DJ should not have to apologize

When thinking of the Bills offense in recent years, and in some cases years ago, we all used to complain "all we do is run, run, pass, punt!!" And I remember this even as a little kid when Bruce Mathison was the signal caller, and Greg Bell was the only guy on the team worth watching.

That call wasn't bad, actually it was quite aggressive, and the play itself is the type of play other teams pull on us all the time. Where did it fail? Well, for starters, the guy wearing #7 seems to be absolutely sure every time he drops back that nobody is going to tackle him, and didn't execute that play with a sense of urgency. He has always held on to the ball way too long. Secondly, the play was called to a no name, lump of crap tight end that has no business being on the field during critical, crunch time situations, at all. He was not open.

The instructions should have been simple... "JP... look at me, roll out right, after your first read, if he's not open, throw it AWAY. They're probably going to be rushing everyone since they think we are running the ball, you don't have much time." This is where the coaching staff failed. Wrong players on the field for this to work, thinking a no name tight end and a turnover machine could actually execute this play.

WAIT!! He should have to apologize for using those players though!!

If the pass is incomplete, no big deal, we played it aggressive. Put the ball back in Lynch's hands on third down, but not a SWEEP play.

It's easy to blame Jauron right now, but looking at the game on the NFL channel, the Bills looked solid. Looking at the losses to Miami, the Jets, and Cleveland all seem to point to the fact that it's really Schonert that should probably be let go, and someone should punch him in the face on the way out.

In other threads I have been agreeing with the firing of Jauron, and thats probably still true, but I'm starting to think he's not the problem so much as it is some of the talentless crap he has to work with. Come on, each game I watch I am utterly stunned at how poorly our defensive line performs, and how badly the offensive line gets pushed around.

If jauron is around next year, they better add some players to those squads and a new offensive coordinator, or expect 8-8, 7-9, or 6-10 again.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the thought that our play calling on offense has been predictable and vanilla, but I gotta dissent as to THAT play With the position we were in, the success we had had running, and JP's penchant for losing the football. A run and first down...game pretty much over. A run and no first down....a good punt from a great punter and good special teams...Brett has a hell of a job in front of him.

When thinking of the Bills offense in recent years, and in some cases years ago, we all used to complain "all we do is run, run, pass, punt!!" And I remember this even as a little kid when Bruce Mathison was the signal caller, and Greg Bell was the only guy on the team worth watching.

That call wasn't bad, actually it was quite aggressive, and the play itself is the type of play other teams pull on us all the time. Where did it fail? Well, for starters, the guy wearing #7 seems to be absolutely sure every time he drops back that nobody is going to tackle him, and didn't execute that play with a sense of urgency. He has always held on to the ball way too long. Secondly, the play was called to a no name, lump of crap tight end that has no business being on the field during critical, crunch time situations, at all. He was not open.

The instructions should have been simple... "JP... look at me, roll out right, after your first read, if he's not open, throw it AWAY. They're probably going to be rushing everyone since they think we are running the ball, you don't have much time." This is where the coaching staff failed. Wrong players on the field for this to work, thinking a no name tight end and a turnover machine could actually execute this play.

WAIT!! He should have to apologize for using those players though!!

If the pass is incomplete, no big deal, we played it aggressive. Put the ball back in Lynch's hands on third down, but not a SWEEP play.

It's easy to blame Jauron right now, but looking at the game on the NFL channel, the Bills looked solid. Looking at the losses to Miami, the Jets, and Cleveland all seem to point to the fact that it's really Schonert that should probably be let go, and someone should punch him in the face on the way out.

In other threads I have been agreeing with the firing of Jauron, and thats probably still true, but I'm starting to think he's not the problem so much as it is some of the talentless crap he has to work with. Come on, each game I watch I am utterly stunned at how poorly our defensive line performs, and how badly the offensive line gets pushed around.

If jauron is around next year, they better add some players to those squads and a new offensive coordinator, or expect 8-8, 7-9, or 6-10 again.

The biggest problem with Dicky J is that, when he needs to be conservative he isn't and when he needs to be aggressive, he Ain't! Bad football instincts= Bad football coach .... result, another losing season! :wallbash:

I appreciate the thought that our play calling on offense has been predictable and vanilla, but I gotta dissent as to THAT play With the position we were in, the success we had had running, and JP's penchant for losing the football. A run and first down...game pretty much over. A run and no first down....a good punt from a great punter and good special teams...Brett has a hell of a job in front of him.

