The main reason Dick Jauron will be fired...

1billsfan

I think after his reaction to the Cleveland, San Francisco, & Miami losses, it's hard to say he doesn't care about wins/losses.

My guess is that he's a guy who wants his cake and eat it, too. I'm sure he HATES losing to the Dolphins and being embarrassed on Monday nights, but he doesn't want to pony up the $$$ to get the front office in shape to get the right group of coaches/players in here to win.

I still appreciate what Ralph has done to keep the team here, but this mentality has got to end soon.

Wings, that's what I'm getting at. He may pay lip service to the success of the team on the field, but his actions speak louder than his words.

I give him credit for bringing in Donahoe. It obviously didn't work out, but he swung for the fences with that one. Nearly every personnel move he's made since firing Donahoe (and plenty before him) evidences a guy who's more concerned with control, keeping costs down, etc. than building a consistent winner, a legitimate contender.

Your point about having his cake is spot on. He wants to win, but he doesn't want to commit to building a winning franchise. Which, in my mind, means he doesn't care nearly enough about doing what it takes to win.

If Ralph somehow gets around to firing Jauron, I will be right back here saying how wrong I was and how right you were, 1billsfan.

But until then, I think your faith in Ralph wanting to do the right thing is stupid (you're not stupid, your belief in Ralph... who has done nothing to earn it... is), beyond comprehension, completely unfounded, and so on. Put simply, Ralph DOESN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH TO WIN IN THE NFL. I'm not sure if he doesn't care, if he's only willing to go so far, if he's ignorant... but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

He isn't willing (or smart enough) to commit himself and his franchise to building a sustainable, successful venture. Ralph - and by extension the franchise - simply isn't committed to doing whatever it takes to win. They just don't try hard enough, and that's evident to those of us on the outside.

I can only imagine the apathy/comfort-with-mediocrity that has invaded One Bills Drive...

It's not faith, it's just something that I feel is inevitable given that this team is regressing in it's third year under Jauron and the Miami Dolphins went from 1-15 last year to winning the division (which I think will happen) a year later. Ralph is not going to tip his hand because Jauron is so well liked and respected throughout the league. He's not going to leave him dangling in the wind these last two weeks by making any comment inferring he's going to fire his head coach. Hey, if I'm wrong I'll be back saying how right you were on this one.

Two things -

1) this is the NFL, aka Not For Long league. We can't wait and hope that all the stars align and Dick somehow evolves into a good coach sometime in the next three or so years.

Even if this front office had the leash to give a coach an average salary, I'd still have my doubts about their chances of making a good hire. But their low budget handicaps them even more...they can hire coordinators nobody else wants to promote, or re-treads nobody else will touch, which is Jauron. So in order to hire a genuine quality head coach, they have to somehow find a guy like that amongst the garbage of the league. I seriously doubt this FO's ability to do that, and I don't want to go through 2-3 more years of Gregg/Mularkey who give us no chance to win.

I'd much rather take my chances with a mediocre coach who at least the players will play hard for. Lets just draft some fckin linemen.

...is the turnaround by the Miami Dolphins. I think Ralph is livid and will be all the more livid when Jauron brings the ship into port at 6-10 while the Miami Dolphins beat the Jets in the final game of the season and grab the AFC East title after going 1-15 the year before. I'm not even worried that Jauron is coming back. An extension does not trump a colossal disaster of this magnitude. It makes financial sense (unmarketable hopeless team in a down economy equals huge ticket sales drop) and football sense (losing 9 of last 10 games equals horrific coaching) to admit that he is simply not a capable head coach if having a winning season is a short or even a long term goal.

I still hope they give Tampa Bay DB coach, Raheem Morris a serious look for their next head coach. He sounds like the polar opposite of Dick Jauron in the passion and personality department. Please no more retreads Ralph. Look no further, Morris is the perfect fit here.

Don't forget the Brady-less Patriots, whom just about everyone wrote off for the season. Cassell comes in and plays like a bona fide starter and JP comes in and plays like ....... well.......the same JP we've had the displeasure of seeing every year he's been in Buffalo.

However, Sparano in My Yami is living proof what a good coach can do with an underachieving team. Do you think that fact will be lost on Wilson? History says.........yes.

