Ralph says the Bills don't have enough talent

major

Ralph thinks we don't have enough talent on the field to win games. He needs to look in the mirror. RALPH is the one that lacks talent at his job. It starts at the top. He is in control of every major move of this organization. If he doesn't think we have enough talent on the field, then he needs to go out and buy the big name players every time free agency comes around. The truth is, he's not going to do that. He'll just keep firing coaches and laying blame at the players feet. For once, I'd like to hear him come out and say he's responsible for this mess we have had since the late 90's.

Ralph thinks we don't have enough talent on the field to win games. He needs to look in the mirror. RALPH is the one that lacks talent at his job. It starts at the top. He is in control of every major move of this organization. If he doesn't think we have enough talent on the field, then he needs to go out and buy the big name players every time free agency comes around. The truth is, he's not going to do that. He'll just keep firing coaches and laying blame at the players feet. For once, I'd like to hear him come out and say he's responsible for this mess we have had since the late 90's.

Where/when did he say this?

The way to build a team is through the draft. The Bills need help at DE, TE, C, OLB. This year is a good draft for those positions, so maybe we can target our needs. However, that being said you cannot expect the fill the type of holes the Bills have just through the draft. This is because we have failed to land top talent over the years with our top picks (M. Williams, Bledsoe trade, JP, McCargo....) If we had drafted well we would be shelling out big money to keep those players around (hopefully). Since we had some major wiffs, all that extra cash should be spent on UFA's to fill the gaps. Theoretically, if Losman became a top 10 QB, he would be getting 10 mil a year this offseason. Since he sucks and is not going to get a deal, we should give that 10 mill to a Peppers, Haynesworht, or Suggs. I believe FA is a means to fill in the gaps where you blew it on draft day.

The way to build a team is through the draft. The Bills need help at DE, TE, C, OLB. This year is a good draft for those positions, so maybe we can target our needs. However, that being said you cannot expect the fill the type of holes the Bills have just through the draft. This is because we have failed to land top talent over the years with our top picks (M. Williams, Bledsoe trade, JP, McCargo....) If we had drafted well we would be shelling out big money to keep those players around (hopefully). Since we had some major wiffs, all that extra cash should be spent on UFA's to fill the gaps. Theoretically, if Losman became a top 10 QB, he would be getting 10 mil a year this offseason. Since he sucks and is not going to get a deal, we should give that 10 mill to a Peppers, Haynesworht, or Suggs. I believe FA is a means to fill in the gaps where you blew it on draft day.

We also need help at safety. Lots of it.

And I wouldn't limit linebacker help to OLB. If there is an option better than Posluszny, take it. Move him to Ellison's spot. Or jumble him and Mitchell around. Regardless, the Bills need to acquire the best LB they can, whether he plays the inside or outside.

These posts always humor me...he DID spend money. He spent top dollar on Dockery and Walker when we needed help on our Oline. He spent money on Schobel, Kelsay, Denney (not saying wise money, but he SPENT money none the less), went out and got Stroud who doesn't have a small contract, signed Mitchell, Re-Signed Evans to a huge contract, etc, etc.

You can argue some of those were not wise moves (kelsay and Denney) but he is SPENDING more money the last few years than he is given credit for. And for the most part, most of those moves were good moves that improved our team.

Before the O-line additions, we had one of the worst O Lines in football. Before Stroud, we had one of the worst D Lines in football. The point is, the guy wants to win and is mad we are not winning. He is spending money and not just holding onto it.

Huh. Every year Ralph opens up his checkbook for FAs this board applauds signing. By extension, are you saying SDS should go out and get some talented TSW posters to replace the ones we've got now?

These posts always humor me...he DID spend money. He spent top dollar on Dockery and Walker when we needed help on our Oline. He spent money on Schobel, Kelsay, Denney (not saying wise money, but he SPENT money none the less), went out and got Stroud who doesn't have a small contract, signed Mitchell, Re-Signed Evans to a huge contract, etc, etc.

You can argue some of those were not wise moves (kelsay and Denney) but he is SPENDING more money the last few years than he is given credit for. And for the most part, most of those moves were good moves that improved our team.

Before the O-line additions, we had one of the worst O Lines in football. Before Stroud, we had one of the worst D Lines in football. The point is, the guy wants to win and is mad we are not winning. He is spending money and not just holding onto it.

Then Ralph is just penny-wise and pound-foolish!

You are right; the Bills have spent a considerable amount of money on free agents and locking up some players on the roster to long term deals. Whether or not those investments prove to be wise or foolish is a subject of debate. Mr. Wilson is spending money on players.