Kind of my point too, and given what we had on the field, a run to Lynch should have been called, no question. As a fan, you wish we had the talent to execute a gutsy call like that.

ISNT that coaching????????????????????????????

As BuffaloBaumer said: "Make it stop..."

Stop with all the excuses. Are there fans really willing to buy into the "no talent" excuse again?

8 frigging years, 1 frigging winning season. Enough of Kotite version 2.

I swear. "Kotite" Jauron is like the JP Losman of head coaches. No matter how many times he fails, people still believe if given the right circumstances, he will eventually succeed. The dude sucks. Period. End of story.

End the abortion NOW.

DJ should not have to apologize

In hindsight, I liked the call, sort of

DJ's apology should be as follows:

"We called that particular play knowing that our QB hadn't thrown a deep ball all game, which gave us no respect from the Jests secondary, thus they stacked the line and ultimately blew up the play. We called the play knowing that we were running the ball well, knowing that the Jests would stack the line, and knowing our QB fumbles upon contact. Knowing all this, we called a play that 99% of NFL players and teams can execute without a turnover, and for that I apologize. "

I believe it was a good call for most teams, but not this one. A coach needs to know his players strengths and weaknesses. Knowing JP is shaky at best at QB, I could live with a JP run around the end. But calling for JP to put the ball in the air in that critical situation was just ridiculous, and that does fall on the coaches.

A monkey would have called for a running play in that situation. It will go down as the worst play call in Buffalo Bills history.

Stop the madness, our coach is an idiot who is devoid of anything resembling basic football instincts. The guys who are rationalizing the play call and are still supporting our baffoon of a head coach have lost their minds.

A monkey would have called for a running play in that situation. It will go down as the worst play call in Buffalo Bills history.

Stop the madness, our coach is an idiot who is devoid of anything resembling basic football instincts. The guys who are rationalizing the play call and are still supporting our baffoon of a head coach have lost their minds.

Speaking of brilliant calls... There was that play call when Chris Chandler, towards the end of his concussion filled career, was told to tuck the ball and QB sneak it into the line. He ducked his head, leaned into the line behind Olin and promptly got nailed by the MLB diving over the pile in a helmet to helmet blow. It was a matter of inches and Olin is one of the best C to ever play the game -- so it was a book smart play, one could postulate. But, Chandler went out like a light and the Bears season was over as Henry Burris was the only healthy "QB" (being generous) on the roster.

Quiz time: who was the head coach that made that call?

Think of the backlash if he had run two plays up the gut for no gain or lost yardage, punted and the Jets came back to win the game. Everybody would have gone nuclear and criticized the calls as too conservative and playing not to lose. I can hear Sullivan and all saying the calls were too conservative, he needs to get a pair, what about trying to win, etc, etc, etc..

Hindsight is always 20/20 especially when reviewing football calls. Its always a great call if it works and very dumb when it doesn't....

Think of the backlash if he had run two plays up the gut for no gain or lost yardage, punted and the Jets came back to win the game. Everybody would have gone nuclear and criticized the calls as too conservative and playing not to lose. I can hear Sullivan and all saying the calls were too conservative, he needs to get a pair, what about trying to win, etc, etc, etc..

Hindsight is always 20/20 especially when reviewing football calls. Its always a great call if it works and very dumb when it doesn't....

What are the chances that the Jets, who were getting gashed badly, would mysteriously conjure up a ginn to stop the Bills running game that had softened them up and run over them all day?

And it's very very dumb when the play call leads to a fumble returned for TD that costs the game...

And it is especially dumb when your quarterback is J.P. Losman, a guy you KNOW doesn't take care of the football very well- to me that is the biggest point of all. A coach like Jauron should KNOW better, but he doesn't. That's why they both should rightfully be boiled over this.

What are the chances that the Jets, who were getting gashed badly, would mysteriously conjure up a ginn to stop the Bills running game that had softened them up and run over them all day?

How many times this year did we gain 0 yards or lost yards in situations where the circumstances dictated a run up the gut, like in 3rd or 4th down in the red zone?