Even if this front office had the leash to give a coach an average salary, I'd still have my doubts about their chances of making a good hire. But their low budget handicaps them even more...they can hire coordinators nobody else wants to promote, or re-treads nobody else will touch, which is Jauron. So in order to hire a genuine quality head coach, they have to somehow find a guy like that amongst the garbage of the league. I seriously doubt this FO's ability to do that, and I don't want to go through 2-3 more years of Gregg/Mularkey who give us no chance to win.

I'd much rather take my chances with a mediocre coach who at least the players will play hard for. Lets just draft some fckin linemen.

The issue of whether Ralph will pay for a better coach after getting rid of Dick is a separate issue. Jauron is a known commodity -- he's a guy who needs everything in the world to go right to lead his team to a winning season. We know what he brings to the table.

But let's keep trotting out a loser coach because the players "play hard for him." Sure, why not? I don't want to go through 2-3 more years of watching Dick's teams struggle because we might hire someone like Gregg or Mularkey.

Keeping a bad/mediocre at best coach for longer than three years is no better than replacing bad coaches every three years.

Jauron is coming back. He won't be fired. Get over it.

Ralph doesn't care about wins and losses. The franchise simply doesn't try hard enough to win, and it starts at the top. That's why Jauron will NOT be fired.

If he comes back again and the team is like 0-3 , he will be fired.

If he comes back again and the team is like 0-3 , he will be fired.

Nice..... - :bag:

That is a real fuc _ _ _ _ nightmare scenario - let Jauron come back next year and haing himself by going 0-3, then we have to find a new coach/system mid-season next year. I vote you as Mr. Dysfunction of the Year award.

Sack him NOW or after we finish 6-10 so at least we have a shot at hiring a halfway decent coach......not

My bet is he's fired extension or not. Assuming he signed an extension worth $2mil per year, assume an average ticket price of $60 each, that equals 33000 tickets per season or jus over 4000 per game. As has been mentioned, RW may be cheap, but not dumb. I also think RB will warn him that he'll easily lose that in ticket sales if he does nothing.

Everyone is assuming RW is cheap based on prior coaching choices. However when you consider the past two people hiring the past three coaches, you have to question who's idea was it, RW or the gm? From everything stated TD didn't want to hire a big name coach who could upstage him, so he went both times with a no-name and as a bonus came with low pay. Marv wanted someone he could talk to and wasn't going to get into any shouting matches with him, and things along those lines (i.e. no Jimmy Johnson or even a Brian Billick type), so again selected a low key guy without a large ego, which usally means lower pay too.

On one hand it wouldn't shock me to see RW again go cheap, but maybe he is willing to take one last shot at going out on top. The other thing that Miami could show him is it doesn't take years to turn it around. I don't think many here would disagree that right now the Bill's have more talant than Miami did last year at this point, and look how quick they moved on top. I don't think RW is nearly as bad as many here make him out to be and does want to win.

...is the turnaround by the Miami Dolphins. I think Ralph is livid and will be all the more livid when Jauron brings the ship into port at 6-10 while the Miami Dolphins beat the Jets in the final game of the season and grab the AFC East title after going 1-15 the year before. I'm not even worried that Jauron is coming back. An extension does not trump a colossal disaster of this magnitude. It makes financial sense (unmarketable hopeless team in a down economy equals huge ticket sales drop) and football sense (losing 9 of last 10 games equals horrific coaching) to admit that he is simply not a capable head coach if having a winning season is a short or even a long term goal.

I still hope they give Tampa Bay DB coach, Raheem Morris a serious look for their next head coach. He sounds like the polar opposite of Dick Jauron in the passion and personality department. Please no more retreads Ralph. Look no further, Morris is the perfect fit here.

Give up Ralphy boy is going to bring him back next year. Same owner that returned Mularky. At least Mularky had the sense to quit - DJ does not.

^^ you read my post yesterday didn't you. My guess is Bobby April gets coach, Dick gets VP of football operations and we lose Turk and AVP. That way we stay with our "cosintancy" and RB get to sell tickets. I wouldn't doubt we bring in some big name "talent" (i.e. Peppers) and let go more overpaid people too. I also think we get some new scouts (FA and draft).

Is it a good plan? IDFK..................

but it may excite some people around here.

