Phantom TD call-NFL's gift to Pats??....

Boatdrinks

Color me very suspicious of Steelers non TD overturned by review. There was no clear evidence that the correct call of no TD that was made on the field should be overturned. However, a deeper look at the situation reveals an interesting fact. A Ravens win would greatly reduce the chances of "the franchise", the golden boy NE Patriots making the playoffs. Even if NE wins their final two games as they are likely to do. The NFL is no fan of defensive juggernauts like the Ravens, as they are not a ratings draw and would much prefer the Pats in the playoffs than Baltimore. If the Ravens won PIT and BAL would both have ten wins. If they both finished with 11 wins (likely) the Pats would lose out in any wild card scenario and would have to win the AFC East (unlikely) to get in. I know the Steelers would likely have kicked a FG and the game would go to overtime, but this "review" seems a convenient way to dispatch the Ravens. With games remaining @DAL and Vs JAX, the Ravens would likely finish with 11 wins. Now 19 wins looks likely and the defensive minded Ravens will be sitting home for the Playoffs while the genius and the boy wonder backup with the franchise that will not die can get the NFL their ratings. Ravens fans got boned, along with us Bills fans who despise no team more than the Patriots. Can there be a more certain victory for NE that week 17 @Buffalo?

I said the same thing in another thread yesterday--glad to see I'm not the only one who will no doubt be called a conspiracy theorist by Pats* fans--anyone who watched that replay knows there's no way in heck that that call on the field should have been overturned on that video evidence. It was all just too weird.....

I said the same thing in another thread yesterday--glad to see I'm not the only one who will no doubt be called a conspiracy theorist by Pats* fans--anyone who watched that replay knows there's no way in heck that that call on the field should have been overturned on that video evidence. It was all just too weird.....

I don't know about conspiracy for the Pats*, but it seems the Steelers are usually a beneficiary of some....uh...."poor officiating".

Good to see that the conspiracy theories are alive and well. :sick:

I agree. I hate the Pats* more than the next guy but I think that touchdown was just a bad call by the officials. The Ravens can still win out and make the playoffs. If you want to worry about something look at yesterdays game and think to yourself what might be if Buffalo beat the Jests. It would have moved the Pats* & Miami into a first place tie. And Buffalo can still steal glory from the Pats* by beating them in their last home game. :thumbsup:

When it comes to those replays it all depends on what the refs calls.........

If the ref calls a TD there has to be sufficient evidence its not a TD, and if its called before the ball goes into the endzone and they are down then again the instant play has to show otherwise......

But in the end its what the ref calls from the get go....

Regardless of who you root for...the bottom line is, IT WAS A TOUCHDOWN!!!! Both feet were down in the endzone, the nose of the ball penetrated the goal line. In the end, the righ call was made. End of story.

Sorry, but there was NO WAY to determine from those replays if any part of the ball ever broke the plane when possesion was established. In fact when he tucked the ball in only one foot was on the ground. From the side angle (no depth perception) it looked as though you could see a bit of white (goal line) behind the tip of the ball. from the rear angle (depth) the ball was nowhere near the goal line, and was a good bit ahead of it. Bottom line is the call on the field was no TD. Appeared to be a good call. If they had called TD, there was not enough evidence on replay to overturn it. To a man, every football "expert" on the post game shows thought the original call should stand. The key phrase with replay being indisputable evidence. It did not exist on this replay.

I was also really looking forward to seeing the play call on 4th down had it not been overturned. FG for the tie or go for the win?

I'm sure there was already discussion on this yesterday...

After being stuffed in the goal line last week Vs Dallas, I think Tomlin would have kicked the FG. Points were hard to come by in that game.

Color me very suspicious of Steelers non TD overturned by review. There was no clear evidence that the correct call of no TD that was made on the field should be overturned. However, a deeper look at the situation reveals an interesting fact. A Ravens win would greatly reduce the chances of "the franchise", the golden boy NE Patriots making the playoffs. Even if NE wins their final two games as they are likely to do. The NFL is no fan of defensive juggernauts like the Ravens, as they are not a ratings draw and would much prefer the Pats in the playoffs than Baltimore. If the Ravens won PIT and BAL would both have ten wins. If they both finished with 11 wins (likely) the Pats would lose out in any wild card scenario and would have to win the AFC East (unlikely) to get in. I know the Steelers would likely have kicked a FG and the game would go to overtime, but this "review" seems a convenient way to dispatch the Ravens. With games remaining @DAL and Vs JAX, the Ravens would likely finish with 11 wins. Now 19 wins looks likely and the defensive minded Ravens will be sitting home for the Playoffs while the genius and the boy wonder backup with the franchise that will not die can get the NFL their ratings. Ravens fans got boned, along with us Bills fans who despise no team more than the Patriots. Can there be a more certain victory for NE that week 17 @Buffalo?

