Charles Barkley is ripschitt that Turner Gill was not hired by Auburn

PromoTheRobot

Barkley speaks

We all know Charles Barkley loves to hear himself but he makes some good points. He was part of the search committee for a new basketball coach. Barkley presented 3 qualified black coaches with NCAA tourney experience. Instead they hired a less experienced white coach...after they removed Barkley from the committee. Auburn basketball has floundered ever since.

PTR

Barkley speaks

We all know Charles Barkley loves to hear himself but he makes some good points. He was part of the search committee for a new basketball coach. Barkley presented 3 qualified black coaches with NCAA tourney experience. Instead they hired a less experienced white coach...after they removed Barkley from the committee. Auburn basketball has floundered ever since.

PTR

Perhaps he wants to comment as to why something like 40% of the murders in America are perpetrated by that 2% or so of Americans who are black and male and between the ages of something like 16 to 40 years old.

As long as he's being racist...

:wallbash:

Barkley speaks

PTR

so just to make sure i understand this,

barkley presents 3 qualified black coaches and no white,mexican,ect, and he is calling the school racist.

shouldn't he have presented the best options for the job rather than simply qualified black coaches?

looks like the pot is calling the kettle black on this one.(no pun intended)

charles barkley is intelligent, but most times comes off as a blowhard gambling addict.

so just to make sure i understand this,

barkley presents 3 qualified black coaches and no white,mexican,ect, and he is calling the school racist.

shouldn't he have presented the best options for the job rather than simply qualified black coaches?

looks like the pot is calling the kettle black on this one.(no pun intended)

charles barkley is intelligent, but most times comes off as a blowhard gambling addict.

That is true, but I would guess Barkley felt that the point of being on that committee was to bring qualified black coaches to the table. I mean out of 119 football programs and 300+ basketball programs, how many head coaches are black? When the majority of players over decades are black, there is something screwy when only a tiny percentage ever ascend to a head coaching position.

PTR

Perhaps he wants to comment as to why something like 40% of the murders in America are perpetrated by that 2% or so of Americans who are black and male and between the ages of something like 16 to 40 years old.

What does that have anything to do with what Barkley said? Seriously.

Think about the recruiting advantage Auburn would have had if they had hired a qualified black coach like Gill. For a black coach to go around the southeast and offer black athletes a chance to play for him at a major college could have made the difference between them going to Auburn and another school.

Seriously...are you thick? Barkley gets a pass because of the color of his skin. The default is that he can chirp racism, but never can be accused of racism. Please...haven't you figured that out? :wallbash:

His school is in the Ivy league from a sports point of view but not so much in a critical thinking point of view.

But still, there is racism in both directions and that is sad. It is a very real possibility that if Turner Gill had done the same stuff but was white, he would have been hired. He should have just sent in his resume and not interviewed. The name Turner Gill sounds like a white guy.

Seriously...are you thick? Barkley gets a pass because of the color of his skin. The default is that he can chirp racism, but never can be accused of racism. Please...haven't you figured that out? :wallbash:

Of course that's true. But you use the murder rate among young black men as an example. Why should he be talking about that? He's a sports personality, not an inner city beat journalist. And how is his statement racist? He pointed out that the Auburn bball program hired a less qualified white coach and passed up opportunities on other better qualified coaches, seemingly because they're black. Also, they turned down Gill who has to be one of the hottest coaches on the market right now. I'm not saying that racism is 100% involved here, but you have to admit it's a pretty sketchy situation.

cincy, please identify where Sir Charles said anything racist.

he can cry racism AND be accused of racism, but in this situation I haven't heard anything racist from him. If he said "Auburn hired a white coach when everyone knows black people are better at basketball/football" then yes, you have a case against him. but so far, i think all he has said was along the lines of "The school opted to go with a less experienced white coach over 3 more experienced black coaches, because they are racist". Nothing wrong with that. He went there, he knows the situation better than us. I tell you what, being right next door in Georgia, I dont really doubt what he is saying.

Link?

What does that have anything to do with what Barkley said? Seriously.

It gives Cincy a place to put his stupid comments because he doesn't want to start his own thread about it. :angry:

Seriously...are you thick? Barkley gets a pass because of the color of his skin. The default is that he can chirp racism, but never can be accused of racism. Please...haven't you figured that out? :censored:

No, I think you need to figure things out. Once again what does the supposed percentage of murder rates among blacks have anything to do with Barkley or this discussion. :doh:

If you want to ask that question start a thread about it. It doesn't fit here. Seriously, are you thick?

yeah fatboy charles conveniently skips that

Link?

It gives Cincy a place to put his stupid comments because he doesn't want to start his own thread about it. :wallbash:

No, I think you need to figure things out. Once again what does the supposed percentage of murder rates among blacks have anything to do with Barkley or this discussion. :censored:

If you want to ask that question start a thread about it. It doesn't fit here. Seriously, are you thick?

It has a lot to do with it.What if the new auburn coach decides to murder some of the players? Think about it.

seriously even if Gill leaves UB, which seems like a near certainty, UB should continue to take advantage of the untapped talent of African American coaches that the good ole boy networks of college football still avoid like the plague.

It is a rare opportunity for UB to actually have a competitive advantage.

seriously even if Gill leaves UB, which seems like a near certainty, UB should continue to take advantage of the untapped talent of African American coaches that the good ole boy networks of college football still avoid like the plague.

It is a rare opportunity for UB to actually have a competitive advantage.

Gill has two black asst coaches that are likely successors if/when he leaves. Asst. HC Danny Barrett is the likely #1, and DC Jimmy Williams is #2. Actually Barrett is being courted by Miami OH and the Toronto Argos. When it comes to blacks in positions of authority, no D1 school has it over UB. Does it make a difference in recruiting. I don't know but it doesn't hurt.

PTR

It has a lot to do with it.What if the new auburn coach decides to murder some of the players? Think about it.

:doh:

Francessa today made the point that college coaches need to do a lot of hobnobbing with alumni, cocktail parties etc and that like it or not, it's tougher for a black coach to fit into that situation - especially down south.

I'm sure that's true but winning cures all ills.

Barkley says.... "Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."

A bit later he says... "They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."

Iowa State's program sucks a lot more than Kansas State. So, Charles, did you ever stop to think that maybe that factored into their decision with Chizik?

Not that Chizik is the best choice, he isn't, but that argument is full of crap.