I remember back in the mid 90's when Shredd & Ragan (from 103.3 The Foxx/Edge) would have a contest called "Don't Be A Dick". They would call random people in the phonebook with the name Richard and ask to speak to their wife (or ask them) what do you call your husband, "Richard" "Rich" or "Dick". If it was anything else besides "Dick" that person won a prize, but if that person said "Dick" then they would lose and Shredd & Ragan would say "thanks for playing Don't be a Dick". Too bad they couldn't do a spinoff of that now with Dick Jauron.

Thankfully I won't have to get over it. Ralph may be cheap, but the guy does have a breaking point and seeing the Dolphins fly past his team in only one season while the Dick Jauron model is regressing after three seasons is his breaking point. Mark my words, Dick Jauron has no shot at coming back for another year here as head coach.

Any heartburn Ralph may have from getting thrashed by the Fins will be grossly overshadowed by Ralph's inability to buy out coaches contracts.

The bills will be stuck with Jauron and the inept front office until new ownership takes over.

Ralph has no fear of losing ticket sales since fans in Buffalo will not give up their priority seats due to 20 or 30 years of paying their dues.

Thats an interesting thought, though I believe he could refuse any job other than coach as that is what he signed a contract to do (assuming it is signed). I do think DJ would be the type of guy who'd agree to it though, so will see, but I will be surprised if he is back.

I agree wit hanother post, RW does want to win as muc has any owner in the legue, he just isn't willing to pay for it as easily as other will. But will see what happens.

Jauron will be kicked upstairs in some other capacity than head coach. He'll still work for Ralph, but he's done as their coach. Ralph will get something for his $ & we'll get a new coach.

My bet is he's fired extension or not. Assuming he signed an extension worth $2mil per year, assume an average ticket price of $60 each, that equals 33000 tickets per season or jus over 4000 per game. As has been mentioned, RW may be cheap, but not dumb. I also think RB will warn him that he'll easily lose that in ticket sales if he does nothing.

Everyone is assuming RW is cheap based on prior coaching choices. However when you consider the past two people hiring the past three coaches, you have to question who's idea was it, RW or the gm? From everything stated TD didn't want to hire a big name coach who could upstage him, so he went both times with a no-name and as a bonus came with low pay. Marv wanted someone he could talk to and wasn't going to get into any shouting matches with him, and things along those lines (i.e. no Jimmy Johnson or even a Brian Billick type), so again selected a low key guy without a large ego, which usally means lower pay too.

On one hand it wouldn't shock me to see RW again go cheap, but maybe he is willing to take one last shot at going out on top. The other thing that Miami could show him is it doesn't take years to turn it around. I don't think many here would disagree that right now the Bill's have more talant than Miami did last year at this point, and look how quick they moved on top. I don't think RW is nearly as bad as many here make him out to be and does want to win.

<_< Great post. Very astute take on the recent past coaches.

You guys really underestimate just how frugal Ralph Wilson really is <_<

Not only will Jauron stay as head coach But Wilson won't hire a real GM either,saving him a few more million a year.

My take is the guy lived through the great depression and bought this team for what? 30k+? And now its worth 800+Million? It must drive him crazy on how high the salaries have gotten to...

If I recall correctly it took Bill Polian some really tough wrangling to get Wilson to put up the cash to bring in Jim Kelly.I think the only real reason he actually paid kelly is because Al Davis was courting kelly also,sending him to England with some raiderettes.

I think Ralph wants the team to get into the playoffs just to put butts in the seats to keep the franchise above water. I really doubt he wants a world championship because he simply refuses hire highly talented coaches and front office personnel.He got Marv levy for a song,why pay anyone else a ton of cash.

Jauron will be kicked upstairs in some other capacity than head coach. He'll still work for Ralph, but he's done as their coach. Ralph will get something for his $ & we'll get a new coach.

I doubt it...

What I'd like to see happen is Jauron getting KICKED downstairs to the DC position and still retain him and hire a new head coach with an offensive background.

Someone smart enough to not call passing plays with a back up QB in the game on second and Five when the running back has been killing the opponent and they had just made a first down against a stacked box.

Honestly,I don't see how Ralph Wilson can sell the fans this head coach when he gets swept in the division this badly <_<