There were 2 clear angles showing the ball breaking the plain, in fact, the question was not did the ball break the plain, but were his feet clearly down in play at the moment he did catch the ball and the replay CLEARLY showed his feet were down. Even the ref said this in announcing his ruling on the field.

In fact, I have yet to see a single sportscaster say it was NOT a TD...every highlight and review of that game has had the sporstcaster agree it was the right call. It amazes me how deep some people will go to create a conspiracy, unless you believe the sportscasters are all in on it to from various media outlets. Even during halftime in the Dallas game last night they said the call was right and it was a TD...

Sorry, but there was NO WAY to determine from those replays if any part of the ball ever broke the plane when possesion was established. In fact when he tucked the ball in only one foot was on the ground. From the side angle (no depth perception) it looked as though you could see a bit of white (goal line) behind the tip of the ball. from the rear angle (depth) the ball was nowhere near the goal line, and was a good bit ahead of it. Bottom line is the call on the field was no TD. Appeared to be a good call. If they had called TD, there was not enough evidence on replay to overturn it. To a man, every football "expert" on the post game shows thought the original call should stand. The key phrase with replay being indisputable evidence. It did not exist on this replay.

Did you watch the Dallas game last night, more specifically halftime? They had 2 clear angles of the ball breaking the plain and then showed a zoomed in shot of his left clearly on the ground with his right foot being drug through the endzone the entire play, never leaving the ground even after the catch. At no point were his feet off the ground during the catch or after the catch...

There were 2 clear angles showing the ball breaking the plain, in fact, the question was not did the ball break the plain, but were his feet clearly down in play at the moment he did catch the ball and the replay CLEARLY showed his feet were down. Even the ref said this in announcing his ruling on the field.

In fact, I have yet to see a single sportscaster say it was NOT a TD...every highlight and review of that game has had the sporstcaster agree it was the right call. It amazes me how deep some people will go to create a conspiracy, unless you believe the sportscasters are all in on it to from various media outlets. Even during halftime in the Dallas game last night they said the call was right and it was a TD...

Read Peter King's column today--he didn't think it should have been overturned, and he's the biggest "NFL Officiating"/Mike Pereira rah, rah guy around......

When it comes to those replays it all depends on what the refs calls.........

If the ref calls a TD there has to be sufficient evidence its not a TD, and if its called before the ball goes into the endzone and they are down then again the instant play has to show otherwise......

But in the end its what the ref calls from the get go....

You're not making any sense. The play was ruled dead at the 12 inch line. That was what the ref called. There needs to be INDISPUTABLE VISUAL EVIDENCE to overturn a call. Did you see IVE?

Umm, Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, Chris Collinsworth, Bob Costas, and the rest of the Sunday Night crew all said the original call should have stood. No TD. The trouble with replays is you only get 2 dimensions. There is no "depth". This is why on one angle the tip of the ball looks as if it might be over the line and from the other angle (behind, where you get some perception of depth) the ball seems a good half foot away from the plane. The call on the field was no TD. Citing replay rules and the purpose of replay in general -to overturn OBVIOUSLY wrong calls with INDISPUTABLE evidence- the original call should have stood. Perhaps you were watching sportscasters from say..Pittsburgh?

Nope. Borderline call, and nobody knows what the right answer is here. Here's what bothers me about these officiating conspiracy theories (like this one and the hochuli mistake earlier on)...If the refs really wanted to fix the game, they wouldn't have to do it so blatantly. If the fix was really in, nobody would notice. There would be a phantom holding call here, a false start there...maybe they say somebody stepped out of bounds when they actually didn't. They wouldn't wait until the final minute of the game and just rely on the fact that there will be a borderline call. That's what makes these sort of conspiracy theories ridiculous.

If you want to assert that the refs favor the Patriots*, maybe you should cite how they were not called for a single holding penalty in 2007.