The PR effort begins anew

BillsVet

Buffalo's PR guys know they've got an uphill climb to market this team for 2009. And IMO, letting people know that the popular QB supports the embattled HC is the first step to selling tickets for next year.

I've read here that some fans, while still supporting the team, clearly don't see the need to invest money in season tickets, the Sunday NFL Ticket, and merchandise as long as this team continues doing what they've done these past few years.

I'm beginning to think the Bills will retain Jauron, while doing their utmost to make it seem cosmetic changes (perhaps new coordinators, a new UFA, draft picks) will make this team a winner. It didn't work in 08, and I don't see it happening in 09.

Needless to say, the PR effort has to go into overdrive ASAP if DJ will be kept around next year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo's PR guys know they've got an uphill climb to market this team for 2009. And IMO, letting people know that the popular QB supports the embattled HC is the first step to selling tickets for next year.

I've read here that some fans, while still supporting the team, clearly don't see the need to invest money in season tickets, the Sunday NFL Ticket, and merchandise as long as this team continues doing what they've done these past few years.

I'm beginning to think the Bills will retain Jauron, while doing their utmost to make it seem cosmetic changes (perhaps new coordinators, a new UFA, draft picks) will make this team a winner. It didn't work in 08, and I don't see it happening in 09.

Needless to say, the PR effort has to go into overdrive ASAP if DJ will be kept around next year.

The "popular" QB isn't so popular anymore. Trent still has a FEW VOCAL diehard fans, but the rest of us see him for what he really is.

The "popular" QB isn't so popular anymore. Trent still has a FEW VOCAL diehard fans, but the rest of us see him for what he really is.

a young developing QB who has had 2 OC's in 2 years, his latest OC a rookie as well?

im still waiting for an answer from anyone who endorses cleaning house, as to how they think rebuilding will turn out better next season rather than holding on to some continuity?

a young developing QB who has had 2 OC's in 2 years, his latest OC a rookie as well?

im still waiting for an answer from anyone who endorses cleaning house, as to how they think rebuilding will turn out better next season rather than holding on to some continuity?

Perhaps because doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is an exercise in futility?

agreed...if these Bills fans were in control of teams.....star QB's like McNabb, McNair and Brees would have been run out of their towns for playing poorly their first couple of years!

This says it all about the "continuity" jauron will bring.

http://despair.com/tradition.html

Well you were right about how JP was so good, so I suppose we should trust opinion here too.

I have always maintained & still do that JP has POTENTIAL. All the EXCUSES given for Trent can be multiplied by 5 & applied to JP. When he goes to another team & has a chance to develop under GOOD coaching, we will find out if it was ONLY potential.

Why is keeping a bad coach on longer than three years somehow better than realizing that Dick isn't the guy and trying to find a better coach?

You are absolutely correct. It's just that I don't believe that we would get a better coach given our track record. So the only thing left is to try something else, like continuity.

Don't worry, I know it's a stretch but that's all I've got left.

A young INJURY PRONE QB that can't stay on the field, & for WHATEVER reason did not develop but in fact REGRESSED GREATLY, who has NEVER shown ability to play halfway decent in poor weather. That is what those of us aside from the Trent DIEHARDS see. Most of us don't think another 3 years of 7-9 is better than the CHANCE of improvement that COULD happen with a house cleaning.

You are absolutely correct. It's just that I don't believe that we would get a better coach given our track record. So the only thing left is to try something else, like continuity.

Don't worry, I know it's a stretch but that's all I've got left.

I understand, and I agree that it's very likely that Ralph would cheap out again and hire an unknown or retread and hope he catches lightning in a bottle.

As I said in another thread - I just don't like the idea of keeping a bad coach because we think that we'll hire another bad coach.

A young INJURY PRONE QB that can't stay on the field, & for WHATEVER reason did not develop but in fact REGRESSED GREATLY, who has NEVER shown ability to play halfway decent in poor weather. That is what those of us aside from the Trent DIEHARDS see. Most of us don't think another 3 years of 7-9 is better than the CHANCE of improvement that COULD happen with a house cleaning.

im not a "trent diehard". and changing the discussion into a pissing match by throwing around false labels doesnt get anyone anywhere.

i was a JP supporter a couple of years ago because i am a BILLS supporter. he had his chance (3 different times now) and he has proven again and again that he is not an NFL caliber QB. so i have moved on.

Trent has not had half the chances that JP has had and has shown much more promise (since you are so big on "potential"). Trent has shown better decision making and ball skills in his one year starting than JP ever has as a fifth year player.

Now, if the FO decided to bring in a veteran QB than I wouldnt be pissed off because my horse lost, like it seems so many people here are caught up in. I would be happy that the team is bringing in more experienced leadership. but i also wouldnt waste the energy trashing another Bill online like he is a horrible person just because "my guy" didnt make it.

and as far as your "chances" go, history has proven across the league that rebuilding will get you no where for the first couple of years. Yes, the dolphins and falcons managed to catch lightening in a bottle, but the Bills do not have Parcells like the Dolphins do, nor do they have Arthur Blank's money like the Falcons do.

so support the player that is in there since we cant do anything about it.

I have always maintained & still do that JP has POTENTIAL. All the EXCUSES given for Trent can be multiplied by 5 & applied to JP. When he goes to another team & has a chance to develop under GOOD coaching, we will find out if it was ONLY potential.

lol, John Gruden says the worst word used in the NFL is "Potential" and that nothing will end a player's or coach's career faster.

the few excuses given for trent HAVE BEEN applied to JP more than 5 times over.

the fact that you are still talking about JP on this team shows that you are not thinking about this in a rational way. the kid has proven that he does not deserve to be a starter. its sad, i really liked JP too, i really wanted him to succeed. but that aint happening here so get over it.

lol, John Gruden says the worst word used in the NFL is "Potential" and that nothing will end a player's or coach's career faster.

the few excuses given for trent HAVE BEEN applied to JP more than 5 times over.

the fact that you are still talking about JP on this team shows that you are not thinking about this in a rational way. the kid has proven that he does not deserve to be a starter. its sad, i really liked JP too, i really wanted him to succeed. but that aint happening here so get over it.

There was an old coach who said that "potential" means you haven't done anything yet.

Perhaps because doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is an exercise in futility?

That and it's the definition of insanity. <_<

Continuity is a good idea when things are going well. The Bills maintained continuity this year by simply promoting someone from within to be the OC. Everything else was the same....and the team still floundered.

Why would we think that maintaining the same offensive (and possibly defensive) philosophies would help this team? It's not like half the roster was on IR or the one player who couldn't possibly get injured did so.

Something needs to be done...Jauron is responsible for maintaining leadership and bringing the team out of the funk they were in and that didn't happen. His terrible on-field management has been badly exposed - including time management and when to throw the challenge flag. The offensive plays have become terribly predictable, yet mind-boggling at the same time.

At this point, I think any PR effort to sell the Bills with Dick Jauron as coach is like trying to sell a cold front to the North Pole.