But where he falls short is in spending for FO and Coaching. If the Bills truly do not have the talent then it’s the fault of those whose job it is to go out and identify and acquire those players. And the coaches whose job it is to take whatever talent a player has and work with them to help it reach its potential.

But for arguments sake was it really Ralph who hired Dick Juron? Didn't he come with glowing recommendations from the then pseudo GM Marv Levy, after he went through the interview process of prospective coaches three years ago? So shouldn't we blame Marv for recommending Juron rather than blame Wilson for hiring him? So perhaps Wilson's fault is not his own judgment of coaches but rather his judgment in assessing the recommendations of his advisors?

That said I still think the blame ultimately falls at the owners feet...

You are right; the Bills have spent a considerable amount of money on free agents and locking up some players on the roster to long term deals. Whether or not those investments prove to be wise or foolish is a subject of debate. Mr. Wilson is spending money on players.

But where he falls short is in spending for FO and Coaching. If the Bills truly do not have the talent then it’s the fault of those whose job it is to go out and identify and acquire those players. And the coaches whose job it is to take whatever talent a player has and work with them to help it reach its potential.

But for arguments sake was it really Ralph who hired Dick Juron? Didn't he come with glowing recommendations from the then pseudo GM Marv Levy, after he went through the interview process of prospective coaches three years ago? So shouldn't we blame Marv for recommending Juron rather than blame Wilson for hiring him? So perhaps Wilson's fault is not his own judgment of coaches but rather his judgment in assessing the recommendations of his advisors?

That said I still think the blame ultimately falls at the owners feet...

Nice post...I totally agree. It frustrates me when Ralph gets accused of not spending money, because he clearly is. The lacking area right now is our FO. Part of that has to do with the sour taste in his mouth left by you know who.

It also frustrates me on Ralph catching flack on the coaches. Mularkey and Williams were hot items when they were hired, and most the posters saying Ralph is cheap based on him hiring inexperiecned coaches (which is why they were cheap) are also yelling for him to hire other UNPROVEN corrdinators to replace DJ, which coincidentally would be cheaper than say a Billick or Cowher.

The most frustrating argument is when he gets flack for being cheap because he hired DJ...he DID NOT hire DJ, MARV LEVY chose DJ and Ralph trusted his GM to do what he was hired to do...find talent and coaches. So, you can fault him for not having a stong enough front office, and its true. But be fair on where blame is assigned...

1. He spends money, so people need to get over the "he is cheap stuff"

2. Blame Marv for DJ, not Wilson

3. Dont accuse him of being cheap on his coaches because he went out and got a young up and coming coach then scream for him to make the same MISTAKE again this year. He brought in Williams because he was supposed to be tough and could help shore up a defense which was the weakest part of the team. Then he brought in Mularkey who was supposed to also be tough and able to spark our offense with creativity (which was the weakest part of our team then). At the times of their hires, they looked like promising choices. They didnt work out, it happens, doesnt mean he is cheap.

I think there is plenty of talent on this team. When the talent doesn't execute is come down, in my opinion, to questioning the heart of this team. There are few leaders emerging, or depth of leadership.

During the super bowl days they were called the bickering Bills, which was a misnomer. The problem was there were too many leaders whom were all trying to push the team.

The kind of leadership can not be drafted or evaluated. It evolves on the field.

That is the problem with the team. Not coaching, not talent.

We also need help at safety. Lots of it.

And I wouldn't limit linebacker help to OLB. If there is an option better than Posluszny, take it. Move him to Ellison's spot. Or jumble him and Mitchell around. Regardless, the Bills need to acquire the best LB they can, whether he plays the inside or outside.

Agreed, we need help at safety as well. I seem to not be as down on Poz as some others, I think he has been very solid agaisnt the run, while only a bit of a liabilty vrs the pass. Everytime he is beat by a pass it is only by a hair.

Either way that it my point. The Bills cannot expect to fill all of their holes and get some depth in key areas without free agency. It is a direct result of out crappy track record in the draft room.

Want to show me you are serious Ralph?

Julius Peppers or Albert Haynesworth

Its not that simple...they have to choose us over the other teams also opening up the checkbook for them...

Peppers is almost a certain lock to resign in Carolina, and Haynesworth likely resigns in Tenn or goes to a more another team offering as much money as we would that is more attractive...

I met Ralph outside of Sullivan stadium in Foxboro Mass 20 years ago and was convinced he was well on the road to demensia. How he is still responsible for his own bowels let alone an NFL franchise baffels me.

Nice comment. I'm going to guess that with dementia, he is still smarter than you.