They could bring in Payton Manning to play QB

jwws9999

Considering we are down our TOP defensive end, one of our projected starting linebackers (Crowell), a DT who turned out to be a complete bust (McCargo), a cornerback who showed up in a big way (Youboty), and another cornerback who is arguably our best (Greer), our defense is NOT the most pitiful you've ever seen.

Defense isn't the problem.

And by the way, we'd win plenty of games with either Manning.

Just reference the first batch of games. When Trent had his head on straight and was making plays, our team was totally different. Granted the competition was weaker but when the quarterback is competent, you have a much greater chance of winning. Even with one of the worst possible options yesterday (JP), we still almost won. Don't tell me Manning wouldn't have won that game.

And by the way, we'd win plenty of games with either Manning.

Just reference the first batch of games. When Trent had his head on straight and was making plays, our team was totally different. Granted the competition was weaker but when the quarterback is competent, you have a much greater chance of winning. Even with one of the worst possible options yesterday (JP), we still almost won. Don't tell me Manning wouldn't have won that game.

you're right, the competition was weaker. the jets would've score 50 yesterday if favre hadn't been throwing so bad. watch the giants, steelers, cowboys, and ravens play defense, even if we had those injured players back, our defense would look nothing like them

you're right, the competition was weaker. the jets would've score 50 yesterday if favre hadn't been throwing so bad. watch the giants, steelers, cowboys, and ravens play defense, even if we had those injured players back, our defense would look nothing like them

I'll agree with you that the Giants, Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens and don't forget the Titans all look like world beaters compared to our team, but what about the man you referenced? What team does he play for? The Colts. Not exactly recognized as having a great defense. Peyton is the main reason that team has been so successful despite plenty of turnover throughout the years.

Another thing we can agree about is the talent on the defense isn't great, but if you add all of the names I mentioned, and consider how our defense has played, I think it's far from being the worst defense this team has had in a long time. Our record could be dramatically different if we had a real quarterback, like Peyton Manning, as you mentioned.

Now do you see my point? I can go through the games (we could've won with any semblance of a competent quarterback) if you'd like...

I'll agree with you that the Giants, Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens and don't forget the Titans all look like world beaters compared to our team, but what about the man you referenced? What team does he play for? The Colts. Not exactly recognized as having a great defense. Peyton is the main reason that team has been so successful despite plenty of turnover throughout the years.

Another thing we can agree about is the talent on the defense isn't great, but if you add all of the names I mentioned, and consider how our defense has played, I think it's far from being the worst defense this team has had in a long time. Our record could be dramatically different if we had a real quarterback, like Peyton Manning, as you mentioned.

Now do you see my point? I can go through the games (we could've won with any semblance of a competent quarterback) if you'd like...

He's not interested in actual discussion... this was another one in a series of LAMPs in which people go out of their way to say how bad the Bills are, how they will always be bad, etc. etc. Must be some sort of catharsis thing.

I haven't seen such overheated hate for a team from its fans since the Sabres adopted the Slug. :wallbash:

There isnt a GM in the league that would take the Colts defense over our defense when healthy...so your argument is a lame one about not being able to win with Manning becuase of our defense. With Manning we would be at least 11-3 right now...hands down. We dont lose any of the close games, AZ game is MUCH more competitive...etc, etc.

Considering we are down our TOP defensive end, one of our projected starting linebackers (Crowell), a DT who turned out to be a complete bust (McCargo), a cornerback who showed up in a big way (Youboty), and another cornerback who is arguably our best (Greer), our defense is NOT the most pitiful you've ever seen.

Defense isn't the problem.

Watch just about any defense in the league this year. The Bills defense is very close to being the worst defense, and worst coached, in the league, no matter who is playing on that side of the ball. It's the same story, new year for this team. If any of the current coaching staff is around next year, expect the same thing, high expectations, low results.

Watch just about any defense in the league this year. The Bills defense is very close to being the worst defense, and worst coached, in the league, no matter who is playing on that side of the ball. It's the same story, new year for this team. If any of the current coaching staff is around next year, expect the same thing, high expectations, low results.

Simply not true, from a statistical standpoint. We are ranked #13 in total defense. That means 19 teams are below us.

The only game they looked pathetic was the Arizona game.

Here are some scores from the opposing teams, and I'd like you to tell me how they are very close to being the worst defense in the league: 16, 10, 14, 14, 16, 10 and 20.

All that being said, we need help on that side of the ball. Specifically some defensive ends would be nice. But don't tell me they are close to being the worst in the league.

Simply not true, from a statistical standpoint. We are ranked #13 in total defense. That means 19 teams are below us.

The only game they looked pathetic was the Arizona game.

Here are some scores from the opposing teams, and I'd like you to tell me how they are very close to being the worst defense in the league: 16, 10, 14, 14, 16, 10 and 20.

All that being said, we need help on that side of the ball. Specifically some defensive ends would be nice. But don't tell me they are close to being the worst in the league.

exactly :wallbash:

Dont forget how often our D is on the field too as our offense hasnt been sustaining too many drives as of late. Not to mention some of our wins were a direct result of our D coming up big late in the game with TD's and turnovers.

"The best defense is a good offense." - Mel, the cook on "Alice."

The Bills suffer from the lack of a #2 (some say #1) WR. Look at the Giants without Burress. Their offense is toast (went from scoring 29.4 PPG to 11).

Statistics don't tell the whole story. It's apparent when you look at the completion percentage of QB's for the season. They have all day to throw, the defense can't get off the field and when a stop is absolutely necessary, the opposing team walks down the field because they know what the Bills defense is going to do. It's all about coaching and this staff is not qualified to take this team and defense into a level that makes anyone stand up and say "wow, look at that defense". They are below average at best even though statistically speaking, they are middle of the road.

He's not interested in actual discussion... this was another one in a series of LAMPs in which people go out of their way to say how bad the Bills are, how they will always be bad, etc. etc. Must be some sort of catharsis thing.

I haven't seen such overheated hate for a team from its fans since the Sabres adopted the ----. :wallbash:

Please, I implore you... don't even utter such words around here. We don't want Russ to somehow through the ether get the notion in his head that a new logo is what's needed to excite the fanbase next year. If they adopted such a disgrace, that'd probably be enough to put me over the top and make me walk away.

The question I have is who would have the biggest positive impact on this team in a dream world:

Bill Bellichick

Peyton Manning

Albert Haynesworth

Julius Peppers

Someone else?

Which one role and one person do you think is the place where upgrading to the best on the planet would make a biggest difference. In my minds it is obviously Head Coach.

But Alas, I don't think it matters much if we fire DJ, because I think the current management would be very bad at finding a better replacement, and I don't think change for change's sake will help.

The question I have is who would have the biggest positive impact on this team in a dream world:

Bill Bellichick

Peyton Manning

Albert Haynesworth

Julius Peppers

Someone else?

Which one role and one person do you think is the place where upgrading to the best on the planet would make a biggest difference. In my minds it is obviously Head Coach.

But Alas, I don't think it matters much if we fire DJ, because I think the current management would be very bad at finding a better replacement, and I don't think change for change's sake will help.

1.bellichex

2. Manning

If we had even AVERAGE CONSISTENT QB play and a competent offensive coaching staff that established a true balanced offensive identity then we'd be at least 10-4; with Manning we'd be 13-1! Even though our D isn't dominant and the pass rush sucks, Manning has taken teams with way worse Defenses far into the playoffs and to the SB!

We don't even have to change personell on offense with a capable QB as our skilled players aren't that bad and the O-line pass blocking has been sufficent the past 2 years. Think about it: if Manning had all day to scan defenses as our Qb's have had most of the year, you don't think he could find an open WR at least 80% of the time? Do you think defenses would stack the box against Lynch with Manning scaring them to back up or audibling out and killing them with Lee going deep?