	6-5/275	Texas A&M	Green Bay	
DE	NR		Otis Grigsby	RFA	3	6-3/260	Kentucky	Minnesota	
DE	NR		N.D. Kalu	UFA	11	6-3/265	Rice	Houston	
DE	NR		Jerome McDougle	UFA	6	6-2/264	Miami (FL)	NY Giants	
DE	NR		Orpheus Roye	UFA	13	6-4/330	Florida State	Pittsburgh	
DE	NR		Josh Thomas	UFA	5	6-5/271	Syracuse	Indianapolis	
DE	NR		Renaldo Wynn	UFA	12	6-3/296	Notre Dame	NY Giants

Peppers and Suggs are most likely to be re-signed, and for top dollar. The rest look like over-the-hills or never-weres...

Chris Canty a "never were"??? If he weren't playing DE in a 3-4, he'd have more of the stats that the "I've heard of him" crowd like to see. I'm not sure how ready Dallas is to let him go either, but he'd be a nice addition to any D line.

FWIW, ESPN has Orakpo as the third-highest DE, behind Maybin from Penn St and Brown from FSU. Although they look like they may be tweener types, they're the same size as Orakpo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/colu...&id=3787089

Chris Canty a "never were"??? If he weren't playing DE in a 3-4, he'd have more of the stats that the "I've heard of him" crowd like to see. I'm not sure how ready Dallas is to let him go either, but he'd be a nice addition to any D line.

I couldn't really say. If he is indeed legit, then it's an oversight on my part. All the games I've seen of Dallas, though, it seems Canty has outperformed the much higher-drafted Marcus Spears.

FWIW, ESPN has Orakpo as the third-highest DE, behind Maybin from Penn St and Brown from FSU. Although they look like they may be tweener types, they're the same size as Orakpo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/colu...&id=3787089

Maybin's only a soph (redshirt, though) and it's not a given that he's going to declare.

Posluszny has proven NOTHING at MLB other than the fact he's ridiculously overrated.

All this Poz-hate is even sillier than all the man-love for Poz.

Guys - get a grip - Poz just finished his first season's worth of games, and he does a pretty decent job of what's he asked to do in this scheme.

He rarely blitzes - so why do you expect sacks?

He got a pick the other day - and almost had another.

He makes a ton of tackles.

Yes - he's often down-field - why - because the scheme has the MLB playing back 5-10 yards in coverage in the middle-short-zone a lot. Is that his fault?

Cripes - give the kid the mandatory 3 years before finding his replacement. At his early stage of development, he's done plenty.

Guys - get a grip - Poz just finished his first season's worth of games, and he does a pretty decent job of what's he asked to do in this scheme.

Yes - he's often down-field - why - because the scheme has the MLB playing back 5-10 yards in coverage in the middle-short-zone a lot. Is that his fault?

Cripes - give the kid the mandatory 3 years before finding his replacement. At his early stage of development, he's done plenty.

Where did someone say he was a bust? I must've skipped over that part.

If Everette Brown is still there I'd love to see him in a Bills uniform.

Of course, I'm an FSU-alum, so that's a biased view, but I've also been very impressed by how well I've seen him play. Great athlete, good body-type for the position (has that same sort of square but muscular build Bruce had) and from what I've seen he plays until the whistle every time.

Where did someone say he was a bust? I must've skipped over that part.

Posluszny has proven NOTHING at MLB other than the fact he's ridiculously overrated.

hehe - I corrected the word "bust" but not before you did!

Let's just say - if you're already looking to replace a 2nd year guy who missed most of his first year with injury, on a team that has gaping holes at DE, C, TE, and OLB - I think it's very premature.

Bob, I don't think he's a bust. I am a bit disappointed in some of the fundamental flaws I see in his play: poor tackling angles, no pop @ the point of attack, and failure to get the proper depth on his dropbacks (something he had NO problem w/ while @ PENN STATE). In this Tampa 2 hybrid something or other (crap) defense, he's not going to be asked to shoot the gap constantly. That's the responsibility of our front line, in particular our DEs. Hahaha!!!

hehe - I corrected the word "bust" but not before you did!

Let's just say - if you're already looking to replace a 2nd year guy who missed most of his first year with injury, on a team that has gaping holes at DE, C, TE, and OLB - I think it's very premature.

But I don't think we should replace him. I just think he is an upgrade over Ellison. Ellison is one of the weakest